PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sad...

micki76
07-09-2004, 06:25 PM
:( Abby’s gone to another foster home.

She’s never been tolerant of the crate, in fact she literally freaks out in it. She chews anything you leave in it for her - blankets, toys, bowls, the plastic bottom of the crate, etc. She chews the bars of the crate and got her jaw stuck once. (Very scary :eek: ) So we went and got 2 baby gates and put her in the kitchen where she happily stayed until just recently. She apparently got spooked by something (the kitchen faces the front yard) and finally figured out that she was big enough to jump the gates. Well, she’s been getting out constantly and won’t stay in the kitchen more than a ½ hour or so. She won’t go outside in the rain by herself, so she started peeing on the floor. When she does go in the backyard, she digs huge holes in the backyard and has made one escape. (she gets twice daily walks and plays constatnly in the evenings with Millie, lots of fetch and chewies, too)

I talked with the VP of our rescue, and we decided that Abby needs a foster home where someone is home all day so that she can gradually & slowly get acclimated to the crate. I work 8-5, M-F. We’ve tried to crate train her, but her fear is too great for it to be accomplished over a weekend. She’s the type of dog that obviously must be confined for her own good. She chewed through my power cord for the laptop the first evening that she was let out of the crate, and the wireless mouse cable soon after. :eek:

So Abby’s now with Dawn, who was Miss Millie’s foster mom. :) Dawn lives less than 5 minutes so I think I’ll still see Abs a lot, plus she’ll be at the Adopt A Pet event this weekend. I miss her though. :( The house seems so empty without her here. :( :( :(

The one good bit of news is that we’re getting new flooring soon and a new couch, and then Hubby says we’ll be ready for a new foster! :) He was very angry about the peeing on the carpet. It’s only about 6 months old. :eek:

Karen
07-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh dear, that's too bad. But obviously, as you said, she needs to be fostered with someone who is home all day and can help her work out her issues better than you are able to. We know you tried, and we know you have her best interests at heart. Bye, Abby! Tell your new foster-mom to keep in touch, okay?

Hey Millie, Chester - go chew up something to distract Mommy! ;)

Cincy'sMom
07-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Im sorry Abby is gone, but you did alot for her, getting her through her heartworm treatments. Soon she will find her furever home, and there will be another pup in need at your doorstep :)

micki76
07-10-2004, 01:00 PM
I know, I just miss her so much. Our house feels empty. I think I let myself get a bit too attached. :(

I'm getting ready to go to the AAP though, so I'll see her soon! :)