PDA

View Full Version : Butter's Thanksgiving Adventure

Logan
11-19-2001, 12:01 PM
This may end up being a little long :o . Sorry!

But yesterday (Sunday), I decided that Helen should have a real Thanksgiving dinner before she headed off to Disney World with her dad, for the week. I just couldn't picture her gnawing on a Turkey Leg in the Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving Day, without having all the good stuff. So, I cooked and I cooked. We decided on a late afternoon meal, and one of my friends joined us. I was so organized for a change and everything was going beautifully. The house was clean (most of it anyway), and the food was prepared.

I lit candles all over the kitchen, where we were going to eat, and I set the bundt pan full of rising yeast rolls (I was making Monkey Bread) on the counter, by the candle, so the rolls could rise, and covered it with a cloth. Keep in mind, I have a HUGE kitchen, 250 sq ft, and lots of counters. The cats eat at a far end of the long L shaped counter.

Butter ate his afternoon snack, but what I didn't see was that he left his spot and started wandering down towards the bread and the candle. With my back turned, I heard this sizzling noise, and realized it was burning hair.....that boy had stuck his nosy nose in the candle and burnt off some of his whiskers!! :eek: It scared him so badly that he backed up and put his foot right down in the middle of the pan of rolls, completely deflating them on that side. :rolleyes: Just in case you're wondering, the rolls survived, thank goodness for the cloth over the top of that pan!!

Poor baby Butter. He isn't scared of much, but I'll bet you that he NEVER goes near a burning candle again. Maybe you had to be there, but now my boy has lopsided whiskers. I counted 6 that were burned down to their base, but otherwise, he's fine.

I remembered someone recently posting about their cat's tail catching on fire. :eek: Well, Butter was trying to follow along in his/her footsteps yesterday!!!

By the way, for only my second Thanksgiving meal, things went great otherwise!!!

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

wolflady
11-19-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Spencer-The-Lion:
<STRONG>Yep, Butter is a flame-point Siamese! :D</STRONG>

LOL LOL

Yikes! That certainly made for some excitement for sure!! I'm glad everything went ok otherwise, and that Butter wasn't hurt...minus a few whiskers!! I'm sure he'll stay clear away from candles from now on!!! :eek:

thelmalu99
11-19-2001, 01:09 PM
http://bbs2.fanforum.com/images/smilies/LOL.gif

Poor Butter! I don't mean to laugh, but that really was a funny story! The "sizzling noise" part cracked me up!
Poor baby, I hope his whiskers grow back soon!

zippy-kat
11-19-2001, 01:17 PM
Aww...poor Wonder Butter!

When my Tommy was still with me, I remember that he use to get REALLY close to the fireplace. So close that it singed his whiskers and fur...not a very nice smell.

Edwina's Secretary
11-19-2001, 02:10 PM
Oh the puns that are running through my mind...Butterball turkey, renaming the monkey bread (cat's paw?), Buttering the buns, Cat's in the Candle...goodness. Perhaps this could be a Thanksgiving Day party activity???

catwoman
11-19-2001, 02:26 PM
Logan,

Sorry to hear about poor Butter's whiskers!

That may have been me who posted about the singed tail. Thelma did that at Christmas time last year. I was right there to grab her tail (and the flame had gone out even before my hand closed around her tail) ... but it was still a heart-stopping experience for us both!

Was you candle an oil burning one? I find that my girls stay away from scented candles, but get to close to the oil ones.

Hugs for Butter,
Dianne

yorkster
11-19-2001, 03:37 PM
Hi Logan- I posted about my cat catching his tail on fire when we had guests over for dinner- the post might still be in 'cats general'. We don't burn candles anymore unless they are up high on the hearth OR the kitties are in their own room.

It was scary when it happened, but what was so funny was that Kedi did not even know his tail was on fire. I was sitting right there and reached down and grabbed his tail, putting it out. He turned around and gave me a dirty look, like "what are you doing with my tail??!" then walked off all mad at me.

