PDA

View Full Version : Breed confusion?

micki76
07-05-2004, 10:50 PM
While reading Amy's thread on gender confusion, I read this post by cocker_luva and though this would be an interesting thread, too.

Originally posted by cocker_luva
people always think Jesse is a male, probably cuz of her red collar. also people always mistake her for a poodle. :rolleyes: silly people! :D :D :D

I can't imagine thinking Jesse was a poodle! :p

People usually think Chester is a Jack Russell or a Chihuahua. (He's a Toy Fox Terrier) They always think Millie is a Chihuahua. Now, Millie weighs 21 lbs. That'd be a BIG Chihuahua!:eek: (She's a Jack Russell)

What breeds are your dogs mistaken for?

Shelteez2
07-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Why miniature collies of course! LOL Or just plain collies. I had a woman argue with me ('cause she knew her dog breeds don't you know....) that Emily was a collie.

Since getting Clipse more people think I have border collies. See they are usually smart enough to tell that Em and Clipse are the same kind of dog, so since Clipse is black and white he must be a border collie therefore Em must be too.

And then recently they got called miniature border collies......

My grandpa once got asked if his pug was a pitbull.....now I know his pug is a fatty but.......LMAO

GoldenRetrLuver
07-05-2004, 10:56 PM
YES! LOL.

When Daisy was younger, she was always, ALWAYS asked if she was a Yellow Labrador. She was extremly light in coloring, and had hardly any coat at all.

Here's a picture of her than..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pe47ee84d881df02fc62c8e5fee64eac0/fc51f7fd.jpg

Since than, her color has darkened [obviously] and she grew a longer coat. She does get "Labrador" from time to time, though.

Glacier
07-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Lots of people can't tell the difference between huskies and malamutes.

The one that drives me nuts is..."Is he a wolf?" Like I'd be walking a wolf down mainstreet!!! Silly tourists!:p

micki76
07-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
YES! LOL.

When Daisy was younger, she was always, ALWAYS asked if she was a Yellow Labrador. She was extremly light in coloring, and had hardly any coat at all.

She does get "Labrador" from time to time, though.

Oh, my husband doesn't even understand the difference! I love it when he says Golden Labrador about a Yellow Lab :mad::rolleyes:

He also says Wattreiler and Reimaraner! :rolleyes: Yeah, I know, but he's kind and he loves my dogs!

binka_nugget
07-05-2004, 11:17 PM
We get "Mini Lassie" a lot. Not even Mini Collie, but Mini Lassie! I find that more than half of the time, they stare at me funny once I say "Sheltie". :o

shais_mom
07-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Keegan gets mistaken for an Irish Setter.
And I sheepishly admit that I make the mistake of the "mini Collie" or Lassie Dog also. Altho I don't think I have EVER called them a Mini Lassie!! :eek:
And I have a hard time telling the difference b/n a Jack Russell and a Smooth Fox Terrier.
And some of the Bully breeds, I have a hard time differentiating from.

BCBlondie
07-05-2004, 11:26 PM
"LAASSSIIIIIIIEEEE!!!!!" is what I get when I walk Miksy. :mad: :rolleyes:

A lot of people ask me if Sesh is an Australian Shepherd. O_o I tell them he's a Border Collie.. and then they want to know the difference between the two breeds because they look similar so then I have to explain it to them.. :rolleyes:

I've also been asked if Megan and Monica are Miksy's puppies! :eek: :eek:

Amber
07-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Elvis is always mistaken as a scottish terrier.

molucass
07-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Everyone always asks me if Annie is a chihuahua/dachshund mix, and then I say "No, her mom was a pug, and her dad was a dachshund", and they say "ooh, yeah, i can see that!" or some people say "Are you sure!?"... Lol.. :rolleyes:

Everyone thinks Bailee is a purebred "weiner dog".. I tell them to look at her face and then they can tell she's not full-blooded. :)

I get all kinds of things with Felony.... One couple actually asked me if he was a purebred Lab.. :rolleyes: I said "How many labs have you seen??"
I've also heard beagle (yes, even recently), great dane, curr, and I've even had a few people ask me if he has some basset hound in him... :rolleyes:

No one really guesses anything with Molly... they just ask what she is.. :) We aren't sure ourselves, except that I *think* she has some jack russell and some chihuahua in her.

cocker_luva
07-06-2004, 12:26 AM
i like this thread!!! i am glad that i was of some help! :D :D :D

MariaM
07-06-2004, 12:27 AM
Even in that picture, Daisy looks like a golden to me!

