PDA

View Full Version : Gender confusion

wolf_Q
07-05-2004, 07:14 PM
When you are walking your dog and people come up to you what gender do they assume your dog is?

99% of the time people thing Nebo is a girl. I really don't think he looks all that feminine, but apparently he does. Maybe it's the color?

Reggie is always male, he's never mistaken for a female.

Smokey was always female. All poodles are female, right? :rolleyes:

Sydney is almost always assumed to be a male. I'm not sure if it's the color, the name, or both... I'm not sure if the name Sydney is supposed to be a male or female name?

Lady (friend's dog) is always thought to be a male. Even when Melissa says her name is LADY people still say "he."

RobiLee
07-05-2004, 07:31 PM
People always say "he" with us, for both dogs. They always said "he" with our RB Chloe also.

It seems like even if you correct them and tell them their names they still say "he"...lol...I don't know why.

Robin :)

CountryWolf07
07-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Yup..

Most people think Rosie is a HE..

but for Anna.. she's always assumed as a she.

cali
07-05-2004, 07:57 PM
happy is often called HE, for the most part because of her name, but no border collie person has EVER mistaken her to be male lol Misty is just called a gorgous dog period lol but assumed to be female if someone talks to me about her. Blair I dont know reactions to him and RL and on the internet are completly differnt, many people in RL think Blair is just plain out ugly, while on the net he is refered to as "what has to be the absolute most cutest dog in the world" lol so noone really comments on him much, I think we have had one comment from a stranger, and that was a retired vet insisting that Blair was way to thin for a dog that old(he was 4 months) so I dont really know what people in RL think he is, but in the net everyone calls him a girl I usually find myself correcting people saying he is a boy very regularly. perky everyone knows is a girl lol he is far to dainty to be confused for a male lol Ripley is a boy, no one have ever called him a girl as far as I know...

Aspen and Misty
07-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Grr, yes. Breeze is ALWAYS called a HE because she is black! I even bought her a REALLY Pink coller :rolleyes: Nova, nope, always a girl, and Connor is such a manly dog that he is always a boy. But Teddy, my mom's dog is of course a girl, so fluffy, lol, but he doesn't not apreciate anyone thinking he is a women :o

Ash

chocolatepuppy
07-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I have that problem with Lacey, everyone thinks she is a boy:( I also bought a pink collar last year for her birthday.This year I have her a berry colored one for her birthday later this month. The real insult came when my brother was up last year from the south and saw her pee and started laughing and says why is your dog peeing like a girl? That's when she got the pink collar.

dukedogsmom
07-05-2004, 09:10 PM
That's alright. Duke's confused as to whom he's supposed to love. Chases Simba around all the time :p

MariaM
07-05-2004, 09:12 PM
That's alright. Duke's confused as to whom he's supposed to love. Chases Simba around all the time :P
LMAO!!!

QueenChyna's one dog, Valentine, is...gay!:eek:

People usually ask if Major is a boy of girl.

micki76
07-05-2004, 09:29 PM
People always think Chester is a girl and Millie is a boy.

And Millie wears this::eek:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid125/p062c3068bf6f37cff8659c228c787b4b/f7fa1c8b.jpg

It says "It's Not Easy Being A Princess" :D

Glacier
07-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

99% of the time people thing Nebo is a girl. I really don't think he looks all that feminine, but apparently he does. Maybe it's the color?

Muskwa is the same color as Nebo and the same thing happens to him all the time. Everyone thinks he's a pretty girl!

aly
07-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Everyone thinks Reece is a girl and Lolly is a boy. Ahh well!

aly
07-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by micki76
People always think Chester is a girl and Millie is a boy.

And Millie wears this::eek:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid125/p062c3068bf6f37cff8659c228c787b4b/f7fa1c8b.jpg

It says "It's Not Easy Being A Princess" :D

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT???????? I need one for Lolly!!!

cocker_luva
07-05-2004, 10:21 PM
people always think Jesse is a male, probably cuz of her red collar. also people always mistake her for a poodle. :rolleyes: silly people! :D :D :D

micki76
07-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by aly
WHERE DID YOU GET THAT???????? I need one for Lolly!!!

Isn't it too cute? I got it at the Big Dogs store,we have an outlet about 15 miles from here. If they still have them, I'll get you one this weekend and send it to you. What size would Miss Lolly wear?

GoldenRetrLuver
07-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Daisy is almost always mistaken for a male. You'd think with a name like "Daisy" people would know she's female! :rolleyes:

Molly is always called a female. Probably because of her fluffy, long coat. :p

jenfer
07-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Gigi is a "little guy". ;)

My Peanuts
07-06-2004, 12:17 AM
My mom's friend always calls Sylvia "he" and Harley "her" even though she knows it's the other way around :D :rolleyes:

FizzGiggs_Mommy
07-06-2004, 07:16 AM
People A-L-W-A-Y-S calles FizzGigg a "poodle" but never a girl:D

Kfamr
07-06-2004, 07:21 AM
Simba is a girl and Simba & Nala are littermates. :rolleyes:

Alot of my "older" relatives call my dogs girls because they either have female dogs or had females.

