PDA

View Full Version : My Horsey Baby

Heather_009
07-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Rexy has a real problem with standing still while he is getting saddle and brushed. When you walk around to the other side he'll move towards the side you were on. Even if his head is tied short he can still move his body. I have run out of ideas! Please help!

This isn't him, but he looks alot like this! Just more handsome! HA HA
http://members.aol.com/wes5ranches/charlie.htm

Karen
07-11-2004, 10:00 PM
How old is he? Just curious, as it sounds like youthful fidgets ... anything you can do to comfort him while you are saddling him? Is it possible that he was handled inappropriately before, so is afraid? Just talk in a soothing voice whenever you are near him, just to stroke his nose, or give him treats, and use that same tone of voice to talk to him while saddling him ...

Heather_009
07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Well he is an older horse. Like in his teen years. He wasn't handled inappropriatly before he just doesn't want to stand still.

Sweet Sixy
07-12-2004, 10:11 PM
My friend had this problem with her mare. She started off just trying to teach her to ground tie, so the horse was more comfortable just standing at his own will. It is possible that the area he is in is making him nervous or unconfortable for some reason. A lot of horses will be more inclined to move around with thier head tied becuase they want to see what is going on around them. Another suggest, but is something you need to be careful with, is doing something like a slip stall to work with him. This way he can't move. At the same time I have to say that some horses are just naturally ancy and don't care to stand still no matter what you're doing with them.