I have fun saying "I think that's a malamute. Look at its curly tail!" Lol most of the time I can tell the difference but not always.

I just *cringe* when people say "Golden Labrador" I'm not sure if they are breed-stupid, or if they are talking about a Golden Retriever, Yellow Labrador Retriever cross.

Most of the time people think Major is a lab. Obviously. I tell them he's a lab cross. (but I don't know what he's crossed with, I'll say, if it looks like they're gonna ask) One person thought he was a Golden Retriever.

primabella
07-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Mickey's not a breed.. he's a Lassie. :rolleyes:

I usually get "he's a mini collie" or he's a "collie" but more than anything, I get the Lassie. The only time people have actually gotten it right are those people at the dog park. *sigh* I belong there! :p

I remember when Mickey was a little puppy, we were walking him to my brother's school and the kids kept asking "Is that a cat?" or "Is that a fox?" LOL. It's cute though cause they're kids. ;)

anna_66
07-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Honestly noone ever thinks my dogs are different breeds than they are. Expecially Huney. It's "oooohhhhh she's a chow":rolleyes: But children often call Roxey Demon (from Snow Dogs:D ).

K9soul
07-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
Keegan gets mistaken for an Irish Setter.

Same with Tommy. Or I get asked if he is full golden. (because of his coloring).

With the collies, Willie my tri-color often got confused with a border collie. When I walked them and my friend walked her sheltie with us, people thought they were the Mom, Dad and Baby :rolleyes:

prechrswife
07-06-2004, 09:52 AM
People think Max and Oscar (basset hounds) are beagles. They have also been called dachshunds.

cali
07-06-2004, 10:22 AM
happy is always a border collie,, er well actually I heard one person say "look its those Super dogs!" when walk happy and misty lol misty however is always a border collie MIX, jee smooth coat, prick ears, she cant possably be a purbred BC lol. EVERYONE see's the schipperkie in Ripley and everyone can see he is mixed with either a Bosten terriercorrect or a french bulldognope lol perky is not mistaken for anything peopl ust ask what breed she is cuz they have no clue. perky is a JRT but most people on the street dont know there is a differnce between a JRT and a PRT so they think a parson is a jack so perky cant possably be a jack lol and she is probaly mixed because she has no prey drive at all. Blair is always a terrier, er no, well actually on a greyhound board someone thought he was a greyhound puppy(he was less hairy at the time lol) nope he is either a terrier or a EWOK you have no idea the amount of people who call him an EWOK lol now shadow even though she is not my dog anymore, when she was a puppy the vet recorded her as a "cocker spanial" uhhhh I see no cocker spanial in that dog lol otherwise its pretty obvious she is a sheltie x border collie. just this weekend out at the lake one lady(not a dog person) looked at shadow and said "border collie.....and what?" and some people see the sheltie and ask what she is mixed with lol I dont think anyone ever see's the BC and the sheltie at the same time :confused:

ParNone
07-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi micki! Great to see you back!

With Oz, I mostly get "Oh, a Shaved Collie". Although I've gotten Greyhound mix several times and a "Baby Deer", when he was a puppy.

So far with Gully, it's Australian Shepherd Mix.

Murph gets Westie quite often, but both he and Maddie were usually thought to be Terrier Mixes. Whenever I'd tell people, "No, they're Cairn Terriers", nobody'd ever know what that was. I'd eventually refer to them as "Lil' Toto dogs" and then the lightbulb would come on. With Oz and Gully, most people have no idea what a Smooth Collie is either, so I've started saying "Lassie with Hair Cut" for them.

Par...

*LabLoverKEB*
07-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I usually get "is she a mix?" because she's so small! No, she's just little! Silly people!:p

Erika
07-06-2004, 12:00 PM
I have actually met people who thought Nikki was a pit bull or a bulldog. Now come on.....is it really that hard to tell that she is a boxer?

GoldenRetrLuver
07-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
I usually get "is she a mix?" because she's so small! No, she's just little! Silly people!:p

Oh, we get that too! Only people will come up to Daisy and say "Is she a purebred Golden Retriever? She's so tiny!"

Here's a picture that Laura took from the AZ Pet Talk Meeting.. as you can see, she a *little* bit past my knees. :p

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dc03b3127cceb8ab6a51edb50000001610

Of course, Molly gets "Lassie" quite often. But, I'm at least glad to know people know she's a Collie. :rolleyes::p

wolfie
07-06-2004, 12:10 PM
People ask what breed Daphne is, and I tell her she's a mutt, and they sometimes tell me "she looks like a boxer" or "she looks like she has some greyhound in her", ect. I don't care, I like when people tell me that!

