PDA

View Full Version : Worried new mommy...

Merry
07-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Just got a rat today, well she's not techinally mine she's my brothers but I love her anyways:D

I'm a little concerned though because since she got home she's been a little sneezy... maybe just the new bedding?... and she's been making a squeaky noise alot, kind of like a quiet guinea-pig sound... I don't think it's her breathing because she doesn't do it all the time.... maybe I'm worrying too much:rolleyes:

Other than that she's perfectly healthy and very active.:D She was climbing upside down on her cage top today:eek:

Any advice on her care would be appreciated:) She's a baby, I don't know how old, but she's a little smaller than a grown gerbil.

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/squirrelperson/003-awwwww_mariel.jpg

ChrisH
07-03-2004, 10:59 AM
She is pretty. :)

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about rats. There are quite a few on Pet Talk who own rats though so I'm sure you will get some good advice soon. :)

Chris

mrm
07-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Your rat may be "sneezy" because he may have a common desease known as mycoplasmosis. If this is the case it needs immediate treatment with antibiotics. You should take him to the vet to be sure. Als, it could be because of his bedding. Are you using cedar or pine? Both are bad for your rat. The kind I use is Carefresh bedding made from recycled paper. And as for the squeaking, you should leave hm alone in his cage for couple days so he getsused to the surrounding, then train him to come to you by putting some peanuts in your hand and allowing him to take the food.

Als, he should be out of his cage to roam around at least one hour a day. Ihave cover to my couch and thats where I let mine go. (Wait till he is used to people to do this though.)

There are thousands of pet rat websites with more info.