PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Canada?

teenster3
07-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Matthew & I decided that we are going to drive to Canada tommorrow morning. This was a last minute decision of course & was wondering if anyone else has been there & if so how did you like it & what did you do?
We're on vacation until next Monday (I'm off til Wed.) so we'll see how it goes. I think we're only going to stay a few days though.
I'm both excited & nervous. I think because of the drive & I don't know what to expect. My husband on the other hand has no worries in the world!:rolleyes:
I just hope everything goes smoothly but, I can't wait to get away!:)
I have my parents spending the night to watch Wicket & Waffles for us. I'll miss them. I'm glad it's just a few days.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Yep, we're going again this year in August. :) My family owns an Island in Ontario, and we're going to stay there for about two weeks.

Have fun! Take pictures! ;)

cali
07-06-2004, 06:42 PM
been here? lol I LIVE here :p where in canada are you going? by the way its VERY nice and friendly in canada lol but if you go to Sask. bring warm cloths that will keep ya dry, the wheather is odd here lately, while normally right now it would be in the 40's(Celcius) its only in the 20s and apperntly not getting warmer :( everywhere AROUND here though has nice warm wheather lol

micki76
07-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
My family owns an Island in Ontario, and we're going to stay there for about two weeks.

Did I read that right? Your family owns an island? Is your last name DiMera? Are you the mastermind?

LMAO, sorry only a few people will get this little joke. :D

carole
07-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Oh do I envey you, Canada is on my list for visiting one of these days, if you love shopping be sure to go to that fantastic mall in Edmonton, that is my dream shopping trip. HMM one of these days, hopefully.

Not only that the scenery is beautiful, I see lots of promotions in NZ encouraging people to visit, sure has me hooked.

Have a wonderful trip, hope you will have pics to share.

teenster3
07-06-2004, 06:50 PM
mmmmm.....
We probably won't go too far. My dad told me to try Thunder Bay?!
We're coming from Edgerton, WI (closest big city being Madison). I'm not sure how long it will take us.
We went to Ohio last year...that took us 8 hours to get there.
I hear it's what....about 9-10 hours or so???
I think we're going through Minnesota.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Did I read that right? Your family owns an island? Is your last name DiMera? Are you the mastermind?

LMAO, sorry only a few people will get this little joke. :D

Guess I'm not one of those people.. ;) He he.

But, yep, we actually own an island! I posted a picture of it before, but here it is again..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/p4095d74d9c52cf9814c4e0b439a7bd30/f87f6ed3.jpg

micki76
07-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Guess I'm not one of those people.. ;) He he.

But, yep, we actually own an island! I posted a picture of it before, but here it is again..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/p4095d74d9c52cf9814c4e0b439a7bd30/f87f6ed3.jpg

W:eek:W!!!!

cali
07-06-2004, 06:52 PM
be sure to go to that fantastic mall in Edmonton

for the information of anyone who cares its called west edmonton mall, its the worlds largest mall, it also has the worlds largest parking lot lol and you dont need to like shopping to go there, there is a wave pool, and bungie jumping, and there is amusment park rides, and they did have a dolphin tank, but I believe the last Dolphin was moved somewhere more appropriate for dolphins then a mall.

carole
07-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Cali I have been there, but only via the internet, boo hoo, I sooo...want to go there one day, I mean I could spend over a week just there alone, it looks awesome.

OH my GOSH that island looks so tranquil and peaceful, heaven, what a lucky girl you are to own such a paradise.

teenster3
07-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Carole.....
Oh, it would be so cool to visit NZ as well.....if only we had the money!:p
We haven't been to too many places. I've been to FL, OH, IL, MN. Matthew's been: FL, OH , IL, CO. I think it's just so neat that we actually get to go to Canada.
I'll try my best to get pictures downloaded on here someday!

