PDA

View Full Version : What kind food does your dog eat?

sammy101
07-11-2004, 06:32 PM
what kind food does your dog eat?i just want to see what variety's of food people give their dogs on here.

heinz57_79
07-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Nutro here! It's pretty much considered the best stuff out there in terms of kibble. Lamb (or beef) meal being the first ingredient and a lot less of the undigestible fillers.

Shelteez2
07-11-2004, 06:38 PM
My dogs eat Innova, and occasionally raw meaty bones and veggies.

You are going to get a lot of answers of "other" as the foods you listed aren't that great for most dogs.

wolf_Q
07-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Natural Balance adult formula for Nebo.

My parents feed Reggie and Sydney, it's usually Nutro or ProPlan.

micki76
07-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato. :)

Glacier
07-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Right now they are on Acana Premium Deluxe performance & Acana Premium maintainence. It's wheat free, corn free and has no animal by-products. The dogs love it and their stools have never been firmer. The food is specially designed for working dogs. In the winter I drop the Maintainence formula as they need the higher calories of the Premium Permformance forumla when they are pulling more.

They get raw meat and bones whenever I have them. We just got a few bags of elk meat and bones yesterday. My neighbor is a butcher who only does wild game. We get tonnes of meat scraps and bones from him during the hunting seasons.

binka_nugget
07-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul - adult formula. They get weekly eggs as well as some RMB's whenever I have them.

K9soul
07-11-2004, 07:19 PM
My two get Natural Blend Holistic Dog Food (Royal Canin). If you (or anyone) are curious about this food there is more info on ingrediants etc. here: http://www.naturalblend.com/benefits.htm

stacwase
07-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

heinz57_79
07-11-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm curious... What is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul? Besides an interesting book title. ;) I've never heard of it, and already a couple of you have mentioned it.

binka_nugget
07-11-2004, 07:42 PM
It's an awesome food. They make kibble as well as wet food. Kai (the pickiest eater EVER) still eats his food right away.

Here are the ingredients:

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Here's (http://chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com) the site if anyone's interested

stacwase
07-11-2004, 07:46 PM
It's so good. It even smells good. When you add water it really smells yummy. My dogs gobble it down, and look so healthy since they started it.

RobiLee
07-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Diamond Lamb and Rice Formula.

My Katie is not much of an eater. As big as she is you would think she would eat more. It took us forever to find a food that she seemed to like. We have tried several that are on your list and some of the ones the other pet talkers have mentioned and she would barely eat. We also give the girls a couple tablespoons of yogurt and they really seem to like this added with their kibble.

We tried the most expensive brands down to the cheapest thing I could find just trying to find something that she would eat. Our vet recommended Diamond, it is what he feeds his Akitas. I have seen his akitas and it seems to work for them ;)

Robin :)

RobiLee
07-11-2004, 07:56 PM
We tried the chicken soup dog food also. Katie turned her nose up at that one also. If I'm not mistaken Diamond is the company that makes the Chicken Soup food though. I'm telling you that Katie is one strange pup :p

countrycowgirl
07-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by RobiLee
Diamond Lamb and Rice Formula.

My Katie is not much of an eater. As big as she is you would think she would eat more. It took us forever to find a food that she seemed to like. We have tried several that are on your list and some of the ones the other pet talkers have mentioned and she would barely eat. We also give the girls a couple tablespoons of yogurt and they really seem to like this added with their kibble.

We tried the most expensive brands down to the cheapest thing I could find just trying to find something that she would eat. Our vet recommended Diamond, it is what he feeds his Akitas. I have seen his akitas and it seems to work for them ;)

I have to ditto this my pups are the same way and I have done the same thing and they will only eat this food ... matter of fact I went and bought some at the feed store yesterday:D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Abby doesn't eat much either, she only eats when she's really hungry... or else she's begging for scraps. :p

Otherwise, she eats Purina Dog Chow or Beneful... since no one has mentioned these, are they one of the bad brands?

countrycowgirl
07-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
Abby doesn't eat much either, she only eats when she's really hungry... or else she's begging for scraps. :p

Otherwise, she eats Purina Dog Chow or Beneful... since no one has mentioned these, are they one of the bad brands?

