PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

jenfer
07-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Anyone been summoned? Anyone actually been selected to be a juror. I was summoned last week and being the lucky one I was selected and am one of the juror. This is my first time and it has been quite interesting. You can call me Juror Chan for now. lol!;) :D

Karen
07-09-2004, 01:01 PM
I have been summoned 5 times. Yes, 5. My panel was not called 4 of those times. The fifth time, I was very excited - my panel was chosen for a case! Wheee! I wanna be a juror! But I was the second person dismissed from the case, just after the guy in the leather jacket with studs. The case I was chosen for was one that was too similar to a case Paul had been a victim of years before. Sigh, of all the cases in the court system ... but for a few seconds there, I was a juror!

I'm jealous. Do well, Juror Chen! :)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-09-2004, 01:03 PM
My mom is on an actual jury right now. Hopefully she'll finish up her case today, and than can tell me all about it. :p

micki76
07-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Summoned once and selected once. Domestic violence between a father & son. :(

AmberLee
07-09-2004, 01:20 PM
I've been on the call list 4 or 5 times. Called in twice (once when I had walking pneumonia) -- empanelled once, but we were all released within an hour. Don't remember why now, it seemed odd at the time. :rolleyes:

Do well, Juror Chan! ;) :cool:

catlover4ever
07-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I've been summoned for US District Court next Tuesday. I look forward to doing my duty but I don't look forward to the long drive. In order for me to appear in the correct district court it is a 85 mile drive one way for me.....:confused: :confused: but otherwise I think it will be interesting.

Edwina's Secretary
07-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I've been called twice. Served on a jury once. I think everyone should do at least once. Fascinating experience. To many people get out of it and then wonder why we see such horrible jury decisions.

jazzcat
07-09-2004, 02:39 PM
I've been called twice and served once. The very first time I was called I ended up getting picked. It was in civil court, an individual suing a major company for abstestos poisoning. He thought he had lung cancer from it but his case was pretty much blown when I and two other jurors walked into a restaurant for lunch and saw him smoking. Not too smart! Yes, his smoking was brought up during the trial but he had said under oath that he no longer smoked.

The second time I was called was for a murder case that happened in Nashville but they came to Knoxville to find jurors. I was excused by the judge once I took in doctor's papers showing that I was caring for my parents and couldn't be sequestered in Nashville for weeks.

catnapper
07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
I was supposed to be a juror, but moved out of the county, therefor I couldn't be one! then I went and sat all day to wait and was never called. That was years ago and haven't been called since.

Fox-Gal
07-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Lucky me, I was summons 1 time and it was for Grand Jury. :eek:
I had to serve for 6 months!! Any Grand Jury case that came up in the 6 months time, I had to serve on.

Luckly only 2 cases came up. :D One case was easy, sense they didn't have enough evidence we thought to hold up to a trial. So that was only 2 days. The other one was long!!! It was a case against Childern and Family services. I was hoping they let me out of that one sense I use to be connected with them, but NO!!! There went 3 1/2 months of my life, sitting in a court room. Doing a Grand jury is a lot different, you can't even go to the bathroom without a gaurd watching you, so you don't talk to any body. Thats was odd and silly, sense at the end of the day you got to go home. I could have talk to anybody then!! :confused:

I was happy to do it, but it was hard on me and my pets, sense at that time I wasn't married and had no help at home.

Never been called sense then, I belive once you serve on a grand jury you can't get call back for so many years or else they just didn't like me. lol

It's something I think everyone should do at least once, jury duty, not Grand. :p

cubby31682
07-09-2004, 05:06 PM
My husband was selected for Grand Jury! He has to go 3 times a month for 18 months.

Fox-Gal
07-09-2004, 06:41 PM
18 Months!!! :eek: I guess it must be different state to state, glad mine does 6 months, that was long enough.

jenfer
07-09-2004, 07:26 PM
What is Grand Jury???

This is my 2nd time to be summoned. Last time, they didn't pick me, but not so lucky this time. ;) I don't really mind doing it, but the court house is kind of far for me.

Tonya
07-10-2004, 01:29 AM
I had to go Thursday. I told them that I was unreliable because I'm pregnant and sickly. It worked. :)

I had a DUI hit and run a few years ago, it only lasted one day. The time before that, I was dismissed.

jenluckenbach
07-10-2004, 05:10 AM
I have been summoned about 3 or 4 times. Only served on 1 trial. I was scared to DEATH :eek: I did NOT want to hold people's lives in my hands :(. But it was not as bad as I feared.

Fox-Gal
07-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by jenfer
What is Grand Jury???

Grand Jury is for cases againest the state, goverment, murders or anything larger then the average crime. Thats more or less a simple explanation for it. Like both my two cases where againest the state of Florida.

It's not to bad, the worse part of it for me was when they asked me if I had a problem with the death penalty. I keep my fingers crossed the whole 6 months that a case like that didn't come up. Sense there was a Dr. that had pulled the plug on a man in the hospital and I was so afraid his trial would come up. Thank goodness it came to trail after my term.

lynnestankard
07-11-2004, 01:13 PM
I've done Jury Service only once - I found it pretty difficult. The first case was extortion and the second case was rape.
Luckily I haven't been called again - fingers crossed I'm not!

Lynne

sirrahved
07-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I was selected to be a juror. I participated in a case that resulted in children being taken away from their parents :(

It was exciting to be involved with, and I hope that now the parties involved have a better life:)