PDA

View Full Version : Do you donate your old items?

micki76
07-08-2004, 09:41 AM
We donate to a thrift store in the next town over. The cool thing is that you can tell them what charitable organization you want the proceeds from the sale of your items to go to. We always donate in the name of the rescue that I volunteer for. :) Isn't that a neat thing?

Just wondering if anyone else has anything llike that in their area?

Logan
07-08-2004, 09:59 AM
We donate lots of old items, but I have never heard of a program like you mentioned, Micki. How neat! We have 3 different organizations that accept all sorts of things like clothing, household appliances, furniture, books, knick knacks (sp?), etc. In fact, Scott and I spent all day Monday doing some much needed sorting in our garage (we had boxes from our move and combining of two households from almost 2 years ago that we had never opened!!). Since we had duplicates of so many things, we were able to take a truckload of things to Goodwill.

robinh
07-08-2004, 11:10 AM
The shelter where I volunteer operates a thrift shop too. If I have usable items I take them there and they sell them to support the shelter. I get the tax write-off and they get the benefits - a win-win situation.

jazzcat
07-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Yes I donate all my stuff to a local rescue ministry for the homeless and I give my used clothing to the abused women's shelter that they also run.

Pam
07-08-2004, 11:43 AM
I donate all of our used clothing to our church's outreach for the poor. It is called The Lord's Clothes Tree. :) They only sell articles of clothing so household things go to a nearby place also for the poor called the St. Vincent Shop. :)

NoahsMommy
07-08-2004, 12:13 PM
That's really cool you can tell them who you'd like to benefit, micki!

We donate to the Salvation Army. :)

Uabassoon
07-08-2004, 12:34 PM
I usually just take my stuff to the salvation army as well.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Yes.

DogLover9501
07-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I usually just take my stuff to the salvation army as well.

Us too

primabella
07-08-2004, 02:29 PM
When we do our clean ups (once a year, at least) we donate everything. Our clothes, puppets, toys ect. I'm not sure where my parents bring them.. the salvation army and the YMCA or something? LOL not sure, but I do know we donate. :)

anna_66
07-08-2004, 05:07 PM
We donate to the Salvation Army, anything of use I always take there.

Amber
07-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Yes!

Twisterdog
07-08-2004, 08:47 PM
I donate everything to a local thrift store here. It is run by an organization that helps mentally and physically handicapped people. And since I sometimes tend to have a bit of an over-shopping problem ... they get lots of donations from me! ;)

Tonya
07-08-2004, 11:20 PM
I always donate to Goodwill. Really, I think the tax write off is more beneficial then having a garage sale.

carole
07-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Usually I have a garage sale, as we need the money ourselves, but anything left over goes to charity, I try to donate to my fav charities, SPCA, Neurological foundation,Cancer society,Asthma foundation,Red cross and Salvation Army if I have any spare cash.

Lillycat
07-09-2004, 04:53 AM
usually to goodwill.....i agree, the taxwriteoff usually beats a garage sale.....i like to go to garage sales, but dont think i would enjoy having them.

Rachel
07-09-2004, 05:22 AM
By the time I am finished with my clothes, no one else would want them, so I really wasn't sure what to do with them. I called Goodwill and they do have a use for such things so off they go. Goodwill ususally gets whatever other stuff I have too unless the Animal Shelter is having a sale to raise funds.

lizbud
07-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I donate a few times a year. It all goes to AMVETS. They're
very good about calling to remind me a few days before the
pickup date also. :)

My Peanuts
07-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I donate a few times a year. It all goes to AMVETS. They're
very good about calling to remind me a few days before the
pickup date also. :)

That's what we do too, but it's called Purple Heart. Amvets & Purple Heart might be the same thing though :confused: I've heard both names come out of my mom's mouth :p

KYS
07-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Yep!

Salvation Army and Veterans are the ones I usually
donate stuff too.

Fox-Gal
07-09-2004, 06:52 PM
I use to donate to the GoodWill, till one day I happen to go in there. Once I saw how much they where charging these people, I stoped. I just didn't feel it was right, to mark the price up that high, for people that can barely affored the basic in life.

So now I give to a place called New Hope, I like them a lot better. They seem to care more. The woman who runs the place is a real sweet heart.

Tina
07-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Yes, we have a community center down in town I take stuff to. I take stuff there probably at least 2 to 3 times a year.

kimlovescats
07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
We donate lots to the ARC (American Retarded Citizens). They have a truck that comes to your house and picks up your boxes ... you just call them and leave your boxes on the front steps. We also donate to our local Goodwill too. I also have a friend whose neice has a single mom .... I pass a bunch of my girls' clothing on to her! ;)