PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here afraid of

moosmom
07-06-2004, 11:10 PM
dying?

No, I'm not about to bump myself off. I was just curious if anyone here feels like I do.

I AM afraid to die. I don't know why. I don't WANT to die. I want to live forever and I KNOW that's not going to happen.

Alot of people feel that dying is a peaceful, wonderful experience, like when cats go to the Rainbow Bridge. Your spirit drifts away from your body to a better, peaceful place.

But the fact that I wouldn't be able to be with my family and friends every again really scares me.

Twisterdog
07-06-2004, 11:23 PM
No, I'm not afraid of dying. I certainly am not looking forward to it happening any time soon, though!

My brother died when he was quite young, and many things were left undone and unsaid in our family. I try to remember that, and to live for the present. I try to say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done ... write a will, say I'm sorry, whatever the case may be.

I hope to live to a ripe old age .. but not so old that I'm trying to walk to the mailbox in my underwear or wearing diapers, though! ;) And I hope that when it is near my time to go that I will be at peace with the process, and ready to take the next step. I think (and hope) that dying is not an end, but simply a change.

MariaM
07-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm not afraid of dying at all. Sometimes I look forward to it.

moosmom
07-06-2004, 11:44 PM
I hope that when it is near my time to go that I will be at peace with the process, and ready to take the next step. I think (and hope) that dying is not an end, but simply a change

Very good point.

If I ever get to the point where I become a burden to my family, lose my bodily functions and my mind, I'll definitely cruise on outta there on my own. That is IF I can remember where I put the pills!! :p ;)

krazyaboutkatz
07-06-2004, 11:56 PM
No, I'm not afraid of dying. I know I don't want to live forever and it's just a natural part of life. I just hope that when it happens that I go quickly so that I'm not in a lot of pain. I think that the best way to go would be to die in your sleep. That is how my grandmother passed away.

CountryWolf07
07-07-2004, 12:09 AM
I am the same way. I am terrified of dying, but I know it is part of life. I am just living the life right now, and having fun - because LIFE IS TOO SHORT!

Aspen and Misty
07-07-2004, 12:54 AM
I'm not afried of dieing, I'm afred of HOW I'm going to die.....

Ash :(

aly
07-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Its funny you brought this up. Its been on my mind a lot lately. I want to live forever too. I love life so much. I've been afraid of dying (I can barely even say or type that word) my whole life. Even when I was pretty young, I remember being terrified even thinking of it. As a teenager, I felt pretty invincible. But now I'm 25 and feel like the oldest person ever and can't get the fear of dying out of my head. I know its crazy of me and I'm trying really hard to push it out so I don't ironically miss out on life because I'm scared of losing it!

I'm also very scared of losing my family and loved ones. I believe in my heart that we will be reunited, but there is a small unsure part of me. I just wish we all could stay on this world forever.

popcornbird
07-07-2004, 02:38 AM
No, I'm not afraid to die. I see this life as a *phase*, or a transit. The real ever-lasting life, from my beliefs, is the life to come in the hereafter. This life is just temporary. We are all going to die one day.......all of us. There was a time when we were all in our mother's womb, with no clue of what the world we would end up in would be like. Just as that was a *phase* in life, our life in this world is what I see as another phase. When we die, we are just going to the next phase in life. From our beliefs, death is not the end. It is the start of the eternal life, which will be Heaven or Hell, depending on how you lived your life on earth. Now, although death does not scare me, there is something that scares me. I'm afraid of living my life the wrong way and God forbid, ending up in the fires of Hell. While I try my best to be a good person, and always repent for my mistakes, a part of me still worries that I may not be living my life completely as God wants me to. So while death in itself does not scare me, that issue does. I want to go to Heaven after death, and I want to make sure I don't fail the *test* of life. Other than that issue, *death*, in itself, does not scare me. Its something that's going to come to all of us, whether we like it, or not.

davidpizzica
07-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Donna, I don't think I'm afraid to die,but I'd like to live to be my dad's age when he passed away! He lived to be 96. Also to be as active as he was up until then. He quit driving at the age of 93!

binka_nugget
07-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Yes! I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Just the thought of it one day ending scares me.

Kfamr
07-07-2004, 05:59 AM
I'm not so much afraid of dying... i'm just afraid of leaving behind what I have to take care of... my things, my pets, my friends. What will happen when I'm gone....

RobiLee
07-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Yes, I am. Only because I am so afraid of what I might miss. I just don't wanna miss a thing!

When I was told I had cancer, I was soooo scared! Even though my situation was not that bad... when I first heard the word cancer I immediately thought the worse and all I could think about was that I did not want to leave my family.

