PDA

View Full Version : I hate mites!!!

tikeyas_mom
07-07-2004, 01:59 AM
The male rats have mites, they are soo evil!!! Why wont thoughs little bugs just die! I have bought flea and tick shampoo for dogs, didnt work. I have bought invermecton (sp?) did'nt work...

After buying all this worthless crap it came too about $50.00 CAN, and yeah. The vets cost $25.00 just to examine one rat, and then to take a skin scrape, and test it, it is about $120.00 and up.. and yeah then the treatments will cost money money money!!!

UGH..

Does anyone have a home remedy too get rid of mites?? They have them so bad, I think they got them from their packaged Aspen bedding. :mad:

NoahsMommy
07-07-2004, 11:17 PM
The vet I work for, as well as one of my co-workers, told me the other day that rats are born with mites...

I haven't heard them give any at-home remedies yet. If I do, I'll let you know.

Usually, in dogs, a series of dips are required, along with the ivermectin injections.

Desert Arabian
07-08-2004, 10:25 AM
You most likely weren't giving the Ivermectin correctly and long enough to be honest. I have never heard of it not killing parasites. When all 8 of my rats had lice I used Ivermectin and it killed them instantly. Do not use dog shampoo on rats, it is way too powerful and the medicine is too strong for rats- it can kill them.

Did you make sure to disinfect EVERYTHING the rats come in contact with a couple of times?

I suggest doing Ivermectin again, give them a little dot the size of uncooked rice. I also bought powdered flea and tick control made by Zodiac and sprinkled that in the bedding- which also helped a lot in killing the lice. It has carbaryl in it which is awesome in killing parasites.

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Did you make sure to disinfect EVERYTHING the rats come in contact with a couple of times?
yes I did that very thing.

What type of Ivermectin did you use?

Desert Arabian
07-09-2004, 09:24 PM
I ordered it from the RMCA in a little jar....

sirrahved
07-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Luckily, my vet didn't charge an exam fee when I had mites. He just prescribed a tube of something that is made for cats and dogs, but he said to use one drop and I never had problems after that!