PDA

View Full Version : I have to give my cats away or...

animal_rescue
07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
give them a bath once a week!
My niece is a allergic to cats we found out
and that's the choice the doc gave us...
give them away or give them a bath weekly!
So we decided to give them a bath weekly!
Well last night I decided to do Poppy, my poor baby.
He was so upset about it and it was so hard to do!
Anyways I need to know where I can get products for
baths..well what I really need is one of those bathing cages
where you put the cat in and you can wash them in there...does
anyone know where I can get one?

lizzielou742
07-02-2004, 12:10 PM
I have never heard of a bathing cage, but I am sure someone on here has. In the meantime I wanted to commend you for deciding to keep your cats, even if it does mean more work for you. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Uabassoon
07-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I've heard of those cages, I think you can get them at Petsmart. Have you tried kitty bathwipes? I use them on my cats because of my allergies and they seem to work pretty well and it's much easier then having to bathe a cat.

Craftlady
07-02-2004, 12:54 PM
PetSmart carries waterless shampoos and wipes. They are located in their cat grooming section.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-02-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure about the cages, but I do know that if you continue giving him baths, he should get used to it. Just try and be very supportive and loving while you're doing it. I've known people that almost lost their arms giving their cats baths, but over time they got used to it and now just tolerate it.

Good luck!

MULTICATMOM
07-02-2004, 01:52 PM
MY KITTENS GREW UP GETTING SHOWERS W/ ME. YOU KNOW DISH SOAP HELPS & KILLS FLEAS. THE ONES I GOT OLDER HAD THEIR BATHS IN THE KITCHEN SINK. PUT IN A THICK CLOTH THEY CAN CLAW...AS OPPOSED TO YOU! THEN JUST HOLD THEM BY THE SCRUFF OF THE NECK, BEING CAREFUL OF THE EYES & EARS. THEY'LL LOOK FUNNY! I HAND DRY, I THINK DRYERS JUST CAUSE MORE TRAUMA. GIVE THEM KITTY TREATS RELATED TO THE ACTUAL BATHING...TRUST ME, SOON, THEY'LL DO IT NICLEY!
HOPE THIS HELPS ;)

kimlovescats
07-02-2004, 04:33 PM
So glad you chose bathing over giving away!!!;)
I agree with MCM .... bathing can be done in the sink ... it just takes time! There are alot of products on the market as well. GOOD LUCK, and thanks for making the effort!!!:D

animal_rescue
07-02-2004, 05:01 PM
thanks!:)

I'm thinking about getting this but I don't know it seems kind of mean....http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3109&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=27&iSubSubCat=28&iProductID=3109 :(
hmm I dunno....

guster girl
07-02-2004, 05:21 PM
You can also use wipes specifically for cats with allergic people. My ex boyfriend is allergic to cats and we had Lock with us. He kept Lock with him. He takes medicine when his allergies flare up, and, also uses his inhaler sometimes. Also, you can buy this stuff from the vet (i think it's called ace and water or something) that helps to change the ph of their saliva (which is what most people are actually allergic to). changing their diet sometimes helps too. we only fed lock raw beef or chicken and sardines and it has helped immensely with chris's allergies, because the chemicals and preservatives in the cat food changes the ph of the saliva as well and can aggrevate the allergies. but, most people want to feed cat food, which is fine. There are a lot of things you can do to help with the allergies. and, time does make a difference. chris is far less allergic to lock now than he was at first. brushing a lot and using a vacuum with a hepa filter helps, too. glad you're keeping your kitties!

stacwase
07-02-2004, 09:58 PM
I don't have any advice - but I can't wait to see some cat bath pictures!

Lucky's Maw Maw
07-02-2004, 10:07 PM
I don't have any advice just a note of PRAISE for you!!! Way to go!!! Keeping those cats will only make your heart bigger and you a better person. I, also, am looking forward to some katbath pics!!!!

catmandu
07-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I ahve seen Cat Sacks ,where you can put the Cat in,then the Water,and soap, but I think that most Cats would get pretty used, to waht the cage,or sack is , and RUN FOR the HILLS!

stacwase
07-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
I ahve seen Cat Sacks ,where you can put the Cat in,then the Water,and soap, but I think that most Cats would get pretty used, to waht the cage,or sack is , and RUN FOR the HILLS!

Kind of like Shake and Bake??? SHAKE AND BATHE!!! heheheheheh ROFLOL!!!!!

animal_rescue
07-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Don't worry I'll get a disposable camera and take some pics so I can get a cd when I go to 1 hour photo!!:)
I'm prolly going to go to petmarts to look for cat shampoo and possably a bag of some sort!!:)

NoahsMommy
07-03-2004, 06:02 PM
The bathing wipes work really, really well for controlling allergins. :)

Is your niece able to take any allergy medications??

animal_rescue
07-03-2004, 07:20 PM
She can't right now she is only 2...right now all she has is a breathing machine which she has to use 4 times a day because of her asma(sp?)....

carole
07-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I sure hope it does not come to that, please re-consider, there are many people allergic to cats on PT, I am one of them and now own two, having lived without the beautiful creatures for 18 years of my life, and not having the heart to say no to my daughter who wanted to adopt a stray, the big great cat know as Ash in my sig.

My son also has asthma, but he does not live in the house, so that does help, I do find my allergies do play up now and then and i need medication, but I am less allergic now I have put myself amongst two of them , than i ever was before, I believe i have de-sensitised myself.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and hope the bathing helps, just consider all your options before giving up on your furbabies.:)

moosmom
07-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Someone once suggested I get a mesh laundry bag and put the cat in that, zipping it up to it neck. This way the cat's head is exposed and gives you leverage. I've never tried it personally, but I've been told it works wonders.

The cat shampoo I use is Top Paws. It's tearless and smells good.

animal_rescue
07-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I gave Lily a bath last night!
Omg she was so good...but now she won't talk to me:p

animal_rescue
07-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Well my mom is taking me to the store I think tomorrow for shampoo for the cats....