I should mention too that this is my cat that looks like your Butter, only with a little longer hair.

tatsxxx11
11-19-2001, 04:47 PM
Oh Logan! Glad about the dinner. But, BUTTER!!! Just what the future psychological ramifications will be from this event, on that precariously wired little brain of his, can only be imagined! ;) Poor ButterBall! My Lizzie (Rainbow Bridge) used to jump up on the counter and LOVED to sleep on top of the stove. I have always had and prefer gas stoves. This house had electric, it was new, and so it remained. Well, unlike gas stoves, living things, like cats, can't tell if it's on without a flame. One day, she jumped up and stepped right on the burner that was on low. Oh, the pain she must have felt. Fur and little paw pad burned! :( She never did that again! I hope little Butter's whiskas grow back fuller than ever :) Thank goodness his face wasn't burned! I can just picture Helen's face! :eek:

Pam
11-19-2001, 04:55 PM
Wow Logan! I'm so sorry to hear about your Butter boy. My cats have never had the desire to see a candle up close but I think if there were rolls close by that's another story! I hope he has learned a lesson from this because I sure wouldn't want him to ever forget and repeat that! :eek: Maybe you can tell me if this is true or an Old Wives Tale. Someone once told me that if a cat's whiskers are cut (or burned :eek: ) they can't walk properly (messes up their equilibrium). Sounds a little weird to me and, of course, I would never cut mine just to find out! :D

Logan
11-19-2001, 06:10 PM
LOL! First of all, I must congratulate Chuck on endorsing Butter as a true "flame point". :D :D
And Pam, Butter is no worse for the flames, I promise. No wobbly walk, etc. He is fine. Of course, he didn't lose all of his whiskers, so I don't know what would happen then.
But, poor baby. It literally scared him to death. And "poof" went the rising rolls! :eek: That must have been some good yeast in those rolls because they came right back!

Sandra, that electric stove incident was scarey, I'm sure! I have always had electric stoves, although I still want to cook on gas. When Helen was a little girl, probably 2 1/2 or so, she put her hand up on an eye that I had just turned off.........put blisters all over that precious hand and I cried more than she did. Thank goodness for A&D ointment. It saved the day for us.

Thanks everyone, for your concern about Wonder Butter (as Zippy would say). He's fine. In fact, I ended up worrying more about the rolls than Butter. Right now, he's sleeping soundly on the sofa, where I have been sitting. No problems with that boy, I promise! :D

A sleeping Butter is a good Butter! :D

wayne0214
11-19-2001, 09:10 PM
The first picture of the blue-eyed flame-point Siamese looks exactly like my Snow Cat, except he has less flame orange on his face. At any rate, your original post was interesting, in that about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I took in a little lilac-point Siamese kitten. He was wrapped in a shirt being offered by a teen-age girl -in a restaurant, no less. (The owner didn't see her because it is illegal to bring a cat into a restaurant!) When I saw his silvery- white coloring and his lilac-point ears, and that she was attempting to find a good home for him, I immediately took him in. After getting him home, I noticed that his whiskers had been singed off. This gave me reason to wonder if he had been abused, or whether he burnt them off himself. But after wathcing him grow and observing his personality, I will assume that he did it himself! I was unaware that some cats do not have a natural fear of a small fire.

........wayne :)

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]

NoahsMommy
11-20-2001, 02:50 PM
Poor baby Butter!! I hope those whiskers grow back soon!!

Butter and his cousins are so very beautiful!!! I want one of those....we'll have to add that to my list for Santa! :)

Logan
11-20-2001, 05:43 PM
Butter is available, Noah's Mommy..... NOT!!!! :rolleyes: I am just teasing, although sometimes I am very tempted!!! LOL!! Slowly but surely, he is coming around. Even took a nap on Helen's and my legs Saturday night! We were sharing a blanket, and he just laid right down on us! We were scared to move an inch!! :D

tuxluvr
11-20-2001, 07:11 PM
Maybe Butter heard someone say

"Butter the rolls" and she heard

"Butter, the rolls!"

Logan
11-20-2001, 09:00 PM
Tuxluvr....LOL!!! :D :D :D :D

PS. I don't think Ernie is really available either......is he Chuck??? :eek:

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

thelmalu99
11-21-2001, 01:04 PM
Aw, I'm so glad to hear that Ernie has been a good boy and is getting along well with the others. He's such a handsome baby!

I think I might get one of those Drinkwell fountains for my boys for Christmas. I think they'd love it!

catwoman
11-21-2001, 01:26 PM
LOL, tuxluvr! :D :D

NoahsMommy
11-21-2001, 02:31 PM
Ernie IS a cutie!! We need a bigger apartment/house before I start my animal wish list...darn! :)

I have heard of those water fountains...where did you get yours Churck?