PDA

View Full Version : Two Roaming Pit Bulls Wander Into Shelter And Kill 13 Cats

QueenScoopalot
07-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Dogs kill 13 cats in animal shelter
Saturday, July 3, 2004 Posted: 7:29 AM EDT (1129 GMT)

WILMINGTON, North Carolina (AP) -- Two pit bulls that may have wandered inside a shelter for sick animals killed 13 cats, authorities said.

Lee Esada, whose wife, Heather, manages the Southport-Oak Island Animal Rescue, found the dead cats early Friday and then found the dogs sleeping in a cage in the back of the shelter.

"I was so shaken up I could barely pick up the phone to call somebody," Esada said. "I've never been through anything like this before."

Richard Cooper, director of Brunswick County Animal Services, said there is no evidence of foul play. The dogs could have pushed through a hole in the chain-link fence surrounding the shelter and come inside the building through the cat door. The shelter housed about 75 sick cats.

The dogs, one weighing 60 pounds and the other 40 pounds, were in custody of animal services Friday night.

The owner of the dogs was cited for creating a public nuisance and allowing the dogs to run at-large. Authorities declined to release his name.

The Brunswick County Sheriff's Department planned to investigate further.

joanofark
07-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I would be shaken too! Do you know if the dogs had owners? Did they have collers? We had wild dogs around our neighborhood. They come in a group. I'm pretty sure the leader was a pit bull. I'm not sure if the killed any cats or not but I know the tryed biting a couple kids. :eek: My dad said that once the leader is gone the rest won't come around. We haven't seen them for a while! Chances are the are in a pound somewhere or sadly someone shot the leader.:eek: :( :eek: :rolleyes:

G.P.girl
07-05-2004, 11:42 PM
cited for creating a public nuisance
just a wee little nuisance:rolleyes: RIP poor little kitties

jazzcat
07-06-2004, 02:05 AM
I read about this earlier. So sad.:(

Kfamr
07-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Those poor cats and those poor dogs. :( I hate when they have to specifically say "pit bull" in articals. The cats were described as "cats" why can't they describe the dogs as dogs? It only makes the breed look worse to the ignorant idiotic people. :(

Logan
07-06-2004, 07:43 AM
My friend, Betty, is very close to this situation, and had emailed me about it over the weekend. They feel that those dogs were put into the cattery on purpose by some evil person(s). Isn't it horrible?? :(

luckies4me
07-06-2004, 10:56 AM
OMG that would be horrible if someone had done that on purpose!!! :(