PDA

View Full Version : READING!! Part 1

RICHARD
07-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I heard about a study that reported that reading had declined across the board for all ages and groups.

Even though you must read these days- assembly instructions, directions, Pet Talk :D, the scrawl at the bottom of the news channels I was bothered hearing about this.

Sooooo,

I was thinking about what everyone reads, how long and when. Also when you started and what turned you on to reading and maybe how many books you have!

We'll break this up into different categories and at the end of the poll we'll check to see what we can find out about the PT reading habits.

We'll start with WHAT you read.

Cookiebaker
07-08-2004, 07:06 PM
I read pet talk!!!!!! :D

Shelteez2
07-08-2004, 07:11 PM
I read almost everything. I read magazines and papers, I read fictional novels. I read romance novels. I read dog training books and books on animal behavior. I read teen novels. Like I said....almost everything.

Reading has always been an escape for me. I can always get lost in a good book with good characters. I also can't leave a book unfinished, even if I don't like it much.

My younger siblings don't read at all, hardly. I wish they read more.

Amber
07-08-2004, 07:19 PM
The only thing I read out of the newspaper are the funnnies. But the kind of stuff I read are like the romance books, and true crime kind of stuff.

Edwina's Secretary
07-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I read a daily newspaper and two news weekly magazines...as well as other magazines. I cannot sleep at night unless I read. For the most part I read biographies and history (not a category you offered!) There are some mystery writers I like. Before I was married I averaged two to three books a week. It is less now. I learned from my husband that it is not acceptable to read at the dinner table.

I thought I owned alot of books until I met some people here on Pettalk who REALLY outdo me in that regard!

sirrahbed
07-08-2004, 07:49 PM
I am a book-a-holic, always have a stack of books on my nightstand and usually read 2-3 books a week. This week I read 2 by James Patterson which were "When the Wind Blows" and "Lake House". I am half way through "Night-time is My Time" by Mary Higgins Clark because it is her latest and I read ALL of her books. I am pretty loyal to assorted authors and read everything they write like Dennis Lehane, Particia Cornwell, Kathleen Reichs, Karin Slaughter, Mary Higgins Clark, Ann Rule and Robin Cook. I also read biographies and certain commentators like Ann Coulter. I read everything by Garrison Keillor, too. Sometimes I go back to classics and re-read old favorites like Scarlet Letter, anything Ernest Hemingway or John Steinbeck. hmmm....On hold at the library I have The DaVinci Code. I will often see a movie based on a book and have to go read it like "Girl With A Pearl Earring" although in that case I had already read the book but went back to read it again. Also the case with YaYa Sisterhood which really followed the book "Little Altars Everywhere". Oh and I read every page of Readers Digest and Money Magazine:D
You asked!!:D Never ask a Book-a-holic unless you want a novela.

Denyce
07-08-2004, 09:08 PM
I read almost anything but the gothic romance type books. I really can't stand the Harliquen Romance type of novels. But other than that I read tons. I mostly read Fantasy/Sci Fi, murder mysteries, historical novels, animal stories etc. I don't care for newsprint so I don't get the paper but follow the news online. As for how many books.....:o :o :o Ummmm.......tons. Two huge 7 foot bookshelves that are crammed with books in two layers on each shelf and about half a dozen LARGE Rubbermaid containers in the pole barn outside. I usually read at the very least 2-3 a week. And that is only reading in the morning before work, at lunch, in the evening before bed. But I don't go anywhere without a book. You never know when you might need to read....like when my hubby is pumping gas or times like that...:D :D

Denyce

Denyce
07-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh Debbie!

You might want to try mysteries by Jan Burke. She is fantastic. She even wrote one book called Bones about cadaver dogs. Although it is better to start with her first one called....Goodnight, Irene. There is an ongoing story about her and her relationship with a cop throughout most of her books.

Denyce

sirrahbed
07-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Denyce
Oh Debbie!

You might want to try mysteries by Jan Burke.
.......logging onto library website ...always in search of new authors!! Thanks Denyce;)

wolfie
07-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I love to read! I am always in the process of reading a book or two... or three. now it's Arabian Nights, Harry Potter (*cough* again!), and my new book on hemp jewelry making.