Even if I had a purebred I wouldn't get mad or upset if people told me my dog looked like a different breed, or a mix. I mean, it's not an insult to be mistaken for a different breed or a mix!

And besides, there are mixes that look like purebreds, and purebreds that look like mixes. Pedigree isn't that important, is it? ^_^

shais_mom
07-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by wolfie
People ask what breed Daphne is, and I tell her she's a mutt, and they sometimes tell me "she looks like a boxer" or "she looks like she has some greyhound in her", ect. I don't care, I like when people tell me that!

Even if I had a purebred I wouldn't get mad or upset if people told me my dog looked like a different breed, or a mix. I mean, it's not an insult to be mistaken for a different breed or a mix!

And besides, there are mixes that look like purebreds, and purebreds that look like mixes. Pedigree isn't that important, is it? ^_^
Actually, I don't think this was a thread about how Pedigree might be. I think it's "just for fun" thread. I don't think anyone here would disagree that we love our dogs for what their soul is, not their breed.

micki76
07-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
Actually, I don't think this was a thread about how Pedigree might be. I think it's "just for fun" thread. I don't think anyone here would disagree that we love our dogs for what their soul is, not their breed.

Also I think everyone's talking about people being ignorant of breeds, not that they're insulted when people assume their dog is a different breed than it actually is. :)

binka_nugget
07-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
With the collies, Willie my tri-color often got confused with a border collie. When I walked them and my friend walked her sheltie with us, people thought they were the Mom, Dad and Baby :rolleyes:

Haha! I get that with Kaedyn and Kai! They often ask if Kai is the dad and Kaedyn is the puppy or if Kai is the dad and Kaedyn is the mom. It's really amusing when I say "No. They're both neutered and both are males." then I get a "So any puppies?" immediately after. Hahaha :rolleyes:

wolf_Q
07-06-2004, 03:54 PM
The majority of time people ask if Nebo is a malamute or malamute puppy. Not many people seem to know what a siberian husky is, they usually look at me funny when I say that so I add "Like a malamute, but smaller."

I have had people actually ask if he was a wolf, coyote, and even a fox. Those who know what siberian huskies are often ask if he's purebred because his colors are not what color people think huskies should be. Not all huskies are gray and white! I also get a LOT (especially from children) of "Oh look it's a Snow Dog!"

Reggie and Sydney often get mistaken for "scottie dogs." I don't exactly get that as scottish terriers are not even close to as common as schnauzers (at least around here) but whatever...

dappledoxie
07-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I just hear weenie dog most of the time. lol

Cincy'sMom
07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Everyone seems to know Spot is a Dal mix and Cincy is a lab mix. With Sadie, alot of people assume she has Dane or Hound inher, but as far as we know she came from a pure lab and a pure dal.

Many people assume all of ours came from the same litter or that Cincy is Sadie's puppy (esp. when she was younger). Now more assume Cincy is the oldest dog, when in fact, of the three shes the baby :)

Twisterdog
07-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Oh, my husband doesn't even understand the difference! I love it when he says Golden Labrador about a Yellow Lab :mad::rolleyes:

He also says Wattreiler and Reimaraner! :rolleyes: Yeah, I know, but he's kind and he loves my dogs!

I would guess that about 90% of my customers call them "golden labs" instead of "yellow labs."

My dad says Rockwelder and German Police Dog. ;)

People always think my dogs are Jack Russell Terriers ... or they just say, "Oh, look! It's Wishbone!" Ummmmm ... no.

Corinna
07-06-2004, 10:42 PM
People ask if Merlin is a cocker or a Brittney? :rolleyes:

heinz57_79
07-06-2004, 11:51 PM
People always ask me if Charlie is chloe's son... Do they LOOK anything alike??? :rolleyes: Being a groomer, I've seen all sorts of "breeds"... one thing that always irritated me was hearing a yellow lab referred to as a Blonde Lab. I Put down "yellow lab" on the info sheet, and the owner goes "NO! He's a BLONDE lab!" Whatever you say! And someone the other day just told me they had a brindle lab, who's mom was a blue lab. I HATE know it alls who think they know everything about everything!

