PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: Could this be dangerous?

Kirsten
07-09-2004, 04:26 PM
My sister is in town this weekend and she brought me some real African stuff from her latest trip. She brought some deco stuff made of all kind of strange husks (you know, these things growing on African trees) and other things like wood, roots and a part of the shell of an ostrich egg, and the girls were VERY interested into them and sniffed them.

Now I'm worrying that these things could be carrier for some exotic cat diseases they could pick up from them. Do you think there is a risk? Or am I just paranoid? They've been to Namibia and Botswana, and the trip is more than a month ago. So what do you think?

Please help! :eek:

Kirsten

CatMama78
07-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Hmmm, hmmmmm very interesting question. I don't think there's anything to worry about. I think you're a very cautious mommy, which is a good thing! Could you maybe ask the vet? Or do the items (roots etc) have offical names that you could look them up on the internet?

Laura's Babies
07-09-2004, 04:37 PM
I would rather be safe than sorry. Do you have a china cabinet or something you could display them in? I would take ZERO chances with my babies.

Kirsten
07-09-2004, 04:42 PM
I know I'm always too cautious, and most people here (in real life) are not very understanding about that.

I think I will call my vet on Monday; I don't think this is case for the emergency vet. :rolleyes:

And no, I do not know the names of these items, but I'm not so worried about the things themselves, more that a sick animal has passed by and possibly sniffed them, and that they are contagious now... Unfortunately, I don't know much about feline diseases in Africa, all I know is that Cheetahs often have FeLV. But this virus cannot survive outside the host for a long time, and both my girls are vaccined. I have no idea about other animal diseases in Africa!

But probably I'm only paranoid!

Kirsten

Kirsten
07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Do you have a china cabinet or something you could display them in?

Well, one of them is hanging down from the ceiling. Lily can reach it if she tries but I'm sure she'll lose interest soon. But this is an item they have bought in a shop in Windhoek, Namibia. I'm more worried about a husk they have found on the ground, in the wild. I can put that one behind glas in a cabinet, but they have sniffed it already. :(

Kirsten

CatMama78
07-09-2004, 04:58 PM
All mothers worry - that's what we do cause we love our babies.

The covered display is a great idea until you find out more! Or perhaps just putting them away in a closet.

As for the items carrying a disease from another animal, now I'm not sure, but I think maybe in travel any disease will have died. Don't most diseases die outside the body after time? And maybe they were even already checked or sprayed at customs. I think customs is pretty strict about letting things through. Again I have no idea - just trying to think!

Just keep a close eye on the girls for the next couple of days since they got into the items (I know you already are :)). As long as they act healthy and as normal, no worries. Keep us posted!

DJFyrewolf36
07-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I'd just keep an eye on them for signs of illness and call the vet to see if anything can be transmitted. Glad to see you are "paranoid" *I think cautious is a better word ;)* about your babies! Its really a good thing!

sirrahbed
07-09-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't think you are being paranoid Kirsten. But I doubt that just sniffing would cause any harm. Airborne illnesses do not live very long on surfaces unless they are moist and warm. I would still make sure the girls cannot chew and ingest anything though. I would worry about that. But sniffing - I would not think twice about that- as long as the items are dried. A call to the vet on Monday would not hurt though. Good to keep them out of reach and try not to worry about the sniffing.

Kirsten
07-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Don't most diseases die outside the body after time?

Yes, I think they do, most of them. And my sister returned from Africa more than a month ago.

LOL, yes, I'm ALWAYS monitoring my girls carefully, and whenever there's something unusual, my vet is getting a call. She probably thinks 'oh dear, it's that crazy cat lady again' LOL

Kirsten

Kirsten
07-09-2004, 05:04 PM
I would worry about that. But sniffing - I would not think twice about that- as long as the items are dried.

Yes, they all are very dry. But you're right, I better give my vet a call on Monday.

Kirsten

sirrahbed
07-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
She probably thinks 'oh dear, it's that crazy cat lady again' LOL

Better than "why didn't that mother think to DO something??"

Kirsten
07-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Yes, most likely! :) And btw, she's making some good money from me... ;)

BTW, here are the items!

This is the one hanging down from the ceiling, made of all kind of natural stuff:

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/african1.jpg http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/african2.jpg

And here's the empty and dried husk or pod (or whatever these things are called) they've found on the ground and a quill from a porcupine (both behind glas now):

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/african3.jpg http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/african4.jpg

Kirsten

kuhio98
07-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Cool stuff! If you have room, I'd stick them in the freezer for a few days (unless you think it will damage them). Any nasty bugs or germs that might have hitched a ride should be dead after a few days in the freezer. But, that won't take care of them if they are poisonous. Good luck. I can't wait for your photos of Lilly and Luna swinging from the ropey-thing. :D

Uabassoon
07-09-2004, 05:57 PM
That quill is so cool looking!

catcrazylady
07-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Kirsten those are really interesting "things" for lack of a better word. How neat! I love the quil! I didn't realize they were that long. I wouldn't want to run into one of those!!

You are not being paranoid, you are being a good and cautious meowmie! I too would be concerned about diseases from another country. Our animals may not be immune to things that the animals in Africa are. I agree with Sirrabed that I don't think sniffing will hurt but I sure wouldn't let them chew on anything since I didn't know what the stuff was. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Fox-Gal
07-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I really belive your safe, they have been exposed to air to long to carry any diseases. I don't know of many diseases that can live that long outside.

You could always take a slightly damp cloth with just a little bleach and water and rub them down some, just to be safe.

I can see how your girls could be interested in them, hanging down like that. If I was a cat, I'd want to play with it. lol It really is some neat looking items.

catmandu
07-10-2004, 09:43 AM
I dont thinkthat there is ant\y danger,as I buy things from Bali,and Japan,and The Cats all love to smell the Sandalwood!

Kirsten
07-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Well, I put it to another place now, one they hopefully cannot reach so easily - just to be on the safe side! :)

Kirsten

lynnestankard
07-11-2004, 01:43 PM
I don't think there's anything to worry about Kirsten.
My friend and her hubby lived in Mozambique for a year (in fact her hubby was there for four years in total).
They bought lots and lots of souvenirs home and the whole house is filled with various artefacts. Their cats haven't been troubled at all with any disease.

In fact Steve (her hubby) brought his cat home with him - yes she had to go into quarrantine first - but boy has she settled in with her one sister and four brothers!! Her name is Nala - she's a real African kitty!! And gorgeous with it!

I just hope your gorgeous twosome aren't troubled with anything.

Lynne

Kirsten
07-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Lynne! Good to hear about the experiences others have made with these things! :)

Nala - what a sweet name for an African kitty! My sister and her bf met two kitties at a farm in Namibia, they say they were so cute and loving. Funny thing is, at the same time they've been there, I saw an article in one of my cat magazines about that farm and there was a picture of one of the cats, I thought that was pretty cool! :)

Kirsten