Robin :)

micki76
07-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by RobiLee
Yes, I am. Only because I am so afraid of what I might miss. I just don't wanna miss a thing!

When I was told I had cancer, I was soooo scared! Even though my situation was not that bad... when I first heard the word cancer I immediately thought the worse and all I could think about was that I did not want to leave my family.

Robin :)

I have to ditto this. I felt the same way when I was diagnosed. I wondered if my husband would remember that Chester gets cold very easily and put a sweater on him at the slightest temperature change. I wondered if he would remember to take him to get his allergy shots on time each month.

Now I'm just so grateful to be ALIVE! And anytime I dont feel well, or quite "right" I make a doctor appointment and get right in to see her.

slleipnir
07-07-2004, 09:36 AM
I have major death 'issues'. I am very afraid of death and not knowing what it exactly is. I get very sad just hearing about someone dying even if I don't know them.

catlover4ever
07-07-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm afraid of dying. I think it is because I can not fathom the thought or idea of not being on a physical plain....does that make sense??? The thought of not being in my physical body...not being here on earth...

I was raised Catholic so I do beleive in Heaven and Hell and I do beleive we go to one or the other. I know this for a fact I guess you could say.

My grandmother died in 2000. She was dying from cancer and I will never forget her last days. I grew up with my grandparents and my mom....we all lived together so I was very close to my grandparents.

It was a Friday that we checked her in for the last time. She died the following Wednesday. I was with her when she died. She had become comatose on Saturday evening...just after my hubby and I visited her as a couple for the last time. I thought it very odd that when she died she opened her eyes and looked at the window in her room and smiled. :) It was not until after we left that one of her nurses came to mom and I and said "Did she tell you before she passed that she talked to her mother and to "Tommy"? Our mouths dropped....her mom had been deceased for many, many years and Tommy was my grandfather and he had been dead for 21 years.....She saw them before she died on Friday night.... They told her she was going to a better place where there was no pain or suffering....but she told them she needed just a little more time....more time for Myra to come (her sister...her soul mate). Aunt Myra came the day she died and was there with her, my mom and I when she passed.

Knowing that there is a better place to go makes me happy but I'm still scared. I don't know if I will ever be able to get over the fact of feeling so scared but I sure do hope I will. --- Meg

CatMama78
07-07-2004, 11:37 AM
I'm very afraid to die. Unfortunately I think about it a lot, like how you just never know when or how. That's what scares me. How I'm going to die! I'm really paranoid about gunfire. I don't know why, but I've had dreams that were VERY realistic where I was shot. Anyways, aside from that I'm also a little afraid about what happens afterwards. I try to have faith that there is a purpose and a plan, but I can't help but let myself wonder, what if afterwards - well what if there is no afterwards?? I choose to blieve there is a God and a great afterlife, but in the back of my head, I have doubts and I just hope that God understands my doubts. I think it's normal to have doubts. I just hope that in the end all those fantasies I've had of real happiness do come true. I think this life is hard enough that it would make sense that in the end the afterlife is a reward of happiness for all our struggles.

MariaM
07-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Now, although death does not scare me, there is something that scares me. I'm afraid of living my life the wrong way and God forbid, ending up in the fires of Hell. While I try my best to be a good person, and always repent for my mistakes, a part of me still worries that I may not be living my life completely as God wants me to. So while death in itself does not scare me, that issue does. I want to go to Heaven after death, and I want to make sure I don't fail the *test* of life. Other than that issue, *death*, in itself, does not scare me. Its something that's going to come to all of us, whether we like it, or not.

I have to also ditto this.

kimlovescats
07-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I would be lying if I didn't say that yes I do worry about when my life will end .... I think it is only human nature to think about what we will miss, and who we will miss. However, I trust in my Heavenly Father to take me when the time is right ... knowing that Heaven is far greater than any of us could ever imagine! I believe that being the loving Father that He is ... he would not give us the capacity to feel loss in Heaven. I believe that we will not experience anything painful or sorrowful there, and will be joyfully reunited with our loved ones who have gone before us.
I also find comfort in knowing that God will provide for those that we leave behind here on earth. Our lives here are only an instant compared to the eternity we can and will enjoy in Heaven.

I am thankful to God each and every day that I accepted Christ Jesus into my heart years ago, and walk daily with Him in my heart!:) No, I am not perfect, but I know that I am saved, and unless I ever fail to acknowledge HIM for who HE is, then I will be going to Heaven!

:D

Kim

moosmom
07-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Ya know, after reading all the responses, it makes alot more sense to me now.

I don't think it's death or dying I'm afraid of, it's HOW I die. I've always said that if I had my way, I'd prefer to die peacefully in my sleep rather than in pain and agony.

sirrahved
07-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I don't think it's death or dying I'm afraid of, it's HOW I die. I've always said that if I had my way, I'd prefer to die peacefully in my sleep rather than in pain and agony.