I know this is a wee bit off the subject but it makes me think about the last time I was at the dog park. This woman had an aggressive terrier mix who started THREE fights while I was there. Rules are, 1 fight and you leash your dog and go home. She refused to do it, in fact, spent the whole time on her cell phone. The last fight, she attacked a GSD puppy and ripped his lip. We were up in arms! We told the woman she needed to get the &*^%#! out before we beat the crap out of her. (We were a littled POed :) ) She eventually did, but there was this nosy know-it-all who insisted that the dog wasn't aggressive, but was exhibiting dominance. I told her she was an idiot, and just about everyone agreed with me. She was one of those people who had owned dogs, and so she obviously knew EVERYTHING about them. :rolleyes: Later on that evening, she took a hand to a friend's dog when she and a pit puppy were playing too close to her. All 6 of us almost got up and went over to smack her around a little.

Sorry for the vent... just me going off on a tangent! :D

tikeyas_mom
07-07-2004, 01:40 AM
People always think Tikeya is a wolf, and a male.. UGH

People ALWAYS say that Baby looks like a weimeraner*sp?*.. She doesnt even look like one... Dumb...

guster girl
07-07-2004, 02:07 PM
A lot of people ask if Finn is a golden retriever. He's a yellow lab, just more of the redder yellow. What's really irritating, is when people ask if he's a labrador or a retriever. I'm like, huh? I always answer "he's actually a labrador retriever." So, I said this last night to a friend of mine at a pool party, and, he said "ah, they don't like the water as much as labs, though." I was dumbfounded. Finn just wasn't in the mood to swim alone (there was too much food around, too!), but, I wanted to ask him what the heck he was talking about, but, I let it be. I noticed someone said something about people saying "golden labradors", that drives me crazy!!!

GoldenRetrLuver
07-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by micki76

Oh, I hate that!

When someone says that, I always get confused if they're talking about a Golden/Lab cross, or a Yellow Labrador. Just say "YELLOW", people! :rolleyes::p

Aspen and Misty
07-07-2004, 02:23 PM
No one knows what any of my dog's are Waa ha ha.

Everyone looks at Connor and says "What breed is he?" and I always say, A brown one :p

With Nova, when they ask I always say a Chinook Mix, they are like Oh a Chinook ...LOL, like they know what one is ;) then with Breeze she is always A Lab.

Ash :)

countrycowgirl
07-07-2004, 02:57 PM
well eveyone always says (when looking at little bit) aww what a cute jack russell or look its a fox terrier ..... I just smile and kindly say thank you but he is a Rat Terrier ..... everyone always asks if chewie has lab in her ..... and she doesnt even look like one to me anyways... and everyone can pretty much figure out that roxey has beagle in her;)

bizdevguy
07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
after 9 years of Buddy being a "golden/border collie mix" I learned that he may actually be a nova scotia duck tolling retriever....but that's too tough to say, and I'm used to saying the other...so he's a golden/border collie mix. Although there are onlya few Tollers in Atlanta, so it'd be "sexier" to call him that....

Toller 42
07-15-2004, 04:37 PM
I often get asked if Tango is a belgian tervuren/golden retriever mix! she is actually a Border-collie/Toller mix. Once I even had a woman argue with me that there is no such breed as the Nova scotia duck tolling retriever, and then she kept going on and on about how she knew all dog breeds in the world!!!!!!

Toller 42
07-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Could I please see a picture of buddy!

stacwase
07-15-2004, 04:48 PM
People always thought Jake was a collie. I can understand that, though, because he was so big. He weighed about 45 lbs - a lot for a Sheltie.

pitc9
07-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Everyone knows what Buddy is, but with Sierra, I've had a lot of people ask if she's part wolf.

wolflady
07-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Toller 42
I often get asked if Tango is a belgian tervuren/golden retriever mix! she is actually a Border-collie/Toller mix. Once I even had a woman argue with me that there is no such breed as the Nova scotia duck tolling retriever, and then she kept going on and on about how she knew all dog breeds in the world!!!!!!

LOL LOL I just had to laugh because self-proclaimed know-it-alls like this annoy me! :rolleyes:

A lot of people ask me what Priya is, and I always tell them she's a Heinz 57! I don't even know what she is! :eek: She must have some dachshund in her, because she has that sort of body frame, long and low to the ground, but her face is completely wrong for the dachsie body. She has a very spitz-like foxy face! She's all black with one little white blotch on her chest. She also has a spitz tail. I'm thinking perhaps dachshund/papillon or dachshund/pomeranian....who knows?!! LOL

Fun thread!
**hugs**