Marie410
07-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Everyone always thinks poor Sampson is a girl, mostly cuz his head is on the small side for a Rottweiler. People have told us his head is so small because we got him neutered too young (6 months). :rolleyes: I think that's just the way he is. He's still skinny, about 90 lbs, like an adolescent dog rather than a full grown rottie. Actually, at 3 years old he still looks like a puppy! :D Isn't it funny how people just assume based on looks? His name is Sampson for gosh sake, and you can SEE he's a boy! :eek:

primabella
07-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Mickey is a girl, I guess because of his coloring. And if you'd see him pee (doesn't lift his leg) , you'd think I'd be lying to call him a male. :p

Even when people ask me about him and they'll say "she" and I'll say "yes HE is.." and they'll continue to say she. :p

anna_66
07-06-2004, 08:36 AM
We really never seem to have that problem. People always assume both the girls are girls and that Angus is a boy (but I guess that's not hard to see:p ).

K9soul
07-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Most the time people get it right with my two. Sometimes people will ask with Tommy, but he's a big boy and I think he looks pretty "male."

However, with my RB collie boys, people were always calling them "she," especially Cody, who had the sable "lassie" coloring. I remember one lady after I told her Cody was a male, she exclaimed "But she's too PRETTY to be a he!"

People have told us his head is so small because we got him neutered too young (6 months).

I had to LOL at that. That's one I hadn't heard before :D

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Most strangers wrongly assume Oreo is a boy. She used to have a red collar, but I switched it to bright purple and that seems to help a little. I think many non-dog people just think a big, black dog must be a boy.

prechrswife
07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
When people see our two basset hounds together, we get the "are you going to let them have puppies?" question a lot. My usual reply is, "That would be kind of difficult since they are both males and they're both neutered.":rolleyes:

molucass
07-06-2004, 09:52 AM
People always say ask me with Felony "Ohhh, what breed of dog is she?" :rolleyes: I don't think Felony looks girly at all...
And they even ask me before I tell them his name. (since some people think his name is girly.)
Felony still has all his male parts intact, you think they would be able to tell that he is indeed not a girl. :p

Most people get it right with Bailee being a girl, but everyone says Annie is a boy. This one person even said something about her being a he after I said "That one is the little ones mom."

I've even had someone ask me if I was going to breed Bailee to Annie when they "grow up".

stacwase
07-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Everybody always things Jake is a girl. I don't think anybody has ever thought he was a boy! It's because he's sooooo purty.

Max has never been confused as a female! Wonder why?

jazzcat
07-06-2004, 11:04 AM
I have that problem with Disney. Most people think she is a he.

I have that problem with my cats too but I guess it's because I don't give them very gender obvious names. Everybody thinks Scout and Jazz are males but they are both females.

ParNone
07-06-2004, 11:20 AM
All 4 of mine are thought to be "Girls". I guess Oz and Gully look dainty and Murph looks a lil' poofy. Well least they got 1 out of 4 right. :)

Erika
07-06-2004, 11:50 AM
People always assume Nikki is a boy. Boxers are always male? Even though she has a purple collar, and teets. ;) Hmmmm I guess those "fighting" dogs are too "tough" to be female? Also, people always call Marley a boy. She kind of looks like a boy kitten, in a way, but maybe thats because I've only ever had male cats.

wolfie
07-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Daphne is called a boy a lot. I think that maybe it's because she's kinda tom-boy ish. *shrugs*

catnapper
07-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Yessirie! Almost everyone thinks Nicki is a boy! Then they still refer to her as a him even after I've corrected them. She's as girly as a dog can get. I guess because she's so stocky?

And then I have to call her Nick more often than not! LOL So maybe SHE's got some gender confuson going on!

Amber
07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Elvis is always said as a "he" I guess it's his little man attitude

But Katie is a 50/50 chance. Sometimes they will call her a "her" But sometimes she is mistaken a He. Maybe it's the brown leather collar she wears?

Blustang24
07-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Honey is almost always considered a girl. I guess it help that she wears a pink collar and has only worn a pink collar, but again, you never know. BUT, the one exception, and the reason I said almost always, is someone in Findlay when we were there in May said "oh he's so handsome." I can't remember who it was...lol. KayAnn looked at me weird. lol

Toller 42
07-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Whenever people see my Rotti they always go on about what a handsome boy he is, but she is female! i guess people just assume that all Rotti's are males.

BCBlondie
07-15-2004, 06:01 PM
I've been asked if Miksy is the mom of Megan and Monica! :eek:

People think Sesh and Miksy are girls, and that Megan is a boy.. :rolleyes: