PDA

View Full Version : Major and his halti...

MariaM
07-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Ok well I've gotten Major used to the halti idea when he's chewing on a bone. Also when he is eating. The minute he's not doing something fun though, he tries to paw it off and won't stop. Any advice? I tried getting him used to just walking around in the yard and giving him treats and stuff but he won't even focus on me, he just wants it off.

Aspen and Misty
07-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Something my trainer taught us to do was "Pop" when he paws at it. Put the Halti on the dog and attach the leash on to it Coller that is around it's neck, when they paw at it Pull up quickly and shortly on the leash . like if you are holding the leash at chest level pull your fist that is holding the leash up to your chin really quick and release it. Also, at this time say a stern "No" or "leave it" It worked well for Nova, make sure not to hurt the dog, make sure it's legs never leave the gound and make sure not to have continued pressure on it's face.

Ash

Shelteez2
07-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I thought you were never supposed to give a dog a correction with a halti, due to the fact there have been no studies to determine the effect it has on the neck and spine of dogs??

Aspen and Misty
07-09-2004, 09:53 PM
:eek: Where is my head tonight??? sorry!! I ment to say that the leash is ON The coller!! Omg, no! I would never pull on my pups face!

Sorry, Yes, never pull hard on the halti, I would worry about hurting there lil nosies! (Thanx, I don't know where my mind is!)

Ash

MariaM
07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
So...I have the halti on him but the leash connected to the collar:confused:

Aspen and Misty
07-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
So...I have the halti on him but the leash connected to the collar:confused:

Yes, just put the Halti on him and don't attach anything to it.

Ash

MariaM
07-09-2004, 10:45 PM
And then do you think that will help him get used to it?