PDA

View Full Version : Worms! *does the creepy crawly dance*

sirrahved
07-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Muffin is on Interceptor. I gave her the first dose six days ago. There were five or six worms when she had a BM today... and they were alive! Is this normal? I thought they were supposed to die when they are passed? They were some of the most disgusting things I've ever seen! *shudders* Any advice would be great!

Cookiebaker
07-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Yea, worms are *NASTY*. My understanding is that dewormer makes them disconnect from the intestines, and they are passed, but not necessarily kill them.

*joins in the creepy crawly dance* ugh

micki76
07-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Ok. This is so gross, but was it a fresh poop? Old poops can have "other things" in them besides worms. They look like worms, and trust me, you don't wanna know what they are. Now that I know about these "other things", I pick up the poop everyday in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

If it was a fresh poop, she also may need another dose at some point. We had to give poor Abby two doses she was so infested. :(

sirrahved
07-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Straight out of the doggie. She gets Interceptor every month to prevent heartworms and intestinal worms. Will this be enough, or might she need something else? Sorry guys... I've never had my own dog before... just my parents' dogs. Never had to deal with this before!

chocolatepuppy
07-07-2004, 10:12 PM
interceptor should only be given once a month. My dogs take it .It is for heartworms but also controls hookworm,roundworm and whipworm. One of the reasons I chose interceptor is because it controls whipworms. Mandy had them once and they say they can live in your soil for years.If your dog is pooping out the worms that should be a good sign.Maybe you could call your vet if you have any questions to be sure.

micki76
07-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Are they like segments? DO they look like rice or spaghetti? She'll probably need medication for the specific type of worms.

Ask all the questions that you feel you need to ask. That's what we're all here for. :)

sirrahved
07-08-2004, 04:20 AM
I knew she shouldn't have her Interceptor again, but I'm wondering if she'll have to go to the vet again *sighs*

I couldn't find anything on the internet that looked like what she has.... they were close to an inch long, with a part that you could tell was the head by the way they moved.... kind of flat looking, and ridged.

Jason just took her out, so I have no idea what "happened" this morning.

Thank you everyone SO much! It's so nice to have people that will help:)

micki76
07-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Sounds like tapeworms to me, but I'm not expert. :p If you can get a fresh sample in a ziploc, take it to your vet. There's no need for her to go back. You should be able to take the sample in and have them can tell you what it is and give you the approporiate dosage based on her weight on file. :)

mruffruff
07-08-2004, 09:27 AM
I agree that it sounds like tapeworms. Droncit will take care of them, possibly two doses.

Tapeworms come from fleas. Interceptor doesn't cover fleas, but Revolution will, as well as ear mites and all those other things. I'm a firm believer in Revolution.

Take a sample to your vet.

Mary

heinz57_79
07-08-2004, 11:14 AM
I'll mruffruff... Revolution is an awesome product! Covers fleas, ticks, heartworms and regular worms AND it's not a pesticide! Great stuff!

sirrahved
07-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Interceptor was $21 for six months, and Revolution was $63 for six months. The only thing that Interceptor doesn't do is fleas and ticks... so we figured we'd do flea baths until winter. She had the drops done on her back for this month at the shelter. It sounded good but just too much money!