PDA

View Full Version : I applied for a Vet's Assistant job today

moosmom
07-12-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have the experience they're looking for.

On the way home, I stopped at the Trenton Animal Shelter (WHY do I torture myself like this???)

The ACO was a snot. There were about 7 cats total. There was this beautiful Tuxie female who kept reaching out through the bars. My heart aches for those babies. I asked the ACO how long they keep the cats. Her response, "It depends on the cage space." I walked out thoroughly disgusted. The litterboxes were filthy, some had no food, some had no water. I asked her if they accept volunteers and she said no.

*sigh* :( :(

leslie flenner
07-12-2004, 09:39 PM
what's an ACO- animal control officer? Do they not have room for more cages? do they not have a web page for adoption? do they not bring adoptable pets to a pet store for adoption day/screenings? Well my goodness! This person was a snot so even if they do nothing to help the animals get adopted, sounds like they are not willing to do anything cost effective either! What's going on with the other shelter- zilch?
And how are you?

kimlovescats
07-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Good luck, Donna!;)

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2004, 01:02 AM
I sure hope you get the job Donna. Good luck!!!:D

moosmom
07-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone.

Leslie,

From the looks of the place, it's the size of a VERY small Kentucky Fried Chicken building (that's the only way I know how to describe it).

I offered to help clean the boxes and feed them while I was there and she said no. I was so totally disgusted and felt terrible for the animals there.

I'm okay. I'm so frustrated over not being able to find a full-time job it's doing a real number on my depression. Of course I don't have benefits to go see my doctor, so I just sit here in my apartment, cry and sleep alot. I have my good days and bad days.

I'm going to the shelter this afternoon. I wish it were open longer so I could stay, but their hours are very specific, Saturdays, 10-2, Monday through Friday, 10-11 and 1-2.

How's things at your end???

ramanth
07-13-2004, 09:57 AM
*HUGS* *HUGS* *HUGS*

I wish you all the luck for that job, Donna! :)

Sorry the ACO bummed you out. :(

gini
07-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Donna, good luck! I sure hope that you get the job and that you will be happier!

davidpizzica
07-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Donna, I sincerely hope you get that job!! If you get depressed or down in the dumps, I'm just a PM away. You can let it all spill out and you'll feel better. By the way you described this so called shelter, I wouldn't even set foot in the place! I also feel heartsick for all the animals that have to be there. That ACO has NO feelings or kindness towards any animals. Well, Donna, you're such a sweetie and here is a BUNCH of ((((HUGS)))) love you!

CatMama78
07-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Good Luck with the job!! Hope you get it.

As for the ACO, I have no words to express how disgusted it makes me.

leslie flenner
07-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Good luck! Is there a supervisor or manager over this woman you'd be interviewing with that you could call and ask the status of the opening (at the end of the week or some point)? I'd hate to see you work with someone with a miserable attitude; hopefully she was just having a bad day.....hopefully she's not there ALL the time!! (hopefully she's not on this thread!- just kidding!) Hang in there! QSL and I call you this weekend?
Are you still at BBandBeyond?

4 Dog Mother
07-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Good luck, Donna! Hope you get the job!

shais_mom
07-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Good Luck Donna!!

Logan
07-14-2004, 07:16 AM
I have my fingers crossed for you, Donna! Hope this works out!!!! :)

catnapper
07-14-2004, 07:30 AM
{{{HUGS}}}}
Donna, I hope that you get this job - it sounds tailor made! Would it be fulltime? I sure hope so!

Albea
07-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Donna, I hope you get the job. It would be so wonderful to be working in a field you love.:D
As for the ACO, if you read the article I posted last week about a Golden puppy who spent 8 months on death row due to the incompetence of the ACO, you'll see that is not only some towns in Michigan that have that problem. In Connecticut one can be hired as an ACO, a $35,000 a year job, just by being a good friend of the Police Chief.:mad: :mad: :mad: without any requirements to know anything about animals or have any compassion for them.
Good luck to you!

moosmom
07-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Albea,

I read the entire story of Max. My best friend from CT sent me the article from Northeast Magazine, from the newspaper I used to work for.

This job that I applied for has NOTHING to do with the Trenton Animal Control Officer. I just happened to be driving by the Trenton Animal Shelter after I dropped off my resume at the Gibraltar Vet Hospital.

I called yesterday to follow up and they said that it was crazy on Monday and they are just collecting resumes and will be setting up interviews next week.

Hey, at least it's not "Sorry we hired someone".

Davidp,

You are an absolute doll!! I don't like to burden friends with my problems so I just try to deal with them on my own. I promise I'll PM you next time it gets overwhelming!!

(((hugs)))

lynnestankard
07-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Donna I'm keeping fingers (and paws) crossed here - hoping you get the position. :) :)

Lynne