PDA

View Full Version : Am I Being Conned????

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a problem with Eddie. He spills his kibbles all over (100% boy!)....this time of year that means......little black ants!!!!

so... I was told to put mint leaves around and the ants will go away. Every night I sweep up around the cat dishes and "garnish" their mat with sprigs of mint I harvest from the garden.

Tonight I realized that I feel very foolish garnishing the cats' food with sprigs of mint (although it does seem to make the ants go away!)

Have I been conned or does this work????

Cinder & Smoke
07-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

Tonight I realized that I feel very foolish
garnishing the cats' food with sprigs of mint
(although it does seem to make the ants go away!)

Have I been conned or does this work????

One seems to be "answering" one's Own Question!
:p :rolleyes:

Another *thought* ~

Would Eddie tolerate his Krunchie Bowl
being placed INSIDE either a litter tray or
possibly a Cookie Sheet??

Either device might minimize the area he "scatters" his Krunchies -
AND throw off the lil black Raiders

Freckles
07-05-2004, 09:09 PM
I put a few drops of lavender essential oil on balls of cotton. Haven't had more ants in several weeks.:)

kimlovescats
07-05-2004, 10:36 PM
I don't know ... I just bought my second box (diff brand) of Ant hotels!!!:rolleyes: I feel your frustration with the tiny nuisances!!!:mad:

NoahsMommy
07-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Repels ants AND its pretty??? I'm all for it! ;)

lizzielou742
07-06-2004, 08:28 AM
I feel your pain ES!!! In my last apartment and in my new apartment, I have had that problem. In both cases, I just moved the cat's bowl away for a day, kept kitties in another room for a few hours, and then sprayed the heck out of the area with bug spray. It's worked so far, but if I see any more, I will try mint and lavendar oil. They're certainly safer for the kitties than Raid!!!

catmandu
07-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Maybe Edddie,does not realizethat you dont want Ants,and heis trying to be kind,to all of Gods Creatures,as you were to him, when he needed a Home!

CatMama78
07-06-2004, 08:51 AM
If it works, it works!! We also have problem with little bitty brown ants around the food bowl. I bought some ant traps and set them behind the washer (so the boys could not get to them). I also put their food and water up on the breakfast table (I'm teaching them great things, huh?). The ants have stayed away, but I put their food back on the ground yesterday and by the end of the day they were back. The guys may just have to keep eating on the table, lol. Hmm I may try lizzielou's suggestion and make them stay in a separate room for a few hours while I spray. I'm so worried about accidental poisioning.

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-06-2004, 09:35 AM
I have Kona's bowl set inside a glass pie pan full of water--an ant moat. It keeps the ants away from the food, but a kibble dropped into the moat swells up and turns quite gross!

catcrazylady
07-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Kona & Oreo's mom
I have Kona's bowl set inside a glass pie pan full of water--an ant moat. It keeps the ants away from the food, but a kibble dropped into the moat swells up and turns quite gross!

I'm sorry and I don't mean to laugh but ROFLOL!!! "AN ANT MOAT"!! That cracked me up!! It sounds like a wonderful idea to me!:D :D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Thank goodness we are only having a problem with the great big black carpenter ants. I hate them but they are so big the kitties chase them down and eliminate them quickly!!

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
I'm sorry and I don't mean to laugh but ROFLOL!!! "AN ANT MOAT"!! That cracked me up!! It sounds like a wonderful idea to me!

I can't take credit for the term (I think it's Richard's creation). :D But the technique has been in my family for years . . . :)

moosmom
07-06-2004, 11:29 AM
My cats are complete slobs when it comes to eating. What they really need are feedbags attached to their faces. :rolleyes:

I've tried the "ant moat" and it does work, but like Kona & Oreo's mom said, it's gross and can smell. I had ants where I lived in CT. They drove me crazy. First I tried the little canned ant traps. The cats turned them into their toys, so out they went. What finally worked was the a device that you plug into a wall socket We sell them at BB&B. They're totally silent and will rid your house of ants, mice, rats, etc. They are safe for all pets EXCEPT anyone who has ratties, gerbils, mice or any kind of rodent as pets.

Darn! I wish I had a picture of it so you'd see what it looks like.

They worked so well, I gave them to my best friend to use because she had a mouse problem in her condo.

ramanth
07-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Thankfully, my cats are pigs. LOL!

I've caught Logan pushing his food bowl around to make sure he didn't miss any crunchies that may have fallen behind or underneath the bowl.

:eek: :rolleyes: :D

RICHARD
07-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Have you thought about chives or parlsey as a garnish?
I learned that from the TV food network!

K&O

Thanks.

I always knew I'd be remembered for something....;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by CatMama78
If it works, it works!!

Tubby is a pig too and there is always food that "made it out alive" rather than into his belly. :rolleyes: But amazingly that's not where we have the ant problem in our house. I've tried everything, and they just keep coming back, so off to the back yard to harvest some mint when I get home this evening. ;)

DJFyrewolf36
07-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Once, at my parents house there was an ant explosion! Dad sprayed a nest of them outside one morning and we left for work and school. By the time I got home from school *a good hour before my parents got home* the ants had gotten into the house and literally COVERED the whole kitchen floor!!!

I called them from the neighbors house lol.

"Dad, our house is being carried away by an army of ants!"

The dogs were standing outside, heads in the dog door, afraid to come in! They covered the food bowl and some had tried to swim in the water dish. It was SOO gross! I was glad when dad got home and set a bug bomb off in the house...was kind of a pain trying to convince moms birds that taking a little road trip was a good thing. Never try to cram a Cockatoo, two Tiels, a doberman and a springer spanel into a Jeep with three hoomans. Not a good idea...

I hate those little black ants :p

Vio&Juni
07-09-2004, 04:10 PM
ES, he's taking Martha Stewart's place :) Maybe he's up for a new tv show?