PDA

View Full Version : I blamed the dogs

Logan
07-01-2001, 08:25 AM
I went away on vacation for a week, and left the whole crew at home, knowing that I had a trustworthy petsitter to care for them here. Sunday morning (last Sunday), I got a call from my petsitter, who said that she was upset, but wanted me to know that when she came in to feed everyone and let them outdoors, she found one of the hamster cages overturned, and the little dead hamster, Evelyn, in Lilly's mouth. Lilly is one of my Golden Retrievers. I could not believe that my dogs would overturn the hamster cage, after it had been in the same spot for over 6 months, but we just figured they got bored during the night, and decided to play. The little hamster probably died of fright, or was "mouthed" to death because Kim said she didn't have a scratch on her otherwise.

Phoebe, our remaining hamster was put into a safe place, behind a closed door. Last night, I opened that door and put a baby gate across the doorway, so Phoebe could get better airflow in that room. Guess who I found standing on top of the cage this morning, trying to pry the lid off? Butter!! :eek: I now believe that it was a "team" effort with Evelyn, with everyone participating except for Mimi, who has never shown any interest in the hamsters at all.

I am obviously looking for the safest place to house Phoebe and Evelyn's replacement, which I have promised to my daughter. Plus, I need the safest setup for them too. Right now, I'm using 10 gallon aquariums with screen lids that fit tightly. And strangly enough, I went to the aquariums because they were safer. We rescued Phoebe from my parent's lab's jaws last year, after she overturned the wire cage. Butter is definitely heavy enough and strong enough to have tipped it over. I realize that he has gained a substantial amount of weight and muscle since he came here 6 months ago. Anyone have a suggestion other than having to keep that door closed all the time? Probably the best idea is for us not to have hamsters, but we already have Phoebe, and Helen won't have me finding another home for her.

Logan

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

thelmalu99
07-02-2001, 11:30 AM
Oh, Logan I'm sorry about Evelyn! I was actually going to suggest the tank with wire mesh lid, but I guess you are already using that. I guess Butter's too smart for that.
I really don't have any other suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I feel bad.
:(

Logan
07-02-2001, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Thelmalu. That Butter has proven to be quite the handful, but he definitely wasn't in this alone! I just want to do the right thing for the remaining hamster, and for the next one who will join us this week.

Logan

shais_mom
07-03-2001, 11:02 PM
Oh Logan!! I followed your story on the dog site, I hope you find a safe place for your little ones!!

Logan
07-04-2001, 07:38 PM
I talked with the Petsitter yesterday. Butter is not to blame for this catastrophe...probably the only one that he didn't cause! He was outside all night that night. He is very relieved, but I will still keep him away from the hamster cages.

I got Evelyn's replacement today. She is so tiny, with coloring similar to Evelyn, but a little lighter. She is adorable, and Helen will have a nice surprise when she comes home on Saturday. I am not naming her. I'll leave that to Helen to decide.

Thanks to all of you for supporting me on this. I just felt horrible about the whole thing. But, better days are ahead, and we are now a family of 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 hamsters, and 3 hermit crabs again. And no, you will never see a picture of all of them together!

Logan
http://www3.famille.ne.jp/~hime/Picture/GIF2/A012.gif

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Logan
07-04-2001, 11:06 PM
So much for the surprise....
I couldn't resist telling Helen that Phoebe had come out of her "slump"...strange, but she was in one!! Our new addition, now named "Olivia", "Livvy" for short, has truly given Phoebe new life!! I didn't know that Phoebe even knew Evelyn was there, but she did. Because for the last few nights, since I returned from vacation, Phoebe has been lifeless. Just walking around, never running on her wheel, just stuffing her pouches, and basically pouting! :(

She's a new girl tonight, with her new buddy right next to her. They have stared at each other through their cages, and looked at themselves in the mirror, in their new location, in the guest room!!!

There is hope. I miss Evelyn, but I think our new Lizzy will do just fine as a replacement!!!

Logan

PS. I know this isn't at all cat related, so I appreciate your indulging me!!!! :D

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Pam
07-05-2001, 06:29 AM
Oh Logan how sad that Phoebe hasn't been running on her wheel!! I had no idea that hamsters would react so sadly to a missing friend. I'm so glad that your happy little fur family is once again even. After all Honey has Lilly, Mimi has Butter and now Phoebe has Lizzy! I am sure Helen will love Lizzy to death. Is poor little Evelyn buried in the back yard? :( Not to be insensitive, but maybe with dogs it isn't a good idea. (I don't think Bella would let her rest in peace if you get my drift....

Logan
07-05-2001, 07:00 AM
I screwed up last night, Pam. I was tired when I was typing that last message....Lizzy? Where did I get that??? It is Livvy...short for Olivia!!! Duh!!! :o
I fixed it by editing....just didn't want you to think you were crazy. Its all me!!! LOL!!

Anyway, thanks, and to answer your question, all deceased hamsters (Rusty and Evelyn :( ) have been buried in the front yard!! Can't take any chances with those busy retriever diggers of mine.

By the way...Livvy ran ALL night. I think even poor Phoebe finally gave up, but not that baby. Squeak, Squeak, Squeak...I've got to oil that wheel!!! :p

Logan