I mostly read fantasy/scifi books, but I also read other fiction too. And nonfiction - like books on dogs, ect. And magazines sometimes. And of course I read a lot of webpages! ^_^

Pam
07-08-2004, 09:27 PM
I read the newspaper (local) and all kinds of novels. I enjoy mysteries and books that are just plain fun - mainly fiction - although I did read George Stefanopoulis' book after the Clinton years. Some of my favorite authors are Patricial Cornwell, John Grisham, Barbara Delinsky, Jan Karon (Mitford Series), Lilian Jackson Braun (The Cat Who series), Patricia Gaffney, Belva Plain, Anne Rivers Siddons and Sharyn McCrumb. I got hooked on Sharyn McCrumb's books (setting in Appalachia) one day when I bought The Rosewood Casket on the Bargain Books table at Barnes & Noble. :)

NoahsMommy
07-08-2004, 09:31 PM
I've always been a reader. :)

I read many different types of books. Fiction, biographies, magazines, travel books, psychology, inspirational, poetry, even the newspaper at times (I find it WAY too depressing).

Right now I'm reading Bridget Jones' Diary and Don't Sleep with Your Drummer. I tend to read two or more books at once.

:)

zippy-kat
07-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Ok, I'm a little offended (well, not really ;) ) that sci fi and fiction were lumped together. I DETEST sci fi/fantasy (ranks right up there with romance novels :rolleyes: ) but love fiction.

I read almost anything I can get my paws on, even tech manuals (hey, I'm a tech writing/tech comm. major... I have to lol).

I checked off:
newspapers
magazines
biographies (though none lately)
fiction (not sci fi)
mysteries
horror (though none lately)
tech manuals

Hey! Where's the "other non-fiction" option? ;) I would've checked that one too!

heinz57_79
07-08-2004, 09:57 PM
I tend to stay away from Newspapers.. Not because I dont care, but because it's all too damn depressing. I like good Fantasy,not really sci-fi. I just got done reading Wicked, the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West. GREAT book! I'd like to find the other books by the same author. Biographies are great, but I tend to read to escape reality instead of getting immersed into it. Anything about ancient Egypt, Greece or Rome (fiction or non-fiction) I adore!

I've been reading since I was 3... an only child, with parents who were never around I had little else to do. I used to go thru 2 or 3 books a week, now i'm lucky if I go thru that in a month.

Hey, here's an idea... we should arrange a PT Book Swap or something. Like I'll send someone a book I've read and enjoyed and someone will send one to me, etc. For those of us who enjoy reading it could be fun! :)

Holly's mom
07-08-2004, 10:10 PM
I love to read, mysteries and suspense books are my favorite. Some of my favorite authors are James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, Jonathon Kellerman, Tami Hoag, Iris Johansen, Harlen Coben, John Sandford, Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton.

slick
07-08-2004, 10:23 PM
There really is no category for what I read which is animal stories such as Watership Down and cat novels.

Other than that the only other books I read are tech manuals only because I have to on the job.

My eyes are really bad, but I've got new glasses coming so hopefully I'll come back in a week and check off some more.

Denyce
07-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Heinz57_79,

Have you tried the books by Jack Whyte I think his name is. They are suppose to be about King Arthur but they are set in Ancient Rome and are very interesting. A whole new spin to that story.

Holly's Mom,

I just finished Tami Hoag latest paperback Dark Horse. I think that and "A Thin Dark Line" were my two favs of hers.

Denyce

cali
07-09-2004, 10:48 AM
I read some romance, but my fav is definatly mystery. Murder mysterys to be exact, I am reading one right now actually lol my fave USED to be nancy drew, but now my fav is melonie travis mysterys(she is a dog person lol) and right now I am reading these wedding ones by Deborah Donnelly. :p

G.P.girl
07-09-2004, 11:31 AM
i love reading and i read alot, though not as much as i would liek to during the school year. i read magazines, newspapers, horror and crime books. i read alot of fiction, but i'm very picky about whichi ones i like to read

DJFyrewolf36
07-09-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm a fantasy nut. Right now *for like the 5th time lol* I'm reading "The Free Bards" by Mercades Lackey. She is one of my favorite fantasy authors. I also like Marion Zimer Bradley *New mists of Avalon stuff finaly came out this month, yay!* I also read a lot of sci-fi too, I've read more Star Trek related stuff than I care to remember. I read Starship Troopers, YES it is a book and the book kicks the movies tail but the movie admittely was pretty darn good. Enders Game is one of my faves too *the series went WAY downhill from there IMO* If anyone is a Sci-Fi nut here, you should read the Seafort Saga by David Feintouch *I think thats how its spelled* The first book is Midshipmans Hope. Good good good series with awesome character development.

