PDA

View Full Version : I Need Quick Advice!

CarmelCreame
07-13-2004, 02:06 PM
I just got 2 adorable little puppies 3 days ago, but im not sure if they feel at home. What are some ways to make them feel comfortable here??? :confused:

aly
07-13-2004, 02:12 PM
How old are the puppies?

What makes you feel they aren't comfortable? What are they doing?

CarmelCreame
07-13-2004, 02:15 PM
They are 9 weeks and they shiver alot they even shiver when i wrap them in a warm blanket. And they sleep alot! :rolleyes:

aly
07-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Where did you get them? Have they been seen by a vet to rule out any sickness?

At that age, they should adjust pretty quickly to the environment. However, if they weren't socialized properly, it is very possible that you'll have a longer adjustment period ahead. They're still in their critical socialization period though, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

bckrazy
07-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Make sure the pups are cratetrained asap! Buy a crate for each of the pups and get them each their own beds and special toys to keep in their crates.. slowly get them used to their crates until they consider them their dens. The crates will also help a lot with housebreaking. Also make sure the pups have plenty of toys and chewies to help with teething.. Puppy Kongs, Nylabones, and Teething rings are definately essential, so are the usual stuffies and fun toys. Spend lots of time handling and playing with the pups, bring them everywhere with you, socialize them with people and animals of all ages, and get them used to all the noises in the world (cars, kids, music, everything!). Also make sure you get them enrolled in Puppy Kindergarten and Puppy Play classes, both help a lot with early manners and socialization! All of this should help to get your pups bonded to you, and give them a very good start in life. what are the breeds and ages of the babies? and where did you get them? It can be pretty dificult to raise two puppies at once, so I hope some one is living with you and can help out ;)

Crate/Potty Training Link (http://www.perfectpaws.com/crt.html)

bckrazy
07-13-2004, 02:27 PM
O_o didnt see the reply. As Aly said, if the pups are shivering, that is not a good sign at all! Take them to your vet asap and have them looked over.. they could be very sick. If its not a health issue, they could be frightened which is unusual for a healthy, well-socialized puppy. If you got them from a breeder, I'd contact them immediately.

CarmelCreame
07-13-2004, 03:23 PM
ok thanks for the advice :)

aly
07-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Taking them to a lot of places is great advice. But I just wanted to warn not to take them to pet stores, dog parks, or other high traffic dog areas until they're about 6 months old and have had their 3rd booster shot. I would get them around as many people as possible though. And Puppy Kindegarten would be great!

Hopefully they'll settle into your home soon. Be careful to spend one on one time with each of them so they don't overbond to each other and stop listening to you.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Well, don't take them to a lot of places it they haven't gotten all of their shots yet. Give them lots and lots of love. Give them plenty of toys, treats, and love, love, love!!!!!

Where did you get them?

*LabLoverKEB*
07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Oh, sorry Aly, I just now read that you had said to get their shots before you take them places! I should read before I post!:D

heinz57_79
07-13-2004, 04:08 PM
I agree with LabLover... If they haven't had all their shots, and at 9 weeks there's no way they have, they need to stay in your house and in your yard. Lots of love, treats, play time. If they've only recently been separated from their mom and litter they could be going thru separation anxiety, and they'll need all the reassurance you can give that this is home now, and it's a great place to be! :)

chrissycat21
07-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Like bckrazy said, you should make their crate a safe place that isn't used for punishment, where they can go if they are scared. If they want to stay together, get a large crate. But you might want to get 2 seperate crates incase they need some space.

Also, do take them to the vet.

Where they bought from a petstore? Becuase petstore dogs normally come from puppy mills where the living conditions, health, etc. are not the best.

-Chrissy

CarmelCreame
07-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I got them from a rescue center. They are playing now so i think they were just really stressed from being seperated.