PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to Microchip...

Cookiebaker
07-08-2004, 04:06 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/07/08/dog.found.ap/index.html

Computer chip IDs long lost dog
Thursday, July 8, 2004 Posted: 8:03 AM EDT (1203 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/US/West/07/08/dog.found.ap/story.chevy.ap.jpg

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Thomas Gaide thought the caller was barking up the wrong tree.

An animal shelter in California couldn't possibly have his dog, Chevy.

Chevy was right in front of him, 650 miles away at his Boise home.

But when the man insisted and mentioned a computer chip in the dog's neck, Gaide realized that after seven years, Chevy's predecessor had finally been found.

The older dog disappeared from Gaide's Hayward, California, backyard in 1996.

Calls were made to the pound, hours were spent searching the neighborhood and countless flyers were posted to no avail.

It was six years before Gaide could bring himself to buy another black lab, and name it Chevy.

Gaide and the younger dog moved to Boise last year.

The call about the original Chevy came about three weeks ago, Gaide said, after shelter officials tracked him down through his wife, who still lives in California.

Now the older Chevy is living happily with Gaide's other three dogs, including Chevy the younger.

"The first day or two he was like, 'What's up with the new guy?' but now he acts like he remembers me, responds to me and the bond is still there," Gaide said.

QueenScoopalot
07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Boy I sure wonder where poor Chevy was hiding out all those years! Lucky and handsome dog. :) :) :)

Kfamr
07-08-2004, 04:37 PM
What a wonderful story.

I don't understand why people refuse to microchip their pets. It's not like it does any damage to the pet, it doesn't cost billions, and sure as heck is worth a few bucks to ensure farther safety of a beloved one.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-08-2004, 04:37 PM
I was getting goosebumps while I was reading this..

What a happy ending to a tragic story. I too, wonder where he was all that time. Horray for Chevy, and his owner, Thomas! :) That's wonderful.

My Peanuts
07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
OH WOW! That is unbelievable! I'm glad Sylvia and Harley have micro chips:D

BitsyNaceyDog
07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
That's awesome. I wish he could ask him what he was up to for the last 6 years. My only question is now the man has 2 dogs named Chevy, I wonder how that works.