Gee now that you all know that Im a total nerd...

I read lots of older american literature. F. Scott Fitzgerald is my favorite. I've read most of his books two or more times. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorites too. My ABSOLUTE favorite book of all time*and one all you PTers should read I think lol* Is Call of the Wild. I have read that book probibly 100 or more times, literally :D.

I read a lot of magazines, mostly pet related or computer related. I also get a lot of trade catalogs with all sorts of nifty new computer stuff that I'll never be able to aford but I drool anyway. Then again there is the wide array of web sites I read *Thank you QSA for getting me addicted to Ettiqute Hell, I've almost read through the whole site :p*

I CANT stand the romance stuff. Most likely cause I feel like I can write better lol *I can't post it on here, its too X rated...but if anyone wants to see part of my little romance novel in progress, PM and let me know lol*

Sigh, I AM a book nerd. I've been reading since 3. Hey Richard, you forgot a Poetry checkbox!!!! I read a ton of that too!

Debbie is right, never ask a book person to discribe their reading
habbits...

*NOTE* Don't hate me cause I love sci fi :D

lynnestankard
07-09-2004, 11:55 AM
**Whine whine whine*** Richard!!

I'm with Zippy on this one - fiction and Sci-Fi TOGETHER!!!????

Like her - I hate Sci-Fi!!:D

I adore reading and have since I was 4 years old. My Mum used to say - I'd read anything - a book - a magazine - a packet of tea!!

I have so many favourite authors - most of them have been named already!! I think Jean Auel has been missed - so add her name to the 'list'! Oh and Dan Brown too!

I get through approx. 2-3 books a week - depending on how thick they are!:D :D

Does anyone do my trick when I'm reading a really good book - and try and read slower!!! It's daft I know and I can't do it for more than two pages - then I'm back at the gallop rate!

Great thread Richard

Lynne

PS DJ I can't hate you for liking Sc-Fi - Don adores Sci-Fi too!!

DJFyrewolf36
07-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I've tried that Lynne...it doesn't work very well though!!! I try and try to slow down...but it lasts for like a page or two...

Do you find your brain moving way to fast at times lol?

lynnestankard
07-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
........Do you find your brain moving way to fast at times lol?

OH YES ! That hurts! DOH! LOL!

Lynne

davidpizzica
07-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I am a book-a-holic, always have a stack of books on my nightstand and usually read 2-3 books a week. This week I read 2 by James Patterson which were "When the Wind Blows" and "Lake House". I am half way through "Night-time is My Time" by Mary Higgins Clark because it is her latest and I read ALL of her books. I am pretty loyal to assorted authors and read everything they write like Dennis Lehane, Particia Cornwell, Kathleen Reichs, Karin Slaughter, Mary Higgins Clark, Ann Rule and Robin Cook. I also read biographies and certain commentators like Ann Coulter. I read everything by Garrison Keillor, too. Sometimes I go back to classics and re-read old favorites like Scarlet Letter, anything Ernest Hemingway or John Steinbeck. hmmm....On hold at the library I have The DaVinci Code. I will often see a movie based on a book and have to go read it like "Girl With A Pearl Earring" although in that case I had already read the book but went back to read it again. Also the case with YaYa Sisterhood which really followed the book "Little Altars Everywhere". Oh and I read every page of Readers Digest and Money Magazine:D
You asked!!:D Never ask a Book-a-holic unless you want a novela. Sirrahbed, are you a fan of Garrison Keilor too? I enjoy listening to his monologues and I've read all his books! I have a cassette tape of his I'm listening to in the car!

DJFyrewolf36
07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
OH YES ! That hurts! DOH! LOL!

Lynne

I'm a diagnosed ADHD case...stupid brain running at full throttle when the body can only go at 1/4 speed...

