PDA

View Full Version : Guinea Pigs

chrissycat21
07-13-2004, 08:15 AM
My guinea pig has 2 bald spots on his side. I read somewhere that it can be a sign of old age. Is that true? (He also has a tumor, the vet checked that out, not cancer. yay!) I'm taking him to the vet this weekend for a checkup and his nails are over grown so I'm gonna have the vet cut them....

-Chrissy

tatsxxx11
07-22-2004, 05:31 PM
My Rosie developed bald spots a few weeks after her adoption from our local shelter. I did notice that she was scratching and biting her coat a lot. I couldn't see anything crawling on her coat or skin and she's white so those should be easy to see. But, when the vet checked her, (she did a skin scraping) she found mites under the microscope. She gave her an injectin (an antiparastic) and I had to give her 3 baths with a stinky sulfur sol. over a couple of weeks. That did the trick and she's been fine since.

I'm so glad your piggie's tumor was not cancer:) Hopefully a vet visit will determine the cause of the bald spots. I'm sure a senior piggie would be more prone to balding too as she gets older. Hope all goes well. Please check back! And hugs to your baby!

chrissycat21
07-23-2004, 11:21 AM
I haven't been able to get Taffy to the vet yet...When I tried last weekend they were closed. I think the bald spots may just be from him rubbing up against the sides of his Pigloo Igloo thing. I'm hoping its something simple like that....

-Chrissy

tatsxxx11
07-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Me too Chrissy! Hoping for a good report. Check in after the visit:)

wolfie
07-24-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm not sure what it could be, but I'm hoping for the best for your piggy!

*wheek wheek* from Lily and Amelia! ^_^

chrissycat21
08-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Well, I'm really happy right now! I see no reason to take Taffy to the vet other than a nail trimming and just a reg. check up. His bald patches have grown in with a new layer of fur and I am hoping it was just that he was rubbing up on something in his cage.

I've been taking him outside a lot more since its nice weather here and he has been doing great. He is getting more active than he has in a long time and his eyes look so much brighter!

-Chrissy

tatsxxx11
08-04-2004, 07:26 PM
So glad to hear the happy news, Chrissy and Taffy! Isn't it great to go outdoors and enjoy the nice weather!:D

wolfie
08-04-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm glad to hear he's doing better too! :D