PDA

View Full Version : allergic to felix

felixowner
11-15-2001, 08:45 PM
I have been a cat lover all my life. imagine my surprise when i found out i am allergic. i had been feeling very ill for a couple of years, with fatigue, achy joints, fuzzy head. when i spent the summer away from home and felt dramatically better, then returned and felt worse, i finally put two and two together and got tested. i also reacted to dust and mold. the allergist was great and didn't even suggest i give felix (two year old tiger male) and S (seven year old siamese female) up because it was obvious that was not on the table for discussion. he had me superclean my bedroom, use a HEPA filter and dustmite proof bedding, and no longer are the cats allowed in the bedroom. i made them an alternative sleepin area, and they are being angels about staying there instead. any other cat lovers turned allergic? what did you do to help with the problem? also... i am also getting desensitization shots. anyone heard of allervax cat or tried it?
thanks!

4 feline house
11-15-2001, 09:18 PM
Well, I'm allergic and asthmatic, but I am allergic to so many other things that being around cats makes not one bit of difference. Especially since the thing I am most allergice to is completely unavoidable - dust! So I guess I'd be no help to you, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for not having the knee-jerk reaction of giving up your cats, at least not before attempting any and all other solutions! And bless you smart physician, too!

zippy-kat
11-15-2001, 10:57 PM
As much as I hate to admit it...I think I *might* be :o

yorkster
11-16-2001, 02:14 AM
gosh I don't know what I would do if I ever found out that I was allergic to my kitties.
Have you tried Clariton? I have a friend with lots of allergies, and he takes that. He said there are no side-effects.

purrley
11-16-2001, 06:50 AM
I just find it so amazing how many people are allergic to cats - my daughter has always been around cats - she has a Siamese of her own, but now when she comes to my house she gets stuffed up - can't understand it - maybe its because she only has 1 cat and I have 4 :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
11-16-2001, 08:51 AM
I am allergic to cats (dust, mold, etc. etc.) That was one of my concerns about getting a cat. During Edwina's first two years with us I had two major (we're talking emergency room type) episodes. So.....both my husband and I quit smoking (duh!) and I began taking Claritin which has been a wonder drug for me. Edwina sleeps with/on me but seems to understand NEVER to get near my face and I am careful not to touch my face -- particularly my eyes after petting her. My husband is SUPPOSE to do Edwina's
brushing frequently (she hates it.)

I have truely been episode-free since taking the Claritin. I thought maybe I was cured and stopped taking it earlier this week. I'm not -- so it may be a "lifetime" thing for me.

zippy-kat
11-16-2001, 08:52 AM
My mom was the first one to suggest that we (the family) might be allergic to cats. I had never thought of it at all. Just chalked it up to the dust, pollen, etc. etc.

BUT...I've been livin' with cats for 21 years...don't plan on stoppin' now! lol

aguu
11-16-2001, 08:52 AM
Well I've been deathly allergic to all animals for my whole life. It's been so devastating to me becasue I'm a huge animal lover. But then Jake starting coming around (he was originally my neighbours' cat)and I seemed to slowly build up a resistance to him. He eventually ended up moving in with us, for the first few days my asthma acted up but after that I was perfectly fine.
I've unfortunately had to give up Jake (divorce) but I have a new furbaby now and my allergies have not acted up one bit. I really believe that you can sort of bulid up an "immunity" over a period of time - sort of like a vaccine.
I cannot imagine life without a kitty now!!!

Karen
11-16-2001, 09:01 AM
You can build up some resistance, not immunity, You ask about "desentitizing shots" - yes, if you cannot cotrol allergies in other ways, you CAN get shots to help desensitize you to stuff. It is not a one-time thing, it is usually a series of shots, at regular intervals, and may have to be repeated every few years depending on your own individual reactions. So it is NOT for anyone afraid of needles! :)

felixowner
11-16-2001, 12:03 PM
i'm glad to hear other people are coping with this problem! i am also taking a nonsedating antihistimine, allegra, also nasal steroids. i started the shots last week. it's true it is very intense, weekly for 20-30 weeks, then monthly for 3-5 years. but right now i feel like i would do anything to help me keep living with my cats, they are really more like family than pets. this allervax is not like the standard desensitization shots, but i reallly don't know much about it. periodically felix "breaks in" to the bedroom; i think he's really curious about what is going on in there now that he is not allowed. but i think the cats like the newer, cleaner house -- more furniture to hang out on.

wayne0214
11-16-2001, 07:27 PM
felixowner; how long were you away before you realized that your breathing and other problems started to clear up?

...........Wayne

Logan
11-16-2001, 10:52 PM
Helen and I both suffer from sinus problems, almost year round, but we dare not even venture off into the allergy testing because I know what they will say! LOL! Dog fur, cat fur, maybe even hamster fur. The Claritin D works wonders for us too, so we just make sure our prescription is up to date at all times!!! LOL! :D

zippy-kat
11-16-2001, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Logan:
<STRONG>The Claritin D works wonders for us too, </STRONG>

Claritin D makes me SHAKE...don't know why.

4 feline house
11-17-2001, 12:40 AM
Zippy - It's likely the "D" that makes you shake - the decongestant. If you have allergies, as opposed to sinus congestion (which is not always caused by allergies) you may be able to do without it. You might see how you do on just an antihistamine.

