PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Remember This Case

lizbud
07-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Just wondering if anyone else remembers this case, or the
little girl, Lisa, who was killed ?

I remember when this horrific case was all over the media.
Somehow it doesn't seem right than this guy is getting out of
prison already. He's a sadistic brute who has shown no remorse.

THE NATION
N.Y. Child Killer Who Personified Abuse Is Paroled
Joel Steinberg shocked the city in 1987 by beating his 6-year-old daughter to death. His release brings angry reactions.

By John J. Goldman, Times Staff Writer

NEW YORK — Convicted killer Joel Steinberg left prison Wednesday, focusing attention once again on a crime that shocked this city nearly 17 years ago and came to symbolize the problem of child abuse nationwide.

The 63-year-old former lawyer climbed into a white stretch limousine outside the Southport Correctional Facility in Pine City, N.Y., and drove off with a caravan of reporters and photographers in pursuit. Once in Manhattan, Steinberg switched vehicles and was taken to a halfway house where, looking anxious, he stumbled up the front steps.

On five occasions, a parole board had rejected Steinberg's bid for early release, saying he had shown little or no remorse for beating his 6-year-old adopted daughter, Lisa, to death. But authorities were required to parole Steinberg after he had served two-thirds of his 25-year manslaughter sentence because he had displayed good behavior while incarcerated. Conditions of his parole include performing community service, attending drug counseling and anger management classes and observing a curfew.

Steinberg had no comment Wednesday, but Gov. George E. Pataki labeled his discharge "despicable."

"Let him feel every New York eye burning straight through his rotten soul," the New York Daily News said in a front-page editorial. "Joel Steinberg doesn't like to be stared at. That rattles him. That's why he broke apart a little girl with his bare hands."

"It seems to me he could have done more time," said Donald Florence, who lives near the red brick townhouse in Greenwich Village where Lisa was beaten.

On the morning of Nov. 2, 1987, police and ambulance attendants — responding to a 911 call from Hedda Nussbaum, Steinberg's live-in companion — entered the apartment. They found Nussbaum, her face battered, and Steinberg carrying his daughter in his arms. She was unconscious, naked, filthy and badly bruised. An infant was lying on the floor, tethered to a playpen with a rope.

Lisa died of severe brain injuries three days later.

Steinberg was indicted on charges of second-degree murder, first-degree manslaughter and endangering the welfare of a child. Prosecutors said Nussbaum, who had entered a psychiatric hospital, was in no way responsible.

Nussbaum "was probably the most battered woman I have ever seen," recalled Monica Drinane, who represented Steinberg's adopted son in court proceedings and who now heads the Legal Aid Society's human rights division. "You had no idea of who the person was," Drinane said of Nussbaum, "and who was surviving inside this very battered physical existence."

Nussbaum became the prosecution's chief witness, recounting multiple beatings by Steinberg, including 10 black eyes, broken ribs and a ruptured spleen. She said that while Lisa lay unconscious on the bathroom floor, she and Steinberg had used cocaine; he told her he knocked Lisa down because Nussbaum and the two children were staring at him.

After deliberating for eight days, the jury found Steinberg guilty of first-degree manslaughter.

As his parole date approached, Nussbaum, 59, announced she would leave her job at a domestic violence center and move away from New York rather than face her former lover. Steinberg's illegally adopted son, Travis Smigiel, has been raised by his birth mother and is scheduled to start college in the fall.

"The Steinberg case helped the whole system understand the connection between domestic violence and child abuse," said James Purcell, executive director of the Council of Family and Child Caring Agencies. "It was a terrible milestone."

But the child welfare system in New York City, Purcell said, "is a much better and stronger system today than when Lisa was killed," citing lower case loads, better training of child services workers and an emphasis on violence prevention.

"I think there is a lot more time and attention paid to the placement of children in pre-adoptive homes and follow-up to make sure when they are adopted, where they are placed is suitable," Drinane said.

Cheshirekatt
07-01-2004, 03:28 PM
I remember hearing about this case. Unbelieveable.

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 03:39 PM
I was a little young when this story happened...

Sigh, this is terrible. Hopefully the guy wont re-offend...

Edwina's Secretary
07-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh yes! A flood of memories came back when I saw that in the paper today....photos of what he had done to the woman and to the child. A photo of the child in school....horribly unkempt.

I rather hope he was abused while in prison!

lizbud
07-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Oh yes! A flood of memories came back when I saw that in the paper today....photos of what he had done to the woman and to the child. A photo of the child in school....horribly unkempt.

I rather hope he was abused while in prison!

Sara,

I felt exactly the same things. It must have made a lasting
impression on me as I was surprised at the feelings that came
back, as if it were last week or something.:( The awful pictures
of that woman's face, so disfigured by beatings and abuse.

And the poor child lisa. (My own daughter's name) Such a sad
and horrible life she had.:( Her little sad face in the pictures
really haunted me.

May he never have a peaceful day as long as he lives.

moosmom
07-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Boy do I EVER remember that case!!! I followed it all the way through. Both him and his wife were nutcases who abused BOTH those kids.

I cannot believe they are letting him out. Hopefully someone will come along and bump him off.

Cookiebaker
07-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes, I remember this case well, and boy does it make me feel old. :p I was just 11 years old, and it is the first news story that every had real impact on my life. It was a shock to me, really. I had no idea that there were such cruel people in the world. It was a loss of innocense to my young mind. :(

I

leslie flenner
07-01-2004, 11:11 PM
HAS LEFT TOWN, HER HOME IS EMPTY AND SHE QUIT HER JOB AT A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE (I believe) RESIDENCE. HE has been offered a job with a cable network. $250.00 a week. He has to stay in a halfway house I think for 1 year. It may be 3. No going on internet, no contacting the wife, (is it ex?), curfew hours, etc. I suppose it would have been easier to put the article here but I'm sure all here have access to todays news! I do remember she was charged with abuse as well- Moosmom- why did she not serve time? Or did she?

nibblets
07-02-2004, 03:59 PM
I may be wrong, but I thought she served some time, but got considerably less time than he did.
Evil people!

smokey the elder
07-03-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm surprised he didn't get whacked in prison. Child molesters are not well thought of on the inside.

lizbud
07-03-2004, 10:24 AM
In an article I read it said than he served his time in a
segregated section of the prison reserved for child abusers.

I don't think he would have lived to serve any time if he had
been thrown into the general population.Child abuse is considered the" lowest of the low" as crimes go.

moosmom
07-03-2004, 10:21 PM
THIS infuriates me!!!

Steinberg left prison with $104 in earnings from his inmate account and was picked up in a limousine by his attorney Darnay Hoffman.

Hoffmann has said he offered Steinberg a free apartment and a $250-a-week job with a local cable television show. Steinberg will have to make regular visits to a parole officer until 2012.

THAT just goes to show you that lawyers stick together. And the laws are made for the criminals!! UGH!!!! :mad: :mad:

Hedda Nussbaum has fled NY. The charges against her were dropped because it was determined she was battered. The piece of $hit Steinberg "doesn't like to be stared at" so he beat the living crap out of his illegally adopted 6 year old daughter then went back to smoking cocaine.

Gee, I'd sure want HIM to defend me in court!!! :mad: :mad: