PDA

View Full Version : Memories

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 01:03 PM
all these posts about cokes are making me nostalgic.

My grandfather used to eat peas with a knife. How about using an outhouse in the wintertime...brrrr....feeding corn to chickens...cleaning our farm's front porch with soapy water and straw brooms. Does anyone have similar memories?

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes! When I went to visit cousins at my grandma's house, they told me about snipe hunting and all the money we could make. Of course *I* was the one who would hold the bag while the others went out to scare the mysterious critters my way:rolleyes:
OK, so I DID sit there about an hour and finally came home after everyone was having dinner already:o My grandma saved me a plate though.:p

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Heh, maybe not quite the same memories but dang they were fun times!

My first swimming pool was a hole dad dug in the back yard. It was about 2 ft deep and a good 6-7 ft in diamiter *biiiig hole lol* We couldn't aford a pool really so dad dug it out for us and the dogs to play in. The next year we "Upgraded" and put a plastic tarp down in the hole as a lining :).

We had a huge porch we hosed off and swept...the dogs hung out there and made the place dirty as all get out. The porch was big enough to where the dogs could sleep under it and we put straw and blankets down there for em, it was like a den!

Mom always fed *and still does* the local quail chicken feed...does that count for the feeding chickens one lol?

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Oh and Debbie, I fell for the stupid Snipe hunting thing too :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Oh and Debbie, I fell for the stupid Snipe hunting thing too :rolleyes:
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/1.gif
Dennis thinks *I* am the only one!!! Funny Kristina!

lbaker
07-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Every summer my family, cousins, aunts and uncles would stay at the beach and several times we would have these huge beach parties and the kids would have watermelon seed spitting contests and build a big bonfire. One summer I was miserable cause my two front teeth had come out and I had to have the corn cut off the cob like the "old folks". The elderly great aunts all made fudge and we kids got to "judge" who's was best. They were all sisters and had the same handed down recipe of course ;)

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Debbie, I WAS 6 lol....

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Oh, Here I go again...memories....

Did ya make ever made straw forts in the hayloft? Or...swing down the big loading rope in the front of the barn..have a pet calf...fetch water from the well???ride an uncles big mule??? Did you ever get lost in a corn or cotton field????Go frog gigging with the adults????drive a tractor into a ditch...deep sigh...Did you ever have a front porch sing along???

dukedogsmom
07-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Yes! When I went to visit cousins at my grandma's house, they told me about snipe hunting and all the money we could make. Of course *I* was the one who would hold the bag while the others went out to scare the mysterious critters my way:rolleyes:
OK, so I DID sit there about an hour and finally came home after everyone was having dinner already:o My grandma saved me a plate though.:p
They tried to pull that on me when I was in Texas but I didn't quite fall for it. I did go out at night but I basically knew it was a joke not long after I was there.

The only outhouse I've ever used was for a big party our department had out in the boondocks one year. It was out in the middle of nowhere in a cow pasture. After it got dark, the moquitos were horrible! But, the party was a lot of fun.

I'll have to get my mom to tell some tales here because she grew up on a farm and when she was a little girl, she had to do lots of things. She had to kill the chickens for dinner. Sling them around in a cirlce by the neck until......ugh. I don't think I could have done it.

mruffruff
07-01-2004, 01:31 PM
I remember the outhouse in winter. Brrrrrrr is only half of it. We lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where temperatures can drop to minus 30.

And I remember one time when I was about 7 when I tried to go back to the house, there was a brown bear on the path! :eek:

I remember washing in the creek because we didn't have a bathroom. It was easier in the summer than having Mom haul the water. And I remember taking turns in the tub in the kitchen with the wood stove keeping us warm.

And I remember the time the cat decided to land on the hot stove pipe. Poor cat!

This was not at camp---This was every day. I sure appreciate hot & cold running water now.

Mary

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Does howling on the front porch with a wolf mix count as a sing along lol? The dog was happy, I was happy but mom...well she said we need to take voice lessons :rolleyes:

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mruffruff

And I remember taking turns in the tub in the kitchen with the wood stove keeping us warm.

Yes, the tub . :) We also used a corrugated tub but heated the water on a Ben Franklin stove. We did have a wood stove in the kitchen also. The pets usually slept behind it to stay warm. Grandma somehow made PERFECT bisquits every morning from that very stove. We also ate yum...fat back..good gravy from the grease, and homemade blackberry jam...of course in the fall we would all go Blackberry pickin and the women would make jam. We did have a pump in the kitchen which pumped well water into our kitchen sink. Our kitchen table looked like a huge picnic table. Our chairs were all straight back woven straw ...and easy to tip...
By the way...no electricity...we had kerosine lamps throughout the house...nuf 4 now:D

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Does howling on the front porch with a wolf mix count as a sing along lol? The dog was happy, I was happy but mom...well she said we need to take voice lessons :rolleyes:

Our Hound dogs ALWAYS sang along on our porch too!!!!Uh we did try to make a joyful noise....

