PDA

View Full Version : Back to the shelter today....

Laura's Babies
07-01-2004, 07:16 PM
I went, planning not to spend as much time there today as I did yesterday because I have things to do... Yea...Right! I was there LONGER! The office was not packed today so I could take my time cleaning the Cat Hut and it needs a really good cleaning so I got a great start on it (walls, shelves, containers, ect.). I asked if I could swap some cats around and Sherrie told me the hut is mine, do what I want. I also told her I need a pad and pen so I can make notes for her that worked out great because that beautiful long hair calico we got in yesterday had not eaten or used her litter box.. They needed to be aware of that and if I got busy, I could forget so I was able to write it down..

Anyway, some of the foster people came in today and one, they told what I do with pictures and she wants me to come to Petco Saturday and start taking pictures so we can create a book on ALL the ones that need, and are ready for new homes. Someone may not see what they want at Petco and always ask "what else do you have?".... With a book on them all, they could possiably place more. So, I will be doing that and taking updated pics for the websight. (The lady I meet Saturday at Petco is the one who takes care of the websight.)

Of all days for me not to take my camera!! This morning when I got there, Sherrie was holding a BROWN kitten that just had been brought in. I had never saw a BROWN cat in my whole life and it was adorable and had a cry like I have never heard for a cat... He sounds like a small puppy whinning! SO CUTE!! Bad part is, one of the foster ladies was there and held it all day and when she left, she took it home with her... We all wanted it to stay at the shelter for US to spoil.. So I can't get a picture of this boy, so tiney and brown! :(

I am going back tomorrow. I want to get that hut cleaned up to my standards and then I may miss a day here and there. Have to go early am since they close at noon tomorrow...

jazzcat
07-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Sounds like you have another full time job! That is great idea about the picture book at Petco. I bet that will help boost adoptions. Sounds like they sure do need you.

I'd love to have seen the brown kitten. Was it a Havana Brown? I think they are gorgeous.

You're doing wonderful work. I'm sure the shelter and the kitties all thank you.

Laura's Babies
07-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Jazz, YES! That is what Sherrie called it. Havanna Brown.. Since I have never even seen a picture of one, I didn't know WHY it was brown... Are they known for that cute little cry? That was SO sweet! It was on my shoulder making that noise and I was going in circles looking for the puppy that was whinning! it was the cuteist sound!

CatMama78
07-01-2004, 08:06 PM
you are JUST what the Dr. ordered at that shelter. Great job - I am feeling inspired to volunteer!!

Laura's Babies
07-01-2004, 08:29 PM
So many to love, so little time! I have never worked so hard in my life as I have at that shelter but I have never ENJOYED working like I do there. I talk to them the WHOLE time I am in there. I told one grouchy newcomer "This is be KIND to KITTENS week, BE NICE!" I told Hoss, he already has my heart, I tell him that all the time now , he is a really wonderful and loving handsome BIG BOY!
I kept telling those kittens they needed more room to play and I would see what I could do and then, after I moved them today, I kept telling them "LOOK how HAPPY you are now, play babies, play!"

MY inspiration was Catcrazylady and all the others who do the fostering and shelter work, but CCL was my main inspiration. The world need more peple who CARE and have time to help.

Oh.. Update today on Midnight. She is PLAYING with one of Giz's play mice and having a ball while Giz watches...interested...

This is Hoss, the one who has stole my heart (and everybody elses too.)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid125/p2f6544f85a2d69f3b153095b18d96fea/f80866ff.jpg

catcrazylady
07-01-2004, 08:41 PM
I know that the shelter must feel like you are an answer to a prayer! You are doing wonderful and very hard work and I'm so glad for the kitties that your enjoying it!
I'm glad to know that I had a hand in inspiring you but I have to tell you that I decided to give it a try but it was everyone on PT who helped me adjust and keep at it. It's hard to go back sometimes.
I bet you will have that place spic and span in no time! I know they have some very very happy kitties now!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
I think that picture book is a fantastic idea! I hope that gets a lot more babies adopted! You keep us posted on how it is going and next time don't forget your camera!!

I love Hoss! What a cutie!!

kimlovescats
07-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Another great day, Laura!!! You are such a blessing to that shelter!!!! :D

I rescued and placed a Havanna Brown kitten before... he was actually a Havanna Brown TUXIE .... don't know if I still have his pic or not.

Kim

Corinna
07-01-2004, 11:42 PM
A brown tuxie! You have to find that picture!

Lillycat
07-02-2004, 04:42 AM
i am waiting to see that picture too.....a brown cat....

Laura's Babies
07-02-2004, 06:10 AM
I sure would love to see that picture if you think you could find it! But I know how hard it is to find a picture when you want to.. My camera is on the counter today and I am going to ask Sherry to call her and ask if she will bring it back so I can take a picture if we are not swamped today.

OH, I almost forgot to tell you this..... My neighbor, Lucky's Mom is going with me today to see if she can help out too!! That first day when I told her how swamped they were, she expressed that she wouldn't mind helping out too but she would be able only to answer the phone and do filing and office work.. I asked Sherry yesterday and they said YES... Tell her to come. So, she is going too today.

catmandu
07-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Hoss is a Good Looking Cat, and Dan Blocker, would be Proud, that this Cat,has his Characters Name!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
OH, I almost forgot to tell you this..... My neighbor, Lucky's Mom is going with me today to see if she can help out too!!

Ok, now waaaiiitt a minute. Sorry, but who's Lucky? This isn't the same neighbor you got Midnight from is it? If so, I can't believe it!

As for you, wow, you're jumping right in! Good for you! Sounds like it's a lot of hard work but it sounds like you're really enjoying yourself. I'm sure the shelter appreciates everything you're doing for them, even recruiting more volunteers! :D