I don't think so ....personally I think it is what ever your dog will eat and thrive on .... its whatever works for them

BitsyNaceyDog
07-11-2004, 09:04 PM
I feed Natural Balance.

Dog Chow is very basic and is missing a lot of things, like essential fatty acids. Don't get me started on Beneful, it's full of salt, sugar, and food dye for starters. You may want to consider bumping up to Purina O.N.E. You can still get it at the grocery store, and it's a much better quality food.

cali
07-11-2004, 09:11 PM
BARF(bones and raw food) , some of my dogs would do just fine on kibble, but their overall health is far better on RAW :p and Happy cant eat commercial dog food period, makes her very very sick. shadow is on Kibble currently(at her new home) but just until they can order her premade RAW, we are very afraid of her staying on kibble too long though because she has arthitus, REALLY bad arthitus, at 4 years old she could barley stand she was in so much pain, the vet figered she was aging prematurly and said she probibly would not live past 5. switched her to RAW... she is now 8 and plays like a puppy. my mom is afraid that shadow staying on kibble to long will make her health deteriorate again. but on the other hand we cant be too picky because she is getting all the love and attention, and exersize she needs, and more importent then food, she is happy.

Kfamr
07-11-2004, 10:00 PM
We feed Purina One, which IMO, is fine for the price... and obviously my dogs are living and breathing and do fine on it.

Originally posted by countrycowgirl
I don't think so ....personally I think it is what ever your dog will eat and thrive on .... its whatever works for them

I agree with this. And whatever you can afford, is better than nothing.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul -- Adult Formula.

It's pretty good; the only drawback I've noticed is that they build-up tartar on their teeth faster. The ingriedients are very good, and it's an overall good food. :)

sammy101
07-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Kodie isnt much of a big eater either,he weighs around 85-90 pounds.we feed him Pedigree,is that a good food for him? he's been on it since he was 3 months and he seems to be healthy and a good weight,and everything else!:p i give him dry,and a can of wet.

Amber
07-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Katie- Beneful (Were switching her to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul) Just found our pet store sells it!)

Elvis- Puppy Diamond food (Also switching on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul) <-extremel picky eater here ;)

catnapper
07-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Nicki is allergic to basically anything under the sun! :p We did an extensive trial and error search and found Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice to be the only thing she hasn't had an allergic reaction to. The cats are both on it too (well, obviously the cat version!)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
Dog Chow is very basic and is missing a lot of things, like essential fatty acids. Don't get me started on Beneful, it's full of salt, sugar, and food dye for starters. You may want to consider bumping up to Purina O.N.E. You can still get it at the grocery store, and it's a much better quality food.

:eek: Okay, glad you told me! I will definately look for Purina One, but we have a little financial burden on our shoulders now... and sometimes if she runs out, I admit, dad runs to the gas station and gets a bag. She eats it, she's not dead. :( Don't think I'm a bad person because of this...

countrycowgirl
07-11-2004, 11:22 PM
:eek: Okay, glad you told me! I will definately look for Purina One, but we have a little financial burden on our shoulders now... and sometimes if she runs out, I admit, dad runs to the gas station and gets a bag. She eats it, she's not dead. :( Don't think I'm a bad person because of this...

why in the world would we ever think that!!.... we know that she is well feed and loved for

Uabassoon
07-11-2004, 11:33 PM

Don't feel bad because you can't afford the most expensive food out there. All that matters is that she is well fed and given tons of love. Not everyone can afford the most expensive food out there, but that doesn't make them a bad pet owner at all. Just as I'm sure there are some people who do buy the most expensive food, but they are horrible pet owners because their pets don't get any love or attention. As long as Abby is happy and heathly then you are doing a great job.

My Peanuts
07-12-2004, 10:30 AM
I switched Sylvia and Harley to Chicken Soup for the Petlover's Soul (adult formula) and we never looked back :D.

Samantha Puppy
07-12-2004, 10:44 AM
She used to eat Chicken Soup but started refusing to eat it about four months ago. I think it was because it only came in one "flavor" and she got tired of it. Now she regularly eats Pedigree. Sometimes I'll throw in a can or two of Merrick's (which she LOVES) but not too often as it is extremely expensive ($1.99/can).

