PDA

View Full Version : Housebreaking questions

stacwase
07-06-2004, 10:26 AM
We've had the chihuahuas with us for over 2 weeks now. When we first got them, the only place where they wouldn't potty was in the little cat carrier. They would still go in the larger crate and everywhere else.

Now they won't go pottie in their larger crate, or on any of the furniture, or anywhere where we can see them (except outside). We keep them in the crate, outside (not for long) or with us on a leash 100% of the time, and they don't even think about going potty. They haven't been unsupervised indoors.

Tony hasn't had an accident since the first day we brought him home. (and he was the one who was supposed to be the worst!) Chloe had two pee accidents two days ago, but they were witnessed and corrected and she hasn't had one since.

What would you do next? I'm thinking that the next step might be to allow them off leash but in our sight in the room with us, wherever we are. Then when they're good at that we could allow them out of our sight for a few minutes at a time.

Or - should we just start with one room and allow them off leash first while we're there, then while we're out of the room? Like - work up to giving them free reign in the living room to start with.

Or - should I start with Tony off leash but keep Chloe on the leash for a while longer?

What would you do?

Jake was just so darned easy to housebreak. It took about a week and he was reliable. I never had to housetrain Max.

micki76
07-06-2004, 10:39 AM
IMO keep them tethered to you until they're 100% for an extended period of time. Say two weeks or so, to be safe. (I know it's a pain and sounds like a long time, but it's easier than starting over if they regress). Once they've met that goal, I'd go to off tether in a room only, with you watching them. Once again, once 100% reliable at that for a good period of time, add another small area to that, and so on. Chihuahuas can be hard to housebreak, but not all are. We had a chi growing up that was perfect, never had a problem. My Dad had one after I was grown and gone that was never 100% housebroken. :( My Dad's always had dogs, and never had a hard time housebreaking them, but Tammy Faye really was stubborn. :)

Pictures????:)

stacwase
07-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks Micki!

I will take your advice, and also post some more pics of them soon.

I'm fostering them for my mom, until she recovers from a serious illness. I'm worried that when I return them to her (hopefully in November) they will regress because they will remember going potty in her house for so long before I housebroke them. Any ideas?

mruffruff
07-07-2004, 10:20 AM
I would suggest that before you return the chis to your mom's house you make sure the carpets are cleaned thoroughly and all other floors are also cleaned. Simple Solution makes a carpet cleaner that will help remove the old odors. I would probable use a squirt bottle with regular Simple Solution (or similar product) on the baseboards and anywhere I think they might have wet before. It will take a couple of days to dry and really eliminate the old smells, but it will keep the chis from wanting to cover their own old urine.

I have to keep a bottle on hand all the time. Samson likes to water my plants.

Mary

micki76
07-07-2004, 11:15 AM
They won't remember pottying in the house, but they will smell where they used to go. Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle are great! FYI - the carpet cleaner actually doesn't have any enzymes in it to fight odor. The ingredients in at are actually the same as most other carpet cleaners. Fooled me once, but I returned it after I compared it to the bottle of regular cleaner I had at home. The odor & stain remover they sell does work really well, though. You have to SOAK the carpet for it to work. :)

stacwase
07-07-2004, 12:40 PM
I don't think she has any carpet. She does have an area rug, but that can just be replaced. I don't know - maybe there's carpet in one room.

I didn't know the Natures Miracle could be sprayed in houseplant soil! Does it actually get the odor out? Because lots of people's cats have that problem, I think.