PDA

View Full Version : not the mamma!

weeze
05-02-2001, 07:40 AM
Hi all, as a follow up to my previous post, "should I get another?" (which I did) I have an amusing story about how my two get along.. Most of the time they wrestle like they're in the WWF but once in a while, Minnie, the little rubs against Tiger and tries to suck on her teet (is that the right word?) Anyway, Tiger usually does not like that but the other day I heard the loudest purr ever and I found Tiger lying on my bed with Minnie sucking away and purring like crazy! Of course there was no milk coming out but I guess she was doing it out of habit. I was so proud of Tiger being so selfless to let Minnie do that because it actually looked like it hurt!!!

margaret
05-02-2001, 08:54 AM
That's interesting! I've never heard of adult cats doing that before! Has anyone else seen their cats do this? Well, I can only say that it's wonderful your two kitties get along. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Hooray!

------------------
~Margaret

nsweezie
05-02-2001, 09:58 AM
When I first got my cat Scooter, my room mate at the time had a year old female. Scooter saw her and he ran right over and tried to suckle. The other cat let him do it for about 20 seconds, then gave him a smack to the head.
He never tried again.

4 feline house
05-02-2001, 12:19 PM
Yes, I have seen it before. In fact, it is not all that uncommon for a neutered male cat to play wetnurse to kittens!

Your story reminds me of Toot (rainbow bridge). When we first adopted him, he used to try to suckle off Zebo, my grown, neutered, fat male. Zebo would never let him, though. One day, I noticed Toot was purring loudly, kneading his paws, and peering at something interesting. I followed his gaze, and noticed he was looking at my son's bare chest!

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited May 02, 2001).]

daisy
05-02-2001, 04:39 PM
Yes, I have seen the suckling behavior in adult cats--although this might be a special case:

When we adopted Cherry (now in the Rainbow Bridge) in 1995, we discovered soon after that she was expecting kittens. She soon delivered four, beautiful, healthy babies, and needless to say, we adopted them all! In time, the kittens grew up and eventually were weaned--except for one of them...This cat, whom we named Honey, would continue to nuzzle against her mama throughout her adult life, trying to locate her mama's teats so she could suckle. Cherry of course didn't mind the attention--even if it was coming from her baby that by then was already as big as her!

Ben E Gas
05-03-2001, 12:01 PM
that's too funny.