Smilla
07-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Yep, Merrick's is quite expensive. I quit giving it to Lefty because although he loved it, I suspected it was a bit rich for his sensitive belly. Now he gets Chicken Soup Adult Formula (might need to switch to Senior; he turns/turned 7 this month!) and some Hill's Prescription Diet Canine I/D for extra flavor. He doesn't eat much as a rule, but seems to like it well enough.

jazzcat
07-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Disney eats Purina One right now but I'd like to try the Chicken Soup.

She's very picky and very sensitive. I got some kind of Science Diet from the vet and she wouldn't eat it. I tried some kind of Nutro and I think Authority from PetsMart and she wouldn't eat them. She liked Beneful but it upset her stomach so I stopped that quickly.

I would just leave it alone but she gets tired of the same food and quits eating it so I'm hoping this Chicken Soup will work when Purina One is snubbed.

jazzcat
07-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Can you buy Chicken Soup in a pet store? Their website won't load for me.

Smilla
07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
I get it at a small local chain. The website has a store locator:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/cslocator_distributors.html

Smilla
07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Er, sorry; just saw the last part of your message. It's not at PetSmart, as far as I know. I don't know about any of the other megastores.

cali
07-12-2004, 11:24 AM
boy I wish chicken soup was sold here lol I could reccomend that for shadow, but there is not one single distrubuter in sask. or manatoba. the closest is in alberta which is many hours away from me lol oh but of coarsein BC there are TONES of distributers sheesh :rolleyes:

Glacier
07-12-2004, 12:08 PM

No one should think less of you for that--she's getting fed. That's what matters. Even the cheapest food meets the most basic needs of a dog.

I own a dog who's first owner couldn't be bothered to run to the corner store and grab a bag of whatever for her. Couldn't even be bothered to throw her some table scraps. He eventually dumped Kayleigh at the shelter, which likely saved her life. She's a malamute mix. When she was dumped she weighed 75 pounds. Now she weighs 120 and is just about perfect weight-wise.

For three years, we've struggled with Kayleigh and her food issues. She never quite believes that there will be another meal, that she will get fed or have enough to eat. She hordes food, hides whatever she can around her area. God help any other dog who gets to close to something Kayleigh considers food. Kayleigh has to live on her own because she will, quite literally, kill any other animal who gets too close to her food.

I'd much rather have an owner feeding any brand of food than deal with a dog who's food aggressive.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-12-2004, 12:43 PM

Of corse I don't think you're a bad person. I think Purina O.N.E. is close to the same price as beneful, but I'm not positive. She's not going hungry and that is the most important thing.

DogLover9501
07-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato. :)

That's what Jasper eats too, but he ate the last of it last night, so Im not going to get Fish & Sweet Potato next time, still Wellness, though

cocker_luva
07-12-2004, 01:15 PM
i feed Jesse, Iams Weight Control Adult Formula. Its been that for over 8 years now.

caseysmom
07-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Casey gets California's Natural chicken and rice,...she likes the taste...I like the fact that their are only 4 ingredients and she seems to tolerate chicken better than lamb...also small poops. There are also no preservatives.

Blanquito de la habana
07-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Asterix gets cesar and Pedigree or wat we are eating...He's a bit overweigth.

binka_nugget
07-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Can you buy Chicken Soup in a pet store? Their website won't load for me.

Not in places like Petco and Petsmart but the smaller stores will probably have them. In this area, the best foods are found in the small independant stores.

Cincy'sMom
07-12-2004, 04:22 PM
California Natural Lamb and Rice

*LabLoverKEB*
07-12-2004, 07:03 PM
I feed Sadie Nutro Natural Choice adult formula:)

jenfer
07-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Royal Canin mini formula for puppy. But right now since Gigi is sick, she is on the medicated RC. :(

We tried Chicken soup, but somehow that make Gigi itches and her stool soft. And RC works great for Gigi.

Pam
07-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. We switched from Eukanuba and the price is just about the same and maybe even a little less than Eukanuba and it's a better food. The only problem is that you need to search out a store that carries it since it's not at PetsMart and Petco, etc.