PDA

View Full Version : Making progress!

Lacey
07-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Seeing Zelda seems to have made a big impression on Mowgli! He so wants to get attention from her (even if she doesn't care for him yet). Anyway, even though he still hisses at me, he took some treats from my hand! I wanted to jump up and cheer! I think I might move his cage out of the bathroom and into my office since Zelda spends a lot of time in here (one of her favorite sleeping spots is in here).

Laura's Babies
07-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Intro's take time.. That is what I do..I keep them in another room, them bring them in with the rest of them in a kennel so they can sniff and see what it is all about, until I think it is safe to carry them in my arms around the rest and just work on from there until I can turn them loose and it takes awhile but they eventually become friends..

kimlovescats
07-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Sounds very encouraging Lacey .... slow and steady wins the race! Keep up the good work!;)

Lacey
07-11-2004, 04:48 PM
*salutes* Definitely going slowly.

Poor Mowgli wants so badly to be friends with Zelda. He keeps giving her these little, "I want some attention! Please be my friend!" meows. And if I had to guess, I'd say her response is something along the lines of, "Get lost, kid. You're bothering me." Though that's probably cleaning it up a little.

As for the treats, he was watching her eat some, so I held one out to him. The first few he just kind of sniffed at and I had to set them on the cage floor before he wolfed them down. And the last couple he actually took out of my hand (and I snuck in a scratch on top of his little head while he was munching on it).

With a bit of luck, Mowgli might be halfway managable when we go back to the vet for his boosters. Though I might have to carry Zelda along as his security blanket. I would hate it if they had to sedate him again.

catcrazylady
07-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Oh Lacey this is so encouraging! I told you he would come around! he is a youngster and he wants to play but just doesn't know how to do that with you yet. He will! Try the shoestring through the top of the cage. Let him play with that if he will. He will soon learn you are FUN! I'm sure he wants to get some of that energy used up. Scratching the top of his head while he was eating is a great idea. Get him used to your touch. Maybe you can try the treats with your hand in the cage soon. He is learning that you aren't going to hurt him.
Keep doing the great work and you will know when the time is right to try new things. Your there and can sense when it's ok to do it. Your doing great and I don't think it is going to take long at all to get him adjusted. Just don't push it and follow your instincts. If you let out too soon it can cause a major throwback and you have to start all over!
My personal opinion is to take him to the room where you hang out the most so he can get used to your activities and hear you all the time. Kind of ignore him for awhile until he adjusts to the new surroundings. Just keep talking, and talking, and talking some more!!
I can't believe you have never done this before! You are handling this like a PRO!!!

Lacey
07-11-2004, 08:45 PM
I just had to add some pics to show how little Mowgli is doing! I didn't get out to get some wire ties today, so he's still shelfless, but tomorrow I'll be putting up the shelves if I can get him out of the cage. ^.^

Here he's got the concept of the box kind of mixed up.

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/mowgli_003.jpg

Still on the box!

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/mowgli_004.jpg

"I want to put that mousie in my water again to make catnip tea!"

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/mowgli_006.jpg

"Do I have to go right now or can I wait?"

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/mowgli_008.jpg

"Ok, I took a couple of obligatory swats at the thing dangling in the cage. Now I can rest."

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/mowgli_009.jpg

catcrazylady
07-11-2004, 09:18 PM
OMG Lacey! Look how much more relaxed he looks. You can tell he is already getting used to you. He doesn't look afraid at all. Poor little guy is just confused about what is going on in his world. Wild and free one minute and caged and nuetered the next! He is starting to figure out that you aren't this big evil critter out to hurt him. He will soon learn just what a wonderful thing you have done for him!!
I can't wait and I don't think it will be that long. He already looks so much better.

leslie flenner
07-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Just turn that box down and cut part of the "roof" off! If it were a bigger box, it would be the same as having a shelf.
my feral is loose- cuz I got to trusting of her. So the stand off begins (again- she got loose this am when I emptied her cage due to severe water spillage...). Have to wait till she is in a place where I can scruff her and she has no escape. This am, it was the kitchen set up from Target. Now, who knows where she'll hide. In the meantime, she's having great kitten fun! Darn it!

jazzcat
07-11-2004, 10:07 PM
He does look so much more relaxed now, amazing. Things are going very well but remember go slowly.

Lacey
07-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Going quite slow with Mowgli. Don't worry there. ^.^ The biggest thing I've done is moved his cage so that he's in a room where both Zelda and I spend quite a bit of time. Other than that, I just talk to him and give him treats. And dangle the feather in his cage - which most of the time he ignores, but sometimes he takes a few swats at. Of course, he's still hissing at me, but nowhere near as much as he was right at first. Currently he's just sitting by his shoebox and watching me type this out.

I almost think that when Zelda's in here, I could reach in the cage and pet him all I wanted. That's how focused he is on her. But I value the use of my hands to much to try a stunt like that. The most I do is dip a finger between the bars for a quick scratch. The general rule seems to be that when he's purring, it's safe to slip a finger in there. And Mowgli always starts purring when he sees Zelda.

catmandu
07-12-2004, 09:09 AM
It does take time,for your New Orange Friend,to realize that you are destined,to be the Best Of Pals ,but one day,he will realize How much you Love Him!

jazzcat
07-12-2004, 10:50 AM
I wonder if Zelda looks like his mom?? How interesting that he starts purring when he sees her. She may be the key to this whole thing for you and Mowgli.

I'd love to see more pictures when you get a chance, please.

Lacey
07-12-2004, 11:16 AM
I don't know if she looks like his mom or not, but she might look like another cat he knows. There's a pretty calico around at the other end of the building, but she has owners. Her owners were leaving food out for Mowgli, but not trying to catch him. I talked with 'em a bit some while I was out with my trap trying to catch the little fluffball. They'd seen Mowgli's mom before, and I think I remember them saying that she's a tabby. I haven't ever seen her around, though.

In other news, I think it's funny that the t-shirt I put in the cage for Mowgli to sleep on keeps ending up in the litterbox. I finally rescued my poor Invader Zim shirt. I guess Mowgli's just not a Jhonen Vasquez fan. :rolleyes:

CatMama78
07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Mowgli - don't fret - I know it seems like confusing times right now, but rest assured you are in very good hands :)

leslie flenner
07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Perfect! Everytime my feral is purring at someone, I open the cage door and stroke her with my back stratcher. then, after a few of those, I reach in and replace with my hand- she notices the switch but as long as she's focused on her "loves" she keeps purring! It's a start! Without the cats around to distract her, she spits at me when I approach her still... (though I don't think I need the back scratcher anymore!) Do you have a ruler or something you can use? lots of times they will lean into something like that when you use it to rub their cheeks and start the purring.

kimlovescats
07-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Good job, Lacey. Mowgli does seem more relaxed and in time he will grow comfortable with you as well!;)