This is my fear, too. I don't want to be in pain, or a burden, or to die slowly. I have no fear about death itself, just what happens directly before! Give me a massive heart attack, carbon monoxide poisoning, a giant brain hemorrhage, severe blunt head trauma where I die at impact... I don't want to see it coming, don't want to feel anything for too long, and don't want to hang on by a thread for any length of time. I know I've got better things... WAY better things waiting for me on the other side!

stacwase
07-07-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm not afraid of dying. I look forward to the journey actually. I'll finally find out about life after death!

I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of getting old. Becoming a widow. Breaking a hip. Being alone. Getting cancer. Being afraid, with no shoulder to cry on. Being turned side to side every two hours in a nursing home. Now I'm getting all upset.

Bad, bad subject! BAd! hehe

sirrahved
07-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Not going to get involved, but maybe the previous comments belong in the doghouse?

CatMama78
07-07-2004, 01:19 PM
You're probably right. I went ahead and deleted it - we're here to discuss pets and I don't want to cause any conflict. I wrote on a quick emotional reaction is all :)

Uabassoon
07-07-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm not so much afraid of death as I am dying in some sort of freak accident where I have to suffer before I die. I'm more afraid of what possible pain will come before it then what will happen afterwards.

sirrahved
07-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks catmama! No hard feelings, I hope:) I've learned my lesson well and am trying to make sure I don't upset people anymore!

bluekat
07-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Yes, I'm afraid of dying. I would also like to be immortal and live forever, but I know that's impossible. I'm just curious of how this world will turn out in hundreds of years, I want to live to see it. Like also figuring out all the mysteries of life. Well, its not really that I'm really afraid, its just that I don't want to die...I don't want to leave everything I have behind.:(

nibblets
07-07-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm not afraid of death....I'm fearful of life at times.

nibblets
07-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
It was not until after we left that one of her nurses came to mom and I and said "Did she tell you before she passed that she talked to her mother and to "Tommy"? Our mouths dropped....her mom had been deceased for many, many years and Tommy was my grandfather and he had been dead for 21 years.....She saw them before she died on Friday night.... They told her she was going to a better place where there was no pain or suffering....but she told them she needed just a little more time....more time for Myra to come (her sister...her soul mate). Aunt Myra came the day she died and was there with her, my mom and I when she passed.

Knowing that there is a better place to go makes me happy but I'm still scared. I don't know if I will ever be able to get over the fact of feeling so scared but I sure do hope I will. --- Meg

My Grandmother was dying with cancer and by rights should not have hung on to life as long as she did...but she kept saying she was waiting for someone. The day she passed away she said 'He came to me last night and showed me where I am going. It is a beautiful place...Oh, you should see the flowers. And he is such a gentle soul, I know where I'm going now.'

She then let it be known she would need a pillow under head because she could never sleep well without a good pillow, and she wanted her watch and her glasses so she could see what time it was when she got to heaven...:D . She passed gently that evening.
And yes! She had her satin pillow, watch and glasses.

Dot
07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
I'm not afraid of dying at all. Sometimes I look forward to it.

Don't say that, Maria! You're too young to be looking forward to dying! Anyway, what would Major do without you?????

moosmom
07-07-2004, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry if I've upset anyone here. I was just curious and would be happy to delete the thread if it'll make everyone feel better. :(

Kfamr
07-07-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't think you've upset anyone Donna, there's no need to delete. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-08-2004, 01:16 AM
I used to have feelings that I wanted to die, but things have cleared up... and I feel a lot better, so much that I don't want to die... it's a really scary thought. I have a lot to live for and I want to fulfill my dreams before I die.

ramanth
07-08-2004, 12:05 PM
I don't fear death, but I don't welcome it either. If it's my time, it's my time. I just hope I don't suffer. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-08-2004, 12:54 PM
I like Kim's point... I just don't want to suffer. I don't want a long term illness like cancer or whatnot, that will slowly kill me. I want something... erm... peaceful? Like dying in my sleep. :-X

DogLover9501
07-08-2004, 02:33 PM
YES

Dying is something I have worried about since way too young(7-8 years old) I had to see guidance counselors and everything in elementary school because of it, and I would have night mares, but it was never ME that died, always someone important to me(usually my mom).

And even at 7-8 I hated getting older, only because it meant my mom was getting older, I guess thats what I was mostly afraid of, was my mom dying.

I think it's mostly because, the dad that raised me since I was two years old, isn't my "real" dad, my "real" dad died a month before I was born, and I knew that from a young age, and I guess that made me scared that my mom might die too.

