PDA

View Full Version : To heal a heart must first open......

Equus217
07-01-2004, 01:28 PM
I wanted to share my healing with you all, since discovering PT has been a huge blessing for me! I was devastated when I lost my only kitty Lola back in May. I was actually so lonely and desperate for some feline companionship that I visited one of the shelters in my town. I figured I would give some loving to the adult cats in the cat room. As soon as I walked through the door though, a small crate of kittens caught my eye. They were so tiny and extremely sick. There were four total, but two of them were clinging to life. A dark torti was wheezing and sneezing and both her eyes were completely sealed shut! The smallest of the bunch was a little calico.....half the size of the others....she was too tiny to eat the dry food and that was all they had put in there!
:mad: I can't even begin to describe how pitiful they were. I know they needed medical attention immediately or the little calico wasn't going to make it. So I told the shelter I would foster them until they recovered. I immediately took them to my vet, we endeed up going through a round of amoxiciilin and chloremphenicol (sp?), anti-bact. eye ointment, Albon for coccidia, and treatment for ear mites!!!:eek: I had to force feed them a mixture of KMR kitten milk and canned A/D for a week before they began to eat on their own.
I was afraid to tell their story to early.....I really didn't know if I could pull them through. However I am thrilled to report I have to very healthy kittens on my hands now....which I have become very attached to. We were calling them Lucky #1 and Lucky #2, but I officially named them Vegas and Reno. So my two lucky girls have worked their way into my heart and taught me a very valuable lesson: In order to heal, your heart must first open again.:D

I am going home after work to experiment with Photobucket, with high hopes of being able to officially introduce all of you to Vegas and Reno!!!

ps--what do you think of their names??:rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 01:35 PM
As a resident of Nv...

I LOVE THE NAMES lol!!! Cute play on words Lucky to Vegas and Reno...sounds like those kitties were way luckier than most people here :D I am so glad to hear they are doing well, I hope to see pix of them soon!

Yay for Vegas and Reno!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-01-2004, 01:55 PM
I agree totally. Another take on it, the best way to heal is to love again. :)

I'm so glad you too matters into your own hands and now have two little sweeties on your hands. :D Can't wait for pics! :D

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what happened to the other two, did they make it also?

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Yay for Vegas and Reno! I agree with what you say about opening up your heart and am glad you share this experience with us here at PT:)
Goodie - we soon will have pictures, too! Great for you and these babies - I am very happy for all of you:)

Equus217
07-01-2004, 02:05 PM
I did go back to check on the other two, they were much healthier than my two. And the girl that was working the front desk assured me they had both been adopted. :) I hope they found loving homes too! :)

CatMama78
07-01-2004, 02:06 PM
I am very sorry for the loss of your Lola :(.

I am happy to hear that you have saved the lives of and fallen in love with some new babies. I bet you anything Lola sent them your way.

And Vegas and Reno may be one of the most clever names I've heard!
I love it!

slick
07-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Oh boy, here come the tears!! :(

What a touching story. It is true that when you are hurting, sometimes it's best to put it aside and help someone else in need. Bless you for taking these two kitties. I believe that things happen for a reason and you were guided to that shelter to help save Vegas and Reno.

I'm so glad that you've discovered that Pet Talk can be a very important part of your life. I have not experienced tragedy since joining but I have witnessed the support that this website can offer. It's truly amazing and we can all learn from each other.

It nice that you have joined our community, now come on and post some pictures :) :)

jazzcat
07-01-2004, 02:35 PM
I think Catmama is right, Lola must have sent them your way!!

I love the names and I can't wait to see pictures!

I'm so glad you've been able to move on and help these little babies. What a wonderful story! Welcome to PT!!

kimlovescats
07-01-2004, 02:38 PM
What a beautiful story ... and THANK YOU for this important reminder!!! Our hearts are never too full or too heavy to love again!!! ;)

I love their names and can't wait to meet them!!!!:D

QueenScoopalot
07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
They are indeed very lucky little ladies! Good thing you opened up your heart and saved their lives. And then adopted them....wonderful story, and cute names. Pictures please??? :D

Laura's Babies
07-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I love your thinking about before a heart can heal! What a wonderful way to express it and you are right! I can't wait to see the pictures of them.. Hope you got then and now pictures.

kuhio98
07-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Wonderful, happy ending. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Atlantic City and a Monte Carlo somewhere in your future. :D

Thank you for sharing the love you learned with Lola with these babies.

catcrazylady
07-01-2004, 08:53 PM
What a wonderful and loving thing to do in memory of Lola. It was her kitty love that took you to the shelter and I don't think you could have done anything sweeter or kinder than to open your heart again to those sick babies. I'm sure Lola is very proud that her loss was not in vain and did save two.
I love the names and you don't have to be aroun PT long to know that we LOVE pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing your new babies.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif