PDA

View Full Version : Will your dog Work for other People?

ParNone
07-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Work, as in execute a command, not washing dishes or cleaning toilets. ;) Will your dog readily "Sit" or "Down" or "Come", etc., if somebody else gives them the command?

I've really been working with Gully on "Sit" and "Down" and "Watch Me" for puppy class, especially "Down". I want a really fast "Down" for agility, so he's the only dog in class that can go straight to a "Down", without sitting first. However, when the instructor gives him the command, he won't do it for her. She's even tried to make sure she's using the same hand signal. I can't figure out if he doesn't understand, when she gives the command or if he feels she's not the boss of him, so he doesn't have to do it for her. I'm leaning towards the boss theory. Luckily the instructor's seen us working out before class around the store, so she knows he's not stupid.

Oz is a lil' bit like this too. There's only select people, who he'll work for. Just curious if anybody else's dog is like this.

Par...

GoldenRetrLuver
07-06-2004, 02:59 PM
I was just thinking about this today!

Both of my dogs will hardly do their commands for other people, besides me. Both of my parents know they're not stupid, they CAN do them; they just don't listen to them.

I've always found it odd.. but I'm glad I'm not alone. :o:p

K9soul
07-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Nope :o. Mine really listen to no one outside of myself and David, especially Tasha. Cody used to listen to others fairly well. Willie mostly just listened to me.

MariaM
07-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Major will sit for other people in my family, but if its someone he hasn't met before, even I can't get him to sit (he goes beserk!)

He doesn't do all the commands for my family members. I think he would, but they don't do it the same way I do and he's used to (for example, shake a paw, I do it differently, they are what you call 'timid")

He'll do anything for food.:p

binka_nugget
07-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Kaedyn works for anyone. Kai will only do commands for me and *sometimes* my mom. But with the right food, Kai will work for anyone. :D

cali
07-06-2004, 04:18 PM
happy works for anyone, a total stranger asked her if she could down and down she went lol when I cant go to a tourniment somone else runs her, BUT she can also discriminate who she should listen too and who she should not trust. misty uhh well she works for me and my mom, she will do things for other people but not well. Ripley, will only work for my mom, perky works best with my mom, and blair will work for either one of us. shadow works for absolutly anyone lol she has been under the care of muliple people in her new home( a lot of family and family friends in the area) she just listens to what anyone tells her, lol she has to, she also had to learn in which places she was allowed on furniture and in which she was not.

Cincy'sMom
07-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Ours will listen to commands from anyone,most of the time. we really tried to workthem onthat whenthey were young, and they have be taught even if it is our 6 year old nephew telling them to sit, they do it. I don't think they listen as well to others, but for themost part they are pretty good.

wolf_Q
07-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Nebo listens the best to me. He will listen to my parents to an extent... A while ago my mom was trying to get him to lay on his bed. She was just a couple of feet from him. She gave the command (Go lay down) several times and he just ignored her. I was clear up the stairs...I said it once and he jumped right on the bed. With yummy food he listens to them quite well though.

I'm not sure if he really listens well to strangers, I haven't exactly tried it. He'll listen to my agility trainer pretty good though (because he knows she has goodies). He doesn't like others to do the treat on the nose trick though. He always moves his head away when others try to put it on his nose, he doesn't do that with me.

KYS
07-06-2004, 05:09 PM
For basic comands both my dogs listen to other people. :)

Cinder & Smoke
07-06-2004, 05:36 PM
:p
Dad sez we praktiss "Selective Obedience" :rolleyes:

But it'z gettin purdy ruff at PT Gathurinz -
Ded tellz ebberbuddy that we duz a *sit*, *shake*, or a *beg* ~
or it'z NO TREET!
Guess da daze of *JUMP* & *SNATCH* are ober! :(

His Furst Shepherd Casey (RB :( ) was the Master of "werkin"
for EBBERbuddie!
Dad's old company contracted for Conrail (the Railroad);
an Dad often went to Train Derailments to check on the radio equipment.
Captain of Police fur Conrail wuz wunna Casey's Best Buddies - (he'd
stop atta Shop every week - just to give her a treat!)

They went to a Bad Wreck wun day - Cap ran up an sed -
"I need the DOG - right NOW! C'mone, Casey - HEEL"
An off they went... Dad jest <shrugged>

Hour later, Cap came over (less Dawg) to make a phone call
(LONG affore Cell phones invented)...
Dad said "WHERE'S :eek: CASEY!??"

Cap sez "Don't sweat it - she's *werkin*!
"Guarding" a boxcar full of TVs & Stereos -
looters were haulin em off by the truckload!"

Dad went back with the Captain - and There She Was...
alternating between a *down* and a *sit* inside the busted up boxcar.
If someone approached - she sat up and *stared* till they backed off;
then went back to *down*!
Cap was a happie campur - he'd "marked" the exposed cartons before
he left Casey in charge - an she hadn't "lost" a one!

She got "paid off" the next week -
Cap showed up at the Shop with a GIANT Dairy Queen Strawberry Sundae!

Dad sez we gotta Long Way to Go to match ole Casey!

;

micki76
07-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Chester will sometimes (getting better). Millie? Uh uh. No way. She barely obeys me. :p

ParNone
07-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Phred, that is a great story. Casey, sounds like she was some kind of special. :)

Par...

sabies
07-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Sadie will listen to anyone, often better than she listens to me. I think it's cause she's so submissive she wants people to like her so she does whatever they say. It's great for when I have someone watch her - they think she's the sweetest dog in the world. And she is as long as you keep the lid on the garbage and watch her outside so she doesn't find anything to roll in.

shais_mom
07-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Keegan acts like a COMPLETELY different dog when My dad is around. She does everything he tells her to do without question or a "BUT" look. When we go to their cottage he can take her on walks without a leash and she listens to everthing he says.
If I go and walk her with the leash, I usually have to let him walk her b/c she pulls me to hard and doesn't walk nicely.

People ask me where Keegan went to Obediance school and I say "MY DAD!"

:rolleyes:

Aspen and Misty
07-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Breeze will work for anyone but from the moment I got her I taught her to. We would go to school and I would leave the room and leave her with my Friend Mary. Then a bunch of kids would ask her to do things and she did them.

Nova - Yes, if you have food. If you don't she will barly work for me :rolleyes:

Connor- No, he won't work for anyone b/c 1. He just got here and 2. If you ask him to do a command he thinks you are telling him he is bad (Hey! He has finally learned that his name is a good thing)

Ash

RobiLee
07-07-2004, 08:08 AM
No they won't. Only for me and Alden and mostly just for me and that seems to be only when they want to! I am working on this though. It is so hard! I swear I have 2 of the most difficult dogs to work with! Especially Miss Katie the Akita. ;)

Robin ;)

Kfamr
07-07-2004, 10:37 AM
It really depends on the person or what command they're being told.

It may take numerous times for others to make them to the more complicated tricks like roll over, balance a treat, or hold things.. but they do their basic commands for everyone.

They do everything for me, sometimes everything for my dad, and only some things for my mom.

wolfie
07-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Daphne works for everyone. Little kids tell her to sit and she'll do it! She even walks nicely on a leash for them (better than for me even!)