But yes, it's something I think about alot, atleast one night a week I have to go read/come on PT, watch a movie...ANYTHING to stop me from wondering/thinking about it, because then I get a sick stomach!

I worry about it enough now, at 17, I can't imagine what Im going to be like in 10-20 years!!!

Kirsten
07-08-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm also afraid of dying. I fear my own death and the death of those I love... I know it's just the natural way, but it's scaring me.

Kirsten

BCBlondie
07-08-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm not afraid of dying.. but I'm really afraid to lose anyone close to me.. especially my little sister, Megan, or Miksy (my dogs). I've always been really close to my sister and we along really well. Megan's with me 24/7. She even sleeps in my bed at night and is next to me while I'm on the computer.. she's soo obsessed with me lol and always makes me feel better when I'm sad. I've had Miksy growing up and he's helped me go through a lot of different things. I don't know what I'd do without them... :(

CamCamPup33
07-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm *VERY* afraid to die.. When i was little, like 8 or 9, i would cry hysterically thinking about it.. All these thoughts would like race through my mind.. The number one thing i always thought of was i'm going to be buried in the ground for who know's how long.. That just scares me.. Not sure why, i have always been though and still am.. I don't want to die, i don't like knowing that at a point i'll be without my family or my friends.. I try not to think about it much though because it really does scare me.. Sometimes i'll go crying to my mom about it, i know that sounds weird, but i don't know.. I guess i just have a major anxiety over dying..

And Doglover -- Same with me.. I had to go to guidence counslers also, i would be so afraid to leave my mom (Mind you this was 6th grade).. I would make her walk me in to school and then watch her leave.. I would always tell her to wear her seatbelt and everything. I just wanted to make sure she was safe.. I would always say i would rather be with her if something happened to her, rather than without her.. But i'm okay now.. lol :p

Karen
07-08-2004, 07:22 PM
I am not afraid to die. Never have been. Gonna see my grandmas and grandpas and lots of people (and pets) who've gone on ahead. Mom, too.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
--Isaac Asimov

I have had many elderly friends and relatives. Most have been at peace about dying. Mary Green, who is now 104, told me when the Lord calls her, she's ready - she told me that at least ten years ago.

I find it sad when people outlive their friends and family, and grow increasingly lonely and frail at the same time. Alzheimers is almost unbearably cruel. As is arthritis. As is senile dementia. And this list goes on.

I once asked my (Great step-)Uncle Lonnie which he thought was worse. He and my Great Uncle Mac were of a similar age. (Lonnie married Mac's step-sister). Mac had Alzheimers, so didn't know where he was, didn't know how sick he was. His body was okay, but his mind was gone. Lonnie, after a lifetime of hard work, was crippled - virtually frozen stiff - with arthritis. His body was gone but his mind was fine. He said he honestly didn't know which was worse, but wished neither condition on anyone, friend or enemy.

I have hoped, since I was a small child, that by the time I am old, there will be a cure for arthritis and for Alzheimers. I'm a little younger than the Baby-Boom generation, so maybe that will happen.

Amber
07-08-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm like Robin. I'm afraid to loose my mom, and even my dad. I guess I started REALLY getting afraid when we almost lost my dad. Before that I was never afraid of death. But now. I'm just plain scared. I'm actually afraid to go to sleep at night, I'm so afraid I'm not going to wake up. ya know?

Just really scary because who knows how long we all have on Earth. we could be gone today, tomorrow, or 30 years from now.

heinz57_79
07-08-2004, 08:39 PM
I'm not afraid of dying so much as dying ALONE. I'm hoping that my karma has improved enough in this life that when I come back it will be even better. I don't want to die in pain and I don't want to not have my wits about me. I usually don't think about it, I try to live in the now and live life to its fullist. :)

moosmom
07-09-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm not afraid of dying so much as dying ALONE

I think that's what I fear the VERY MOST is dying alone!!

When my Dad passed away, I had a memorial service for him (against his wishes, but it gave ME closure). I put an announcement in the newspaper. He was a very well know news photographer and had many friends, was a past member of the Connecticut Governor's Horse Guard. What I hurt me so much and I found so very disapointing was that a total of 10 people showed up. TEN PEOPLE!!!!! I still cry everytime I think about that because he did so much in his life. Not even my mother's sisters came!!! Even after he took their father (my grandfather) who was a very bad alcoholic, in to live with us!!!

I'm sorry, I have to sign off now. :( :( Didn't mean to upset anyone.

Toby's Mommy
07-10-2004, 03:26 PM
I want to stay young forever. I can't see myself getting to be a grandma or anything. I can only see myself in my 20's.:D