Golden.....
Beautiful picture......wish we were staying there!!!!!:D

HAHA Micki76!!!!!:D

teenster3
07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Cali......
Did I hear you say dolphins???
One of my favorite animals in the whole world......I have wanted soooo badly to swim with a dolphin!!!!!
But yeah...I can see why they would move them someone else!

carole
07-06-2004, 07:02 PM
I have been to the states when I was young, saved up myself and went, I only saw LA, Tijuania (sp),San diego (love it there), travelled by bus to Salt Lake City from there, and up to Montana and Yellowstone Park, thats my lot, but would love to return oneday, but Canada is top of my list after Uk, something about it just attracts me, not just the shopping mall lol.

Yes little old Kiwiland is not too bad a place to visit, Gini has been here and loved it, we have some nice spots like any country, but we are small and unpopulated, and that is probably what people like best, no crowds, and the mud pools and geyser etc etc.

This thread is turning into a tourism thread lol.

slleipnir
07-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Why yes I have. ;)

MariaM
07-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Yeah...I have been there! You could say I have been there so much....it is almost like I LIVE THERE.

I have never been to "the mall" though. My mom and sister were lucky enough to go last year sometime. And uh...there is NO SCENERY in Saskatchewan, maybe B.C. lol but not here. But I LOVE it here anyway :D Just looove the country land and stuff.

Hey Cali, I'm not sure where in Sask you live, but it never gets around 40 here! Never has. Usually its about 30, at the most. I like 25 or so.

Karen
07-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Been to Toronto, which was nice, and to Quebec - to Parc Safari, which was really cool!

cali
07-06-2004, 08:02 PM
where is sask do you live maria?

Edwina's Secretary
07-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Do be sure and take some proof of US citizenship.....such as a voter's id card or a birth certificate. A driver's license is NOT proof of citizenship!

Crikit
07-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Thunder Bay might be a little out of the way for you to go, I'm having problems remembering where in Ontario it is but I know it's one of the more out of the way cities.

West Ed's okay considering it's in Edmonton and all :D ;) It'd be even better if it was in Calgary. :D

Glacier
07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
And uh...there is NO SCENERY in Saskatchewan, maybe B.C. lol but not here. But I LOVE it here anyway :D Just looove the country land and stuff.

Hey Cali, I'm not sure where in Sask you live, but it never gets around 40 here! Never has. Usually its about 30, at the most. I like 25 or so.

Saskatchewan's a beautiful province, you just have to like wide open spaces. I love going back to visit--I'm leaving on July 19 for a trip to Sask to see my family. When I first moved to a mountain region, I felt incredibly claustraphobic. I still like a horizon that isn't right in front of my face!

Last summer when I was in Southern Saskatchewan, it was close to 40 the entire week. This Northerner almost melted!:eek:

MariaM
07-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I live near Yorkton. :eek: I'm surprised it got to be 40! I swear, where we are, its HOT if it gets to 30. Usually we get a couple 31-32 days but most of our summers (usually) is...oh say 20+

cali
07-06-2004, 09:07 PM
ok lol I live in Regina, 40's are common in the middle of July over here lol we get boiling hot and feezing cold I believe we got -55 this past winter, but that was unusualy cold lol but the wheather has ben so cold latly that we had a big frost like 2-3 weeks ago it was so cold! this summer 21 is hot lol

RubyMutt
07-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Yep, many times :)

I usually go up to British Columbia at least a few times a year (it's only a 2 hour drive from where I live)

green_chameleon_girl
07-06-2004, 09:28 PM
lol I live in Canada (Ottawa) Canada! I love it here lol so of course I have been to canada;):D

Cincy'sMom
07-06-2004, 09:35 PM
I 've been to Windsor to gamble, Toronto and Niagra Falls on my senior class trip and to Avon n the Lake to see some plays when I was in high school.

teenster3
07-06-2004, 10:00 PM
So tell me more.......
What do we need to take clothing-wise, etc.
I looked up mapquest.com & I see it'll take about 13 hours for us to get there. AGH what a drive, don't know if I can do it.
I'm wearing shorts, right now it's about 65 degrees here.
I didn't know we needed to bring a birth certificate....I thought a driver's license was sufficient. Glad to know that.

slick
07-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
Yep, many times :)

I usually go up to British Columbia at least a few times a year (it's only a 2 hour drive from where I live)
Let me know next time you are up. Maybe we could get together for coffee or lunch or something. :) I'm in New Westminster.

wolf_Q
07-06-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm going there in a couple of weeks...I've never been there before.

