PDA

View Full Version : After 3 days...

Lacey
07-08-2004, 05:36 PM
I finally caught the little orangie! He's a little wild child! Mowgli is definitely a fitting name for him!

And without further ado, here he is!

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/IM000233.jpg

I just took one picture because the little guy is definitely not a happy camper at the moment. Hopefully that'll change soon. Any tips on socializing him?

jazzcat
07-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah! I'm glad you caught him but he does look pretty wild.

Is his back end wet?? Did he have a slip in the toliet already? LOL.

Lacey
07-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Actually, that's anchovy oil from the bait I was using... He kinda knocked the plate over while he was in the carrier.

jazzcat
07-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Lacey
Actually, that's anchovy oil from the bait I was using... He kinda knocked the plate over while he was in the carrier.
LOL!! I guess he'll have a good time cleaning himself. Call it a little gift for getting trapped.

Laura's Babies
07-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Awe! Poor baby, it looks so scared.. Will drive itself crazy smelling itself until it is cleaned of that oder....Lick! Lick! Lick! Yum! Yum!

catnapper
07-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Awww.. he's a cutie! Poor thing is probably scared out of his mind! Good luck, and keep us updated on any progress he makes!

Lacey
07-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Yep, he is fairly scared right now - all huddled up in the corner of the bathroom counter. I've been in there a few times to try and sweet talk him, but he hisses at me when I move. That's a slight improvement though. When he was trying to hide in the tub, he went bonkers while I was in there and hopped up on the counter and kept jumping at the mirror like he could get away through that. I'm definitely going to have to get a pair of work gloves before I make him a vet appointment, otherwise I'll never get him back in the pet carrier.

RedHedd
07-08-2004, 06:19 PM
AWWW! Mowgli is the PERFECT name for him! Give him time to settle down. It might take a while because he looks pretty scared right now, although having "anchovy butt" might keep him occupied for a while :D He's SO cute!

Lacey
07-08-2004, 06:47 PM
I slipped into the bathroom for one more pic of the little guy.

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/mowgli.jpg

He's calmed down a little bit at least.

QueenScoopalot
07-08-2004, 07:03 PM
He is adorable! Do you have access to a cage at all? I keep my new ferals in cages with sheets covering everything but the front door. This gives them a sense of security, and makes it sooo much easier to handle them! I always put the litterpan and food right by the door until I can gauge the temperment. I have several large cotton laundry bags with cinch cords in which I can contain the kitties, and get them in a carrier or trap to take them to the vets. He looks easily 6 months! Not an easy age to socialize, but I have done it. Are there more in the litter or just him?

Lacey
07-08-2004, 07:11 PM
No cage at the moment. But I could get one at Walmart tomorrow! Currently I just have everything breakable taken out of the bathroom and just kitty stuff in there (with litterbox and foodbowls right by the door for easy grabbing and filling or emptying).

I think he's the only one in the litter - at least, he's the only one I've seen hanging around.

rg_girlca
07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Awww poor scared little baby. Thank you for taking in and caring for him.

kimlovescats
07-08-2004, 11:22 PM
How precious, yet so scared ... poor little fella! Looks like you trapped him just in time. He will come around eventually, thank you for giving him a chance!;)

Lacey
07-09-2004, 05:23 AM
I hope so, Kim! Mowgli's still huddled on the bathroom counter. I'm not sure he moved at all last night, so I just put his food bowl up there with him (which he ended up knocking down - bowl is back on the floor). He hissed at me, but didn't try to run and hide. I would've thought he'd hang out behind the toilet since it's really the only hiding place in the bathroom. But nope! He's right on the counter.

catcrazylady
07-09-2004, 07:42 AM
What a wonderful thing your doing Lacey! he is a cutie pie and I bet he will turn into a real love bug! My ferals are the sweetest cats in the world to me. They don't like strangers but with time and patience you can have a wonderful and loving cat.