I guess thats why I occupy my time with reading!! Although it gets pretty darn difficult reading two or three books at a time...

Does anyone else do that?

davidpizzica
07-09-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm a fantasy nut. Right now *for like the 5th time lol* I'm reading "The Free Bards" by Mercades Lackey. She is one of my favorite fantasy authors. I also like Marion Zimer Bradley *New mists of Avalon stuff finaly came out this month, yay!* I also read a lot of sci-fi too, I've read more Star Trek related stuff than I care to remember. I read Starship Troopers, YES it is a book and the book kicks the movies tail but the movie admittely was pretty darn good. Enders Game is one of my faves too *the series went WAY downhill from there IMO* If anyone is a Sci-Fi nut here, you should read the Seafort Saga by David Feintouch *I think thats how its spelled* The first book is Midshipmans Hope. Good good good series with awesome character development.

Gee now that you all know that Im a total nerd...

I read lots of older american literature. F. Scott Fitzgerald is my favorite. I've read most of his books two or more times. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorites too. My ABSOLUTE favorite book of all time*and one all you PTers should read I think lol* Is Call of the Wild. I have read that book probibly 100 or more times, literally :D.

I read a lot of magazines, mostly pet related or computer related. I also get a lot of trade catalogs with all sorts of nifty new computer stuff that I'll never be able to aford but I drool anyway. Then again there is the wide array of web sites I read *Thank you QSA for getting me addicted to Ettiqute Hell, I've almost read through the whole site :p*

I CANT stand the romance stuff. Most likely cause I feel like I can write better lol *I can't post it on here, its too X rated...but if anyone wants to see part of my little romance novel in progress, PM and let me know lol*

Sigh, I AM a book nerd. I've been reading since 3. Hey Richard, you forgot a Poetry checkbox!!!! I read a ton of that too!

Debbie is right, never ask a book person to discribe their reading
habbits...

*NOTE* Don't hate me cause I love sci fi :D DJF, I love science fiction, too! I have virtually every book that Robert A. Henlein ever wrote! Starship Troopers amongst his best. I'm a science fiction nut from WAY BACK!

sirrahbed
07-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by david p
Sirrahbed, are you a fan of Garrison Keilor too? I enjoy listening to his monologues and I've read all his books! I have a cassette tape of his I'm listening to in the car!

I think he is a HOOT! I became a fan when he had his radio show that went to TV - Prairie Home Companion was it?? Lake Wobegon?? The books read just like listening to him, too. I love the Lutheran jokes especially:D Oh and do you remember the old couple that stopped at a restaurant and he accidentally left her at the place???? You know the one I mean???? Cracks me up just thinking about it:D

DJFyrewolf36
07-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Yay, at least I'm not alone, David! :D

I am in a Star Trek reading club. I met my husband AT one of the meetings :rolleyes: and every guy I've dated except one was from the same dern club.

Help me I'm a hopeless nerd...

And love every dang minute of it!

davidpizzica
07-09-2004, 12:27 PM
I think he is a HOOT! I became a fan when he had his radio show that went to TV - Prairie Home Companion was it?? Lake Wobegon?? The books read just like listening to him, too. I love the Lutheran jokes especially:D Oh and do you remember the old couple that stopped at a restaurant and he accidentally left her at the place???? You know the one I mean???? Cracks me up just thinking about it:D Sirrahbed, I'm listening to "A Prairie Home companion 25th Anniversary Collection" and I believe that story is on the first tape. It is lol hilarious! I also love the lutheran jokes, too. I'm Missouri Synod Lutheran and he breally cracks me up!!

sirrahbed
07-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm Missouri Synod Lutheran and he breally cracks me up!!
LC--MS here too. Devon - Sirrahved's hubby is my middle son - going to CTSFW. Yup, LOVE those Lutheran jokes:) "I am smiling as loudly as I can!!"

davidpizzica
07-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Yay, at least I'm not alone, David! :D

I am in a Star Trek reading club. I met my husband AT one of the meetings :rolleyes: and every guy I've dated except one was from the same dern club.

Help me I'm a hopeless nerd...

And love every dang minute of it! DJF, we are charter members of the Sci Fi nerd club!!

