PDA

View Full Version : Update on my back after surgery

Kirsten
07-02-2004, 03:36 AM
Slick has asked for it, so here it comes: :)

First of all, let me thank you again for all your support, cards and gifts, all this has meant a lot to me during the time I was in hospital and the first days at home.

The surgery will be 4 weeks ago tomorrow, and the very bad back pain I always had it almost gone. People who know me for a long time say that my walk has completely changed, it has been shuffling for many years, and now they say it's back to normal, so I think that's one success already! I can walk around almost painfree, and I'm able to do some things in my household, but things like vaccuum cleaning, cleaning windows, lifting things or driving a car are still forbidden, and I totally depend on others here.

But what worries me is that I have problems with the sciatic nerve in my left leg now. It hasn't been like that before the surgery (well, except during the last days before the surgery when things have gotten really bad). 5 or 6 days after surgery it started that certain movements with my leg are causing a heavy nerve pain. Doctors at the hospital told me this should disappear within the following ten days, but it hasn't.

My physiotherapist is doing her best to ease the pain in my leg, but without a result so far. Even though she's telling me that I have to patient I am afraid that I will need a second surgery! I just hate this thought, especially since both my neighbors and my parents will be on vacation in July so that I won't have a cat sitter just in case I have to go back to hospital.

I have an appointment at the hopsital on July 19 for a check up, and I'm a bit worried about what they might say. My physiotherapist tells me to keep in mind that the spinal nerves have really been under a huge pressure for most likely many many years, and that the nerves just take some time to recover from that. I hope she is right! She said to me that with a disc hernia that bad, I'm lucky that I'm still able to walk!

BTW, here's the picture of the slipped again, state before surgery:

http://www.tillyschanze.de/xray.jpg

Kirsten

lynnestankard
07-02-2004, 03:53 AM
Dear Kirsten many thanks for the update.
I really think you've got to be very patient patient!! :D
Think of your poor back and give it time to recover - recovering nerves take a l- o - n - g time to heal - I know to my own cost.
I realise you must feel frustrated not being able to do so much - but give yourself chance to heal properly.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't have to have the second operation
Keep cuddling gorgeous Luna and Lily - they are very comforting aren't they?
{{{Hugs}}}

Lynne

Barbara
07-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Kirsten, I have not been in the country when you had your surgery so I am very happy to get an update.

I agree with Lynne: there is a reason why the patient is called patient. After surgery it takes a long time to heal the nerves - and no doc can really tell you- there are no standard times:(
(I also know it from my own surgery- I always wanted it to be ok in no time. This gave me a very hard time in the first 3 months after surgery- and you shouldn't believe how much substantial things happened even after half a year later!).

Wishing you all the best, a good recovery and lots of love from Luna and Lily:) :) :)

Killearn Kitties
07-02-2004, 04:16 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated Kirsten. That's great news about your walk and it must be wonderful to be free of the back pain. I don't really know anything about healing nerves, but I do know that everybody is different and your body will do things its own way. Try not to worry, it's not good for you! Keep thinking positive thoughts! They help you get better. Honestly, they do!

Best wishes to you and your fluffy nurses.
The girls send headbumpies.

Logan
07-02-2004, 04:35 AM
What wonderful news about your back, Kirsten! :) I hope you can get the nerve to settle down through physical therapy, rather than facing surgery again.

Take care of yourself, and as the others said, be patient!!! :)

jenluckenbach
07-02-2004, 05:07 AM
Great news (even if it is not perfect news). Hope the leg pain goes away and you continue to get better.

ramanth
07-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the update! :) I hope your recovery continues to go well. :)

(and I hope that leg nerve starts behaving. ;) )

Cataholic
07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Kirsten,
Thanks for the update. I had been curious. I agree, sometimes the nerve is going to have to relearn what is going on, and it might take more time than anticipated. Please be patient. And, please post more pics of Luna and Lily!

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
That is good news about your walk and your pain-free back. Have faith that your leg will heal in time. You have made great progress so far--keep it up!

slick
07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the update Kirsten! You know that if I could, I'd hop on the first plane over there and be your cat-sitter but all fingers and paws crossed that a second sir jury is not necessary!! So glad that you are least walking pain-free. Give it time Kirsten and you know that you can always log on here and whine if you have to. We will be here to listen.:)

trayi52
07-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Kirsten, I am so glad to hear that you are free of the back pain. I am sorry you are still having leg pain, but hopefully that will disappear with time, just try to be patient.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering about it myself.

Willie:)

Karen
07-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks also from me for the update. Patients needing patience is a truism, that's for sure. I am glad you can walk normally, and that your back pain is gone, and I hope that left leg is up to snuff in no time.

lizzielou742
07-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Kirsten, that image of your back looks horrible!!!!!

I hope you continue to improve and feel better!!

Kirsten
07-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

Yes, I guess I'm more the unpatient kind of patient and I tend to overdo things. I eventually cleaned my windows today because they looked terrible, but I did it very carefully. Besides, they are not big, so I guess the movements I have to make to clean them are not too bad. And after all, I was told not to do these things for 4 - 6 weeks, and tomorrow, 4 weeks are over. I won't drive my car though, I think that will still be too painful for my leg. Well, of course if there was an emergency case with one of my babies I would drive to the vet nonetheless... :o

However, my parents took me out to dinner tonight which was very nice of them - actually it's been the first time for many months that I was able to go out - but after a while I felt my back really had enough so I walked home - yes, I'm supposed to do a lot of walking now! Now it's still painful so I guess I'll go to bed soon to have some rest. I'm spending too much time with my computer already, updated websites and stuff... and I guess that's not good for my back also. :confused: Well, but it's just too boring to do nothing!

Kirsten

DJFyrewolf36
07-02-2004, 03:34 PM
I am glad your back is feeling better! Everyone is right, healing takes time. Im really bad about being a patient patient so I know your frustration!

popcornbird
07-02-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better, Kristen. Are Luna and Lily taking good care of you? ;)

Kirsten
07-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Im really bad about being a patient patient so I know your frustration!

So true, it's really frustrating! Especially when you finally did some things and then feel the effects in your back later - like tonight, so I better go to bed now!

Are Luna and Lily taking good care of you?

Oh yes, they are! I'm so happy that I can be with them now instead of being in some boring rehab facility! I've missed them so much!!!

Kirsten