PDA

View Full Version : Split ends and long hair...

popcornbird
07-01-2004, 07:53 PM
I just got a haircut, due to annoying split ends, and was wondering if anyone else has a problem with them.

I know people with long hair are more prone to getting split ends. The problem with me is I like long hair, and I don't want to cut it *short*. My hair was up to my waist, but I just cut it down to the middle of my back. I know its still long, but I don't want to have to keep doing this everytime I want to get rid of split ends. While they are gone now, after getting several inches of my hair chopped off, I know that they'll be there again in a few months, as usual.

Do any of you know of any products, or anything that nourishes hair in a way that would prevent split ends from happening? I saw an ad about the *Split Ender* hair brush on TV, which supposedly trims 1/8th an inch of every individual hair when you brush your hair with it. Its supposed to get rid of split ends without having to cut your hair. Has anyone tried it? I'm seriously considering getting it. I thought my hair was thinning, but it was not. It was just getting split ends and looking that way, and when I cut it, its always back to normal. I just don't want to have to cut my hair short.

If anyone has problems with split ends, or if you know what can be done to prevent them, please respond.

Sirrahsim
07-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Up until a few months ago my hair was almost to the middle of my back. I used to get spilt ends all the time, but then I started conditioning everytime I shower with a really thick conditioner. Every now and then I'd also use a hot oil treatment thingy. Not the expensive kind, just the kind that heats up from the heat of the shower. I would leave it in for a few minutes and then once it was rinsed out my hair felt great.
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/d19d7f0b.jpg
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/cd1d9aa8.jpg

sorry these are both sideways:o :o

GoldenRetrLuver
07-01-2004, 08:02 PM
I had my hair cut short one time in Elementary School.. NEVER AGAIN. I like my long hair. :p

I just use Conditioner and it seems to control the split ends. I don't have a really big problem with them now.

bluekat
07-01-2004, 08:08 PM
I have long hair too...I just hate short hair:p I don't think I have a lot of split ends, but I do have some. I don't really check that often though lol. I use alot of conditioner every time I wash my hair now.

binka_nugget
07-01-2004, 08:17 PM
I've heard that the Split Ender is junk. I've never personally used it though.

Have you tried Mane and Tail Conditioner? I used it every single time I washed my hair and I never got split ends. The conditioner is excellent! It makes your hair sooooo soft. (Liana uses the Shampoo on Mickey LOL and you know how gorgeous his fur is!).

wolfie
07-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Have you tried Mane and Tail Conditioner? I used it every single time I washed my hair and I never got split ends. The conditioner is excellent! It makes your hair sooooo soft. (Liana uses the Shampoo on Mickey LOL and you know how gorgeous his fur is!).

Well, that convinces me - Mickey has beautiful fur! I'll have to look for it for my hair! (My hair gets split ends a lot too)

Amber
07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
My hair is a couple inches below my shoulders. Almost long.

I use this shampoo called infusium 23. It's supposed to restore and correct damaged hair. Makes my hair feel really good!

popcornbird
07-01-2004, 08:42 PM
I use Biolage shampoo, which is REALLY good and makes my hair soft as silk, but I only recently started using it. I must admit I don't use conditioner enough. I do sometimes, but often forget about it. Maybe that's my problem. Does anyone know if Biolage has a good conditioner too? I really like their shampoo.

I used to put olive oil on my hair every time I took a shower, and *never* got split ends when I did that. Its supposed to be a natural conditioner. Ever since I stopped, I got split ends. They're all gone now after the trim, but I just want to do something that will prevent them from happening again. I *hate* short hair. I kept telling the hair dresser *DO NOT cut more than 3 inches off*. :p He he. My hair is long now, but I don't want to ever have to cut it short because of split ends. Never, ever, ever.

Ok, so if lack of conditioning is the cause of it........what's a good conditioner? :p

Sirrahsim, what oil treatment thing do you use?

MariaM
07-01-2004, 08:53 PM
For me its hard to say. I have thick hair. It used to be long, about middle of my back. I had a lot of split ends. I tried many shampoos, no name stuff, TresSemme, European, Outrageos, Daily Defense, Loreal, Tame, Theorie etc and they ALL have the same effect on my hair. Except Outrageos, which makes it shinier.