We're going to Calgary. :) I was told that you need to have a birth certificate. I'm also bringing Nebo so I'm getting his updated vaccinations before we go and also a health certificate just in case.

I think for $$ we're just going to use VISA cards (they are accepted most anywhere, right?) I'm going to see if I can get some USD exchanged to CAD somewhere too just in case.

Crikit
07-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

We're going to Calgary. :) I was told that you need to have a birth certificate. I'm also bringing Nebo so I'm getting his updated vaccinations before we go and also a health certificate just in case.

I think for $$ we're just going to use VISA cards (they are accepted most anywhere, right?) I'm going to see if I can get some USD exchanged to CAD somewhere too just in case.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

As for what to wear and bring to be honest it all depends on what part of the country you are going to. For example the weather in the Southern Alberta (Calgary, where I am) can vary vastly from the weather in Northern Alberta. I would recommend that you check with Enviroment Canada or someother online weather service and see what the weather is currently like where you are going and what it's going to be like in a few days. For the most part though the majority of the country is in the high teens to early 20's at the moment I believe (celcius)

Twisterdog
07-06-2004, 11:10 PM
I went to Canada once, when I was in college. I think we crossed the border at Detroit, Michigan, and drove to Niagra Falls. It was sort of just like the USA. :)

Shelteez2
07-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Crikit

West Ed's okay considering it's in Edmonton and all :D ;) It'd be even better if it was in Calgary. :D

Spoken like a true Calgarian!! ;) :D

Have you heard about that new shopping center they are building just off deerfoot? It's supposed to have 700 stores....

Crikit
07-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Spoken like a true Calgarian!! ;) :D

Have you heard about that new shopping center they are building just off deerfoot? It's supposed to have 700 stores....

Only another Calgarian would get that statement, which makes only more amusing to me. :D

Yeah I can't wait until it's built, even if it means that Ikea has to move down south.

Glacier
07-06-2004, 11:51 PM

Make sure you have a copy of his rabies certificate. They won't let you back into the States without it. They may not ask for it at the Canadian border, but they will when you go back. The customs guy when I cross into Alaska always asks to see the rabies certificate. The canadian guy never does.

Yup, your Visa will work just fine in Calgary.

teenster3
07-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Well I guess this discussion was all for nothing.
I'm so bummed right now......
We can't go due to money reasons. I guess we're going to plan on it for next year though. I didn't realize how much it was going to cost in gasoline alone. My husband figured about $120.00 just in gas. We don't have any credit cards & I don't think we could get any in just a few hours.:(
Gosh, I really wish we had more money but, I still have to be thankful for what we do have.
It just feels like a BIG let-down though!

jenfer
07-07-2004, 12:27 AM
I am sorry your plan is ruined.

But just to reply to your initial question, I went to Canada many times (mainly to Vancouver and Richmond). I think I have also been to Benf (I know this is the wrong spelling), Lake Louise and a few other pretty places. :) Pretty place.

wolf_Q
07-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
Make sure you have a copy of his rabies certificate. They won't let you back into the States without it. They may not ask for it at the Canadian border, but they will when you go back. The customs guy when I cross into Alaska always asks to see the rabies certificate. The canadian guy never does.

Yup, your Visa will work just fine in Calgary.

