PDA

View Full Version : My hounds and mosquitoes

schteve_d
07-12-2004, 05:31 AM
I have two dogs that I walk for at least an hour every day. Just behind my house there are miles of quad trails where I can take them off-leash and they love it. I moved a couple of years ago to Northern Alberta and have never seen mosquitoes like here (and I lived in Saskatchewan which is pretty famous for it's mosquitoes!!). I have been putting a very small amount of Deep Woods Off on their backs in the hopes it would keep them away, and it keeps them off their backs alright but they are all over their faces and I am constantly batting them away. I would much prefer to keep walking there than give it up but I am obviously worried about their comfort and health. What are people using for 'squiter repellent on their dogs?

Thanks,

Steve

anna_66
07-12-2004, 08:58 AM
My sister in law just gave me some stuff from Avon (Expedition insect repellent) and it's safe for dogs. She said it works great.

schteve_d
07-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks Anna, I will look for it and give it a try. Other people have said Avon Skin-so-Soft. Sounds a little strange to me but what do I know!!?? Any experience? I know I can put any number of things on them but what I am worried about is them licking it off themselves and/or each other (sometimes they get a hankerin' to clean each other).

Thanks,

Steve

Albea
07-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Steve,
the problem with those pesky mosquitoes is not only how uncomfortable they make the dogs, but even more serious is the transmission of heartworm from a bite, which is a horrible disease. I don't know if you have that in Alberta, it might be worth asking your vet to make sure they don't need the monthly preventive medicine.
Hope you can find something to keep the mosquitoes away from your furry friends.

lv4dogs
07-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Not sure how safe they are but they make repelent in wipes now for kids. If they are safe for children it should be safe for dogs. Maybe at least carefully wipe areas where they can't lick, on their chin, very carefully a small wipe in the middle of their eys & the top of their head.

Just wipe off w/ normal baby wipes afterwards. If they do get to licking eachother just keep them occupied with soemthing else, like food or toys etc..

Smilla
07-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I use K9 Advantix on my dogs. It's a topical treatment for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. I think it's new. It's more expensive than other treatments, like Frontline, who only treat one or two things at once, but I was willing to pay extra specifically for the mosquito treatment--I live near lots of wetlands.

I've used it for about 2 months and it seems to work quite well.

Good luck!

http://www.k9advantix.com/

Smilla
07-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Er, I mean I use it on my dog (singular)! :)