However, I donated 12 inches of my hair for cancer last month and I'm starting to get split ends again. I haven't found a shampoo that really *works* for me. I guess it's *sorta* like dog food, may work well for one dog, but not for the next.

Dogz
07-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget

I use it on Prince, too. I just started using it recently though. I use shampoo for white-haired dogs and I use the Mane and Tail conditioner.

My mom and I use it, too. :p We don't have a problem with split ends.

If I use too much conditioner, my hair gets greasy the next day. I don't know if your hair is like that, PCB, just something to keep in mind. :)

Sirrahsim
07-01-2004, 09:13 PM
I used to use the Alberto VO5 hot Oil Shower Works Hair Treatment thingy. Below is a link to it. I really think it worked wonders for my hair:)

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=26976&catid=11938&trx=GFI-0-MWS&trxp1=11938&trxp2=26976&trxp3=1&trxp4=1&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-MWS

Kfamr
07-01-2004, 09:45 PM
You don't use conditioner usually?:eek: :eek:

My hair would be one huge knot if I didn't.:p

Uabassoon
07-01-2004, 09:47 PM
When I used to have long hair my hair would have been so tangled without conditioner. I think using conditioner would help out the problem, but if it makes your hair too oily just use it every other time you wash your hair.

Dogz
07-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Same here! No getting a brush through my hair then!

NoahsMommy
07-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Me too, Kay! I HAVE to use conditioner.

To keep from getting an oily scalp, you just apply conditioner to your ends from the neck down.

When you brush your hair out after a shower, use a really wide toothed comb and brush it from the ends up. This helps prevent split ends.

:)

popcornbird
07-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
You don't use conditioner usually?:eek: :eek:

Its not my fault! My parents always forget to bring conditioner, and I hardly ever go shopping. :p My hair never ended up in a huge knot though.

My mom went out shopping earlier, and I told her to get me conditioner, which she did. I just took a shower and used it. Hopefully I'm going to use conditioner EVERY time I take a shower now. I have always used conditioner whenever we have it at home. The problem is, when it runs out, we never get a new bottle for months. I'm going to make sure we ALWAYS have conditioner from now on. I don't think I should get split ends if I use it regularly. I used to use it all the time as a child and I never had a problem with split ends until I stopped. Hopefully if I use conditioner all the time, I won't get split ends and have to constantly cut my hair. I hate having short hair, and refuse to get my hair cut *short* no matter what. Thank God my hair grows fast.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

G.P.girl
07-02-2004, 12:43 AM
i don't really know anything about preventing split ends, i would think you should use those strengthener conditioners and shampoos. but don't use those things that say they get rid of split ends because that's pysically impossible, but people always buy that crap, than wonder why it doesn't work:rolleyes:

heinz57_79
07-02-2004, 12:47 AM
You don't have to keep hair short to deal with split ends... Hair will stay healthier if you take off 1/4 a month or so. If you dye your hair or anything make sure you use a shampoo AND conditioner designed for treated hair. Even if it's not colour treated, you should find a really nourshing conditioner. I heard Pantene is supposed to be really good, but they, along with all Procter and Gamble products, do animal testing so I've never used any of it personally.

KYS
07-02-2004, 07:12 AM
posted by NoahsMommy:Me too, Kay! I HAVE to use conditioner.
When you brush your hair out after a shower, use a really wide toothed comb and brush it from the ends up. This helps prevent split ends. >>>>>>>>>>

Not sure if you use a blow dryer, but if you do that
alone will give you split ends.

I have these shower brushers made by Fuller Brush.
(wide tooth made from a soft plastic)
I put a good conditioner on and than use the brush
as I rince it out.
(Unfortunately I have notice the best conditioners
are the ones that come in the box with hair dye and
are not sold separately to the public.)
Sooo, when I run out of my conditioner I know it
is time to die my hair again. :)

Kfamr
07-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Ohhh.. I LOVE the conditioner that comes from the hair dye boxes! Sometimes we'll run out of coditioner so i'll have to use that from when my mom's dyed her hair. It makes my hair feel sooooo soft.

MariaM
07-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Just wanted to add, I have found Suave to be a very good brand.

Kfamr
07-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Just wanted to add, I have found Suave to be a very good brand.

I use Suave Professionals and love it. It smells good and makes my hair very soft. ;)

MariaM
07-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Mmm I know! Suave Professionals smells sooo good!