Hmm his rabies isn't due until next year, so I'm not getting it done this time. I'm not sure if I can find the actual certificate from last year...I know at the vet they will print out a paper that says what shots he received and when they are due which should have the rabies on it...I also have his tag. I hope that works! I'm gonna go search for the certificate though.

Glacier
07-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Hmm his rabies isn't due until next year, so I'm not getting it done this time. I'm not sure if I can find the actual certificate from last year...I know at the vet they will print out a paper that says what shots he received and when they are due which should have the rabies on it...I also have his tag. I hope that works! I'm gonna go search for the certificate though.

Your vet can print out another rabies certificate too. I've had to get reprints lots of times! I can usually find the ones for every dog, except the ones who are crossing the border with me!:rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
07-07-2004, 01:44 AM
I live in Canada hee hee

ramanth
07-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Do be sure and take some proof of US citizenship.....such as a voter's id card or a birth certificate. A driver's license is NOT proof of citizenship!
Yep! Listen to Sara. :D I always take my birth certificate with me, but have never been asked to show it.

Oh..and some of the border guards prefer 'United States of America', when they ask where you are from. I've got so many funny border stories.... oiy... ;) :D

primabella
07-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Been to Toronto, which was nice, and to Quebec - to Parc Safari, which was really cool!

I'll probably be going to Parc Dafari at the end of August! :D I'm really excited to go.

I live in Canada.. I love it here. :D

slleipnir
07-07-2004, 09:33 AM
I live in PEI. Bet no ones been there ;) I've been to Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Edmonton and places around there. I might be going to Toronto this summer, I hope :D

bluekat
07-07-2004, 10:03 AM
I live in Canada too:D I LOVE it here:p I'm about a 30 minute drive away from downtown Toronto, I just love going there. I've been to BC and Alberta two summers ago, and I just love the scenary there. I went to the Edmonton mall, and its HUGE:eek: Very nice in there too. But I heard that they're building an even bigger mall near where I live;) I saw the construction, and its really really big.

I want to go to PEI or New Brunswick or something this summer. We might go to Quebec...but I don't know yet. I hope we will.

Julie- I'm jealous of your island;) It must be very nice there.....*sighs* I wish my family owned an island:p

lizzielou742
07-07-2004, 10:12 AM
My aunt and uncle have a farm in Bolton, Ontario (outside of Toronto), my cousin and her family live in Mississauga, Ontario. I have been to Bolton but not Mississauga yet. Of course I've been to Toronto, and I went to a really cool beach once - Wasaga Beach - it had a very nice boardwalk.

Kfamr
07-07-2004, 10:18 AM
I've never been to Canada, but i'd love to go around Glacier's area. It looks SO gorgeous there... I'm jealous everytime I see her pictures.:p

EssTer
07-07-2004, 12:41 PM
I hacent been in Canada :( But I'd REALLY LOVE to go there some day, I dont know, but even live there...I could say that's my dream land LOL :)

emily_the_spoiled
07-07-2004, 01:02 PM
I used to live in Canada and I am now down in the DC area of the US. But I lived in Edmonton, Calgary, and many places in Saskatchewan. Over the years I have also spent alot of time in the Vancouver area and Kelowna (the interior of the Rocky Mountains). Each place has is own unique charm and beaty. Somedays I really miss it (especially when it is 90F and 90% humidity down here), but it is definitely different than the US and is very beautiful.

Cheryl

binka_nugget
07-07-2004, 02:57 PM
:( Sorry your plans were ruined.

It's really beautiful here. I live in Vancouver which is an extremely hectic city but all the beautiful scenary is within a couple hours from here (sometimes only a few minutes!) I can't imagine myself living anywhere else. It's so perfect here. There are gorgeous beaches, lots of dog friendly parks, tons of places to shop, places to hike, whistler to snowboard/ski, there's everything here.

I've been to the West Edmonton Mall. I don't think I enjoyed it that much :p. But then again, I was 7 or so.