PDA

View Full Version : I'm just heartbroken!

Amber
07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Today me and my mom went back to the humane society to see the cats, and to see if maggie is there. Well, she wasn't and the shelter hasn't had any cats brought in that went with our discreption. Im and tottaly hopeless. I have a serious feeling that we wont find maggie. No one has answered our ads or nothing.

This cat that I'm totally in love with was still there. He is a older orange short haird male nuetered cat, named Studley (I think. The writing was sloppy) I must tell you me and this cat connected. He is just so calm, and lovedd the scritches. I kept telling my mom I neeeeeeeed this cat! I wonder how long he has. Me and my mom felt heartbroken leaving him there. :(

My mom fell in love with him too, and she also fell in love with this baby orangie kitten. very adorable.

I also have a question me and my mom are wondering about. My mom wants a cat just as bad as I do, and we were discusing if we should get a older cat or a kitten. We both have reasons why we wont either one. It's my dad we are working on for another cat.

We want a older cat because they have such a hard time being adopted. They are also alot more calmer, and already are nuetered/spayed with all shots. PLus we know the personalitys.

OR, we want a kitten because they will adapt better to 2 dogs.

were really going toward a older cat, because we cant take the kitten crazyness. But can a older cat get to learn to live in a houshold with 2 dogs?

Sorry it So long! :o

Twink
07-01-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm so sorry about Maggie! :( Please don't ever give up hope entirely. You just never know.

As for a new kitty, if you want an older one (I'm partial to them myself), then I'm sure that you can find one that's known to be ok with dogs. Shelters and rescues will often have that kind of information; especially on surrenders.

Good luck with your dad, and with Studley (I love that name. If that's not the right name, it should be!). And most of all, good luck with Maggie! She's in my prayers.

aly
07-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Amber,

It depends on how your dogs are around cats. Most adult cats will adjust, but it just may take longer than a kitten would adjust. I would imagine the only exceptions would be cats at the extreme end of timidness or shyness, or some of those who were previous ferals.

I have (and have had previously) several adult foster cats. Most of them adapt quickly to my gentle dogs. I'm lucky that my dogs leave the cats alone for the most part and don't chase them or anything like that. If your dogs like to chase, it will take the cat longer to adjust.

You can always ask the shelter about the personalities of the cats and try to go for one with an outgoing personality who will have more of a chance of adjusting quicker. Also, sometimes shelters have background info on the cats' previous homes and you may find one who has previously lived with dogs.

I'd definately recommend getting an adult for the reasons you stated in your post. Too bad you don't live closer to me. My foster cats all love my dogs!

I'm sorry you still haven't found Maggie :( :( :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-01-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry there's still no word on Maggie. I just really hope she's found another home somewhere. :(

I'm with the others. I think an older cat can adjust to dogs, it might just take a little longer. But if you check with the shelter, they will probably have some that have no problems with dogs. If Studley is really laid back, it would be more that the dogs would need to get used to him rather than him getting used to the dogs. ;)

Good luck, and like Twink says, don't ever give up hope on Maggie. :(

Amber
07-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Thankyou guys

Katie was brought up with a cat for the 8 years of her life. Katie if just fine with cats. She leaves them alone.

But, Elvis on the other hand. When we got him we still had maggie. So he has had experience with a cat. But him being a puppy, he loves to chase and drive katie nuts.

Hopfully the right cat will come along...even if it's not the orangie, and my dad approves of another cat.

carole
07-01-2004, 05:28 PM
I sure hope Maggie turns up, i gather you are not getting another kitten or cat to replace her, so if she turns up you will beable to have them all.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and COME HOME SOON MAGGIE,you are missed and loved and needed.

Amber
07-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks. No, this isn't a replacement cat. If we do get another cat, and awhile maggie turns up..I will have 2 kitties. >Which would be awesome<

Glacier
07-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Twicket was over 13 when I adopted him. He's learned to live with 20 dogs! No problems at all. He hissed a few times and got over it. If your dogs are used to cats, I doubt an older addition will be a problem. The shelter might be able to tell you if the cat likes dogs too.

jazzcat
07-01-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm so sorry about Maggie. I'm going to believe that she's in someone's home being well cared for.

Sounds like your mom and you have a empty spot that needs to be filled - not a replacement, just an addition. I don't have a lot of advice about the dogs because my only dog is Disney and she is extremely laid back and good with cats. She doesn't love them but she tolerates them and I think she actually likes Jazz. They have an odd relationship.

Anyway, the shelter should be able to give you some idea on the cat's temperment with dogs. As for Elvis, he will probably be a little much for the cat so finding a easy going cat would be best.

I hope it all works out of you and I really hope Maggie returns home soon.

CatMama78
07-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Oh Amber, I'm so sorry about Maggie. I know it's been a while, but she could still come home. You read about those cats who are gone for weeks, years even and one day they show up. As for a new feline friend, I think since you're having a hard time deciding you should get one of each :).

Amber
07-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by CatMama78
I think since you're having a hard time deciding you should get one of each :).

Oh! I wish I could. Even when my mom read this she even agreed. But we couldn't. my dad would never go for it, but my mom would, she would take them all. (thats what she says)

Thankyou everyone for your advice :)

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Thank you for keeping us updated, Amber. I know that one day before long you will be posting pictures of a new cat or kitten:) (I hope it is orange. ) :D

Amber
07-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks Debbie :)

I really hope it's a orangie too!

kimlovescats
07-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Still hoping that Maggie returns!!! :(
Maybe you can find an "older kitten" .... in other words, one that some people consider "too old" when they are looking for a tiny baby!!! But an older adult cat would be a great way to help a homeless kitty out ! Like others said, sometime they know that a surrendered cat has come from a home with dogs too! My Griffin LOVES our dogs!!! ;)

catmandu
07-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Please consider An Older Cat

Amber
07-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks, I hope Maggie comes back too

We are gonna consider a older cat, but not too old. Hopfully we can find a cat in age range of 1-5. Maybe even older.

Does anyone know how I can get my dad to the shelter to actually see the cats? :p hehe, because when he sees them, we would adopt one in a heartbeat. He's a softy

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Maybe you could buy some cat food at the store and then use the excuse that you want to stop by the shelter to donate it. And he'll have to help you carry it in because it's such a big bag and you can't lift it yourself. ;) Good luck!

Amber
07-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Oooh, that is a good idea! hehe, I should by a really huge bag of cat food, and my dad would have to help because my mom can't pick up heaving things. :p :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-02-2004, 01:26 PM
And then when he asks how you got it in the car in the first place, just tell him that the bag boy (are they still called that?) helped you with it. ;)

sirrahbed
07-02-2004, 01:27 PM
SHEESH Debbie! You are *good* at this!!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
SHEESH Debbie! You are *good* at this!!;)

You should hear the story I gave Terry when I brought my Corvette home. ;) :D