PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Texans!

sirrahbed
07-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Ok Texans. Hubby is a history teacher and thinks he knows everything :rolleyes: I was born in Texas and know good and well that I come from the SOUTH. He is from South Carolina and he says HE is from the south and I am from the west. Well, good grief - look at any map and it is clear that most of Texas is further south than Carolina:eek:
So, Texans, are we not southerners???

PS He dos not agree on who won the Civil War either, but that is another story:rolleyes: HE did not go to school in Texas and was obviously taught incorrectly.

guster girl
07-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Hmmm. That's actually a question I've asked. I'm from South Carolina, and, I definitely consider myself a southerner. But, I've always thought that Texans were, too. But, honestly, when you ask around here, it's not that Texans are Southerners or Westerners, they're Texans. I want to say I've actually heard that geographically speaking, it's not considered the south. I don't know, though, you could probably find something online....I'll look it up, too. :) But, thinking about it, there are parts of California that are pretty far down there, and, I know they're not considered southerners, so, I don't think it matters how far south the state actually goes....but, i don't know. hmmmm.....i'm interested to see what responses you get. :)

Ok, so, i just did a little looking up online, and, am finding out that texas is considered a southern state. :)

catnapper
07-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Ok, this reply is word for word from Mr. Catnapper, aka, another know-it-all history teacher! :D

He says: South Carolina is the true heart of the south. Texas is a country all its own. Its not South, not west, not Mexican, its Texas. (Hubby's mom was a Texan. That was her theory! :D )

Hubby says: All jokes aside, Texas is considered part of the midwest according to hubby's 6th grade Geography book. He'll look it up to be certain. He does think some geography books will list it as southern state, depending on whether you do 4 or 3 regions.

Gotta love thsoe history teacher that think they know everything! :D ;)

popcornbird
07-03-2004, 07:52 PM
South Carolina is a Southern state. Texas is, well.........what we call, *Cowboy State*, or just plain old Texas. ;);)

If Texas is considered Southern, then New Mexico, Arizona, and California should be *Southern* too.........but they're NOT! :p

Tiah
07-03-2004, 08:00 PM
I don't understand how Texas ISN'T a Southern state, I say, it is most down there than any state. And Texas IS a Southern state....but California is a western sate, I don't see at all how California would ever be considerd southern. :confused:

micki76
07-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Texas is a country all its own. Its not South, not west, not Mexican, its Texas.

This is actually correct. :)

zippy-kat
07-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Lol Micki - hafta agree.

Living 10 minutes away from the TX border (and also the time zone change), we often ask if the time is "Texan or American." (ie New Mexico = American, Texan = Texan! lol)

What's the travel commericial say? "TEXAS! It's a whole 'nuther country!"

PS I consider TX being part of the southwest rather than the south.

Karen
07-03-2004, 09:02 PM
I believe you have to be East of the Mississippi to be considered "Southern," and Texas is considered part of the Southwest. It's funny, because Midwest seems by some estimations to span the height of the country until it hits Texas, but maybe it depends on what part of Texas you are in. Whereas in the East, from top to bottom, it's Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Southern, no one calls Florida the Southeast, though technically it is.

Why is it not, for example "North Atlantic," Mid-Atlantic," and "South Atlantic"?

Or NorthEast, East and Southeast?

Or North, South and Mid?

Of course, some people still divide No'th from South by where the Mason-Dixon line is ...

Heck with it all - you want logic? Try some other science!

guster girl
07-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Here's one site that lists it as a southern state. i don't think being considered southern has much to do with how far south you're located. but, here's a link.

http://www.cooldinos.com/usa/label/south/southstates.shtml

and, here's the same site with a different link showing all the different regions....

http://www.cooldinos.com/usa/statesbw/regions.shtml

aly
07-03-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm Texan! And I do consider us Southerners for the most part. I never felt like a mid-Westerner, but thats just me.

And we are not cowboy state!! :p :p

popcornbird
07-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by micki76
This is actually correct. :)

OMG!!! Look who just posted!!! :p

Aly.....you ARE a cowboy state. ;););) He he he

jazzcat
07-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Here in TN we don't consider TX to be part of the South.

It's kind of an entity all it's own, LOL!!

micki76
07-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
OMG!!! Look who just posted!!! :p

Aly.....you ARE a cowboy state. ;););) He he he

LMAO!! :p :p :p :p :p :p

We're NOT a cowboy state PCB!!! Oh wait, I forget you've been here! :D There are parts that are very rural, but there are probably just as many cowboys in Montana or Wyoming. :)

popcornbird
07-04-2004, 12:10 AM
LMAO!! :p :p :p :p :p :p

We're NOT a cowboy state PCB!!! Oh wait, I forget you've been here! :D There are parts that are very rural, but there are probably just as many cowboys in Montana or Wyoming. :)

Yippee! You're back! :D I wonder if the fireworks going on outside are for the 4th of July, or to celebrate Micki's return. ;)

WELL........there may be as many cowboys in Montana or Wyoming, but we still consider Texas the *cowboy state*, my dear cowgirl. ;);) He he he...

micki76
07-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Yippee! You're back! :D I wonder if the fireworks going on outside are for the 4th of July, or to celebrate Micki's return. ;)

WELL........there may be as many cowboys in Montana or Wyoming, but we still consider Texas the *cowboy state*, my dear cowgirl. ;);) He he he...

Oh, I know you didn't just call me a COWGIRL!:eek: :eek: Please, anything but that!!!

Offically, we're the "Friendship" state. ;)

popcornbird
07-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Oh, I know you didn't just call me a COWGIRL!:eek: :eek: Please, anything but that!!!

Offically, we're the "Friendship" state. ;)

LOL!!! :D Actually, I *did* just call you a cowgirl, but I was only kidding. You know that. ;)

Lillycat
07-04-2004, 02:40 AM
i think texas is southwest......not southern......like that idea has to be east of the mississippi to be southern

CountryWolf07
07-04-2004, 02:43 AM
Hmmmm.. question..

Is Missouri a SOUTHERN state.. or what? I'm originally from there..

My friend was saying that I'd be a Southern.. because Missouri is considered as South, because of the whole civil-war thing...