DJFyrewolf36
07-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Sirrahbed, I'm listening to "A Prairie Home companion 25th Anniversary Collection" and I believe that story is on the first tape. It is lol hilarious! I also love the lutheran jokes, too. I'm Missouri Synod Lutheran and he breally cracks me up!!

Im a Missouri Synod Lutheran too!

Maybe I should take a listen to this guy! I've never heard of him before now. Thats why I love PT, always finding new and great stuff to read/listen to.

davidpizzica
07-09-2004, 12:42 PM

Maybe I should take a listen to this guy! I've never heard of him before now. Thats why I love PT, always finding new and great stuff to read/listen to. Gee, DJF, anything else we have in common?? lol lol

DJFyrewolf36
07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Gee, DJF, anything else we have in common?? lol lol

Ummm, I like cats? You like cats? lol

Im a PT addict, are you lol?

My being a Lutheran is a really interesting story BTW, but I don't want to threadjack so if you're interested in hearing about it, just ask!

Maybe I'll start a thread if enough people want to know :rolleyes:

davidpizzica
07-09-2004, 12:53 PM

Maybe I should take a listen to this guy! I've never heard of him before now. Thats why I love PT, always finding new and great stuff to read/listen to. DJF, next time you are shopping for more books, look for "Tales from Lake Wobegon" by Garrison Keilor. Once you start reading it, you won't put it down!!

RICHARD
07-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
**Whine whine whine*** Richard!!

I'm with Zippy on this one - fiction and Sci-Fi TOGETHER!!!????

Like her - I hate Sci-Fi!!:D

When you only have 10 choices for a poll, you have to be creative.:rolleyes:

I read pretty much anything...Tea bags to tea leaves!!!:confused:

I just don't read minds!

If it's printed, it's read!

That's why I don't subscribe to Playboy...too many pictures, not enough print....:o

jazzcat
07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
I read mysteries - got that from my mom. I particularly love medical thrillers.

I really have a hard time reading the newspaper - isn't that ironic since my degree is Journalism/Public Relations? My newspaper editing classes almost killed me!

catnapper
07-09-2004, 02:53 PM
I read all the time! My kids have poor writing skills and I'm always telling them that they need to read in order to imptrove their vocabulary, etc. They ignore me :(

Just last week, I read three books... and am depressed that I don't have a new one to start yet. Two of those books were completely different than my normal book - I normally do mysteries, but somehow wound up reading romance :rolleyes: Blame my mom since they were her recommendations! :D

sirrahbed
07-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
I read mysteries - got that from my mom. I particularly love medical thrillers.

oohh! Me too! Who are your favorite authors Lori ??- have we already been over this?? I have already read all of Patricia Cornwell, Kathleen Reichs, Jeffery Deaver, Robin Cook...are there other medical thrillers that I would like??? I like LOTS of medical detail, accurate and plenty of suspense plus a good story line. Do not like too much sexual stuff or bad language though - a little OK:rolleyes:

jazzcat
07-09-2004, 11:18 PM
oohh! Me too! Who are your favorite authors Lori ??- have we already been over this?? I have already read all of Patricia Cornwell, Kathleen Reichs, Jeffery Deaver, Robin Cook...are there other medical thrillers that I would like??? I like LOTS of medical detail, accurate and plenty of suspense plus a good story line. Do not like too much sexual stuff or bad language though - a little OK:rolleyes:
Debbie - yes I loved Patricia Cornwell but haven't read anything of hers since one book - I can't remember the name, Black Notice maybe - had such bad language. I got it for mom on tape and she had to quit before she finished, ashame. You know Dr. Bass who has the Body Farm here in Knoxville that her book was about? My brother knows him, he took one of his classes at UT years ago, and he had him sign a new book that he and P. Cornwell colaborated on or she wrote the forward or something like that, anyway. It was to be a birthday present for mom this year but.... he gave it to me instead.

Anyway, I like Jeffery Deaver and Robin Cook too. I haven't read any Kathleen Reichs yet but my mom had just suggested her to me this winter. Some others I like are Michael, Palmer, Tess Gerritsen, James Patterson, Michael Crichton, Tami Hoag. I just looked in my nightstand to see who all I had and I have a bunch of never heard of before authors too. I usually just hit the medical thriller section at the used book store and grab a bunch.