I have a few suggestions that I used for trying to calm mine down. I would go and sit with mine off and on for long periods of time and I would just talk and talk to them. Don't make eye contact as they take that as threatening in the beginning. Every move you make do slow and easy. If you have time then don't try to pet him or anything just yet. Let him calm down for a few days before you approach the touching. When I did touch mine it was while they were eating some good ol' stinky canned food. I would make sure they weren't looking at me and I would gently scratch that famous spot on the back right above the tail. Pretty soon the trust started but it will take time. Lots and lots of patience and time. My last step was the shoestring! Once the kitty begins to be calm when your present then start dragging a string or toy . Eventually the young ones can't stand and start chasing and over time I pulled it closer and closer to me and would sneak in a pet or two as they went by. Eventually they ended up in my lap with a little forced petting and then back to play. They soon learned that if they "endured" the touching then we would play some more! Finally they figured out the liked it and now I can't keep them out of my lap!!!
I promise the pay off is worth the effort!!! I hope I have been of some help and there are many approaches to taming ferals. This is how I handled mine.

catmandu
07-09-2004, 08:59 AM
My God,he looks so much,like the Young Michael,who was A Farm cat,and a bit wild ,Too! But leave him,aloneand sooner,or later he will be comfortable with you,and a\make aFine a Cat as Michael has!

Lacey
07-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Got Mowgli in a cage now (which should at least save the bathroom door some wear and tear). I almost think I should've gotten a bigger cage, but this one will do. He's still a frightened little baby. And tomorrow morning he's getting poked and prodded and stuck with needles at the white coat's.

Does anyone know how well a cat can do with a hamster water bottle? I was kind of thinking of getting one for Mowgli's cage so that the water bowl can come out of there and he can have a bit more room.

QueenScoopalot
07-09-2004, 04:17 PM
I have some cups made for large birds like parrots etc. and are terrific as they hook out of the way and I can use one for water one for food.
http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/blackmamaandnewbornsix.jpg
I put this picture here as it shows one of the cups. Some pet stores carry them but they're getting harder to find and when I do find them I usually buy a dozen or so to have on hand. Hope all goes well with handsome little Mowgli at the white coats tomorrow. I have great luck getting ferals out of the cage and to the vets in a laundry bag with a cinch cord. Not only does it calm the cat down, but the vets can also tranq. them and do the needed shots etc after without any extra stress on the cat.

Lacey
07-09-2004, 07:54 PM
All of you have given me so much good advice! I really appreciate it!

Those parrot bowls definitely look handy! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some. In the meantime, I just refilled the water bowl by poking a sports bottle between the bars and squirting water into the bowl. It worked, but my being that close to the cage sure didn't do anything to help Mowgli's nerves (of course, neither will going to the vet tomorrow).

The next challenge will be figuring out how to get him out of the cage, into the laundry bag, and then into the carrier.

kuhio98
07-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Do you have a stinky t-shirt or sweatshirt that smells like you? No, not that you're stinky but something you might have sweated in? I'd put it in the cage with Mowgli to snuggle on. Hopefully, in time, she'll learn to associate your scent with comfort. It worked so well with Kuhio that she could usually be found asleep in the dirty laundry basket. :D

Lacey
07-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Oh! That's a good idea! I've got plenty of shirts that smell like me because I haven't done laundry in a while. *hand slap* Bad Lacey! Though right now I'd probably be risking a hand if I reached in to shove a t-shirt in the cage. ^.^ Then again, maybe I can slip it between the bars...

leslie flenner
07-09-2004, 09:07 PM
you do have the cage covered right? ok to keep door area opened to room. if you have put a box in the back tilted on it's side with no flaps only about a third of the length of cage, it gives him a place to huddle while you change food, water, and litter. (take out things, shut door and return them by opening door only leaving enough room for what you need! My feral kitten went flying like a flying squirrel when I opened the door the other day and if she hadn't aimed for the hinged end (silly girl) she would have made it out!).
I read to my ferals. In a voice like I'm reading to a kid. Just whatever I happen to be reading at the time. They relax, start walking around the cage while I read, even fall asleep! (As opposed to staring wide-eyed at me with fear!) I make occassional eye contact then look away. (like we're supposed to do with ferals anyway- also, look at them in the eyes, close your eyes for several seconds, then open them looking in another direction. do this a few times, and you'll see them start to do long eye closes and looking away- it's a sign of trust. When you smile, don't let your teeth show.)
I've been petting my feral with a back scratcher. she hisses but when she finally stops, I switch to my hand, she hisses again but eventually stops. this has been going on 5 days. Still hisses when i initially approach her- sigh....
takes a lot of patience.
Is there a rush on getting to the vet?