PDA

View Full Version : A New Habit...

MariaM
07-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Major has developed a new habit...barking...at night. He doesn't bark for us to come, he barks either because

It's become a habit

Or there is somebody outside.

At first I think it was because there was someone outside, a few houses down which there usually is nobody. However, I think it has become a habit for him to come out of the house and bark for an hour. Any suggestions? I don't want to use the shock collar.

Tonya
07-08-2004, 11:31 PM
I used shock collars on my larger dogs for just a few days and it broke them. Night time barking is hard to break, it seems like the choices are bring them inside or camping in the back yard to reprimand them everytime. lol.

I'm all ears though, my little Sarah has a nasty barking habit and I don't have the heart to use a shock collar on such a small dog.

swimma253
07-09-2004, 10:12 AM
my dog jed use to bark at nigiht nonstop so we would take a water bottle and squirt water next to him(not really getting im wet) and he eventually stopped after about a week...

Kfamr
07-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I personally would NEVER use a shock collar.

I'm really not sure on what kind of advice to give you... I've never had the problem before because my two have always been inside for me to train them. Hopefully someone will know though.

lv4dogs
07-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Swimma253, oh what a cutie you have their, it looks just like my Nanook, especially when Nanook was younger! Except my boy has 2 brown eyes. Even his nose has that pink stripe LOL

dukedogsmom
07-09-2004, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't use a shock collar, either. I think the water spray might be a good idea. I've never had a dog outside, either so don't know what to tell you. You might do some research on the internet and see what's advised there.

MariaM
07-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone...I'll just have to keep researching. I was wondering though, do you think if I took him for a walk at night around the people (or at least so he could hear them) he would get used to them being outside at night?