Aguu - You can and usually will develope a desensitization to your own cats - it's the process that allergies shots are based on.

Purrley - this could be why your daughter is bothered by your cats and not hers, but it could also be sheer numbers like you suspect. Every allergic person has a certain tolerance level for any given allergen - a little bit may not bother them, whereas a lot probably will.

zippy-kat
11-17-2001, 10:29 AM
I would say it's definitely more of a sinus problem. But of course, I'm living in denial--I really don't want to admit that I *might* be allergic to cats!

On the other hand, I haven't been tested for allergies soooo...there's the chance that I'm not--and I'm milkin' that for all she's worth!

4 feline house
11-17-2001, 11:06 AM
Well, if it's not allergies, then the antihistamine will do you no good. :( Only the decongestant will be of any use.

Take heart, though - if it's just a plugged-up nose that distresses you, you probably don't have allergies. Any of us allergics can tell you that commerical hawking the product for "nasal allergies" is pretty misleading - allergies attack your nose, eyes, throat, ears, skin, and in those of us who are also asthmatic - the bronchi!

Strangely enough, as bad as my allergies are, I almost never suffer any sinus distress!

ldygray
11-18-2001, 01:27 AM
My hubby and I are not allergic to cats, but our kids and a couple of grandkids are. We have one old cat, and two weeks ago I adopted a kitten. Go to the Foster & Smith website and you will find products there that you rub onto your cat and it will really help. I have the Allergen and the one that freshens the cat and loosens the dander before brushing them. I love their products and the prices sure beat the prices in our pet stores here, plus they carry products you may not find in your pet store. Check it out at:
www.DrsFosterSmith.com (http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com)

cr7clark
11-19-2001, 06:50 AM
My husband and I are not allergic to cats, but we have good friends who are. Before our allergic friends come to visit, we vacuum the house thoroughly (includes furniture) and this seems to make a huge difference. Also, Miss Bo isn't one to climb on people's laps and get into their faces, so that probably helps as well.
One more thing.....we purchased a Rainbow vacuum cleaner last year, and although it's terribly expensive, it's the best cleaner we've ever had. Instead of using a bag, which clogs up quickly and reduces the suction power, the Rainbow uses a bowl of water to filter the air as it vacuums. Talk about efficient!! Our house is a lot cleaner now since we got the Rainbow, and I have allergic friends who use it and swear by it.

thelmalu99
11-19-2001, 10:13 AM
My friend Rachel, who has been staying with me for the past few months, is allergic to cats and asthmatic, but she grew up with lots of cats. They would have like five or six cats at a time. She LOVES them.
Anyway, when Rachel moved in with me, she didn't have any cats and she explained to me that all she needed to do was "adjust" her medication and she would be fine. She hasn't had any problems and believe me, she is
always snuggling with these kitties. :)
I also vacuum several times a week, so I guess that helps too.

wolflady
11-19-2001, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BosMom:
<STRONG>My husband and I are not allergic to cats, but we have good friends who are. Before our allergic friends come to visit, we vacuum the house thoroughly (includes furniture) and this seems to make a huge difference... One more thing.....we purchased a Rainbow vacuum cleaner last year, and although it's terribly expensive, it's the best cleaner we've ever had. Instead of using a bag, which clogs up quickly and reduces the suction power, the Rainbow uses a bowl of water to filter the air as it vacuums. Talk about efficient!! Our house is a lot cleaner now since we got the Rainbow, and I have allergic friends who use it and swear by it.</STRONG>

This sounds like my situation as well. I'm not allergic (thank goodness!!) but we have parents that are highly allergic. Brushing, sweeping etc. really help alot, but also a room Hepa filter works wonders!!! You can either get them installed in the house itself, or get gound units like the small one we have. It filters the air and helps you breath!
Also, my sister and dad are allergic to cats but I did notice since we lived with them for so long, they did build up a resistance...so the solution is: always keep a cat in the house! LOL LOL :D ;)

felixowner
11-20-2001, 04:44 PM
i am embarassed at how long it took me to realize my symptoms were related to allergies. i only needed to be away from home for a couple/three days before starting to feel better, but i guess i attributed it to getting more rest, not having the stress of work, etc. what finally got through to me was not how well i felt away from home, but how BAD i felt the first day back at home. the cats (felix and S) have been out of the bedroom for a couple of weeks, and i feel better, no question about it. they are more loving in the morning, and i give them lots of love whenever i can. i wish i was better with the vacuum, that would help i know!

Heather Wallace
11-21-2001, 07:19 PM
I to am allergic to cats but I wouldn't be without them either.

libracats
11-24-2001, 08:29 PM
I too am allergic to cats, dust, mold, etc. I also have asthma. For many years I could not spend more than 10 min. in a house with cats. Then a Vet told me I could have cats if I bathed them regularly. 5 years ago I got my 1st cat and bathed her once a month. At first it was pretty rough, because I was doing the bathing, I was stuffed up alot!But I now have 8 cats and I have no problems with them. I only get small reactions at someone elses house with cats. I feel so lucky and too, dont know how I ever lived without them.