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
My first swimming pool was a hole dad dug in the back yard. It was about 2 ft deep and a good 6-7 ft in diamiter *biiiig hole lol* We couldn't aford a pool really so dad dug it out for us and the dogs to play in. The next year we "Upgraded" and put a plastic tarp down in the hole as a lining :).

We had a huge porch we hosed off and swept...the dogs hung out there and made the place dirty as all get out. The porch was big enough to where the dogs could sleep under it and we put straw and blankets down there for em, it was like a den!

Mom always fed *and still does* the local quail chicken feed...does that count for the feeding chickens one lol?

I loved the swimming pool "upgrade"..That's sounds like something my dad would do...

Yes, Southern Houses were always built on brick blocks and no telling what you would find living under there.

Yep that counts...

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
Every summer my family, cousins, aunts and uncles would stay at the beach and several times we would have these huge beach parties and the kids would have watermelon seed spitting contests and build a big bonfire.

AHH Watermelons...the watermelons in South Carolina were big as buicks ...(Maybe a slight stretch) We kids mostly spit the seed at each other though

mruffruff
07-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Sirrahned, you must have been at our house! We had the pump in the kitchen too. But we picked blueberries and strawberries and blackberries and choke cherries and Thimbleberries from the woods and fields. Mom didn't make biscuits often; not a Northern thing.

I remember the night Dad slaughtered a bear on the dining room table. Best steak I ever ate.

Mary

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Sirrahned, you must have been at our house! We had the pump in the kitchen too. But we picked blueberries and strawberries and blackberries and choke cherries and Thimbleberries from the woods and fields. Mom didn't make biscuits often; not a Northern thing.

I remember the night Dad slaughtered a bear on the dining room table. Best steak I ever ate.

Mary

Do you remember how the boiling berries smelled up the kitchen??? We didn't slaughter a bear on table but my uncles did butcher one of our hogs when I was about six years old. They hung it in the tree in our side yard. I watched them gut it ....Fatback is not steak but it sure good on a cool South Carolina morning.

mruffruff
07-01-2004, 02:37 PM
The whole house smelled devine!

As good as the memories are, I sure don't want to go back.

(Are we giving away our age? You have to be younger than I am. Everybody is).

Mary

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
As good as the memories are, I sure don't want to go back.

(Are we giving away our age? You have to be younger than I am. Everybody is).

Mary

I think a port-a-john in an emergency is about as back as I want to go. I now live in air conditioned, humidified, electified, conditions. I get uncomfortable when my house gets up to 72 degrees. :)

I am 53...:p ...My daughter thinks I am ancient....

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 04:31 PM

Mary

This is a lot closer than I wanted to get to anything being slaughtered...

I went over to a friends house one day and found a deer skined and gutted hanging from the shower curtain rod *I held it until I got home lol, I was scared to pee in the bathroom for weeks afterward*...another time I saw sheep legs in the sink *they had a sheep, I guess it got too rowdy*

After that I NEVER ate meat at thier house!!

I guess thats what happens when you hang out with Mountain Man recreation group people...

sirrahved
07-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Who remembers listening in on the party line? We had an old spinster that lived down the road that shared our line with us. I used to *love* hearing her conversations, even if she had nothing interesting to say! There was a 1950's display at The Henry Ford Museum where you could listen in on the party line... I did it in the nineties! Of course, our party line was one of the very last in Michigan... so we were just behind on the times!

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Does anyone one know what "goodnight John-boy" means?:p
Is there anyone here who has never *dialed* a phone number?

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Debbie, I don't dial phone numbers, I have voice dailing :D

Siriously though, we had our old rotary phone until I turned 13...dad was too lazy to go get one of them "Fancy push button talk boxes" lol

We had a CD player before we had a touchtone phone :rolleyes:

lbaker
07-02-2004, 06:44 AM
When I first learned to type it was on one of those old manual typewriters with the "ding" at the end of each row to let you know when to push the return carraige bar for another line. Those stupid little eraser pencils always ripped the sheet of paper (that was even before white-out!). When you put "cc" at the end of a memo or letter it didn't just mean "copy to someone else" it stood for carbon copy. We didn't use xerox machines or computers of course so we had real carbon paper to type two copies at once :rolleyes:

sirrahned
07-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
When I first learned to type it was on one of those old manual typewriters with the "ding" at the end of each row to let you know when to push the return carraige bar for another line.

It's amazing how we want to hold on to things past...Even the first homeuse computer keyboards kept that little "ding" for a while. Those first computer electronic word processors..were SOOO Fancy. The word processor program on my old Commodore 64 computer even had a picture of a typewriter and an electronic "ding" to simulate it's old manual typewriter cousin.

sirrahned
07-02-2004, 09:17 AM

I went over to a friends house one day and found a deer skined and gutted hanging from the shower curtain rod *I held it until I got home lol, I was scared to pee in the bathroom for weeks afterward*...another time I saw sheep legs in the sink *they had a sheep, I guess it got too rowdy*

I guess thats what happens when you hang out with Mountain Man recreation group people...

These folks sound like my kind of people.

DJFyrewolf36
07-02-2004, 09:20 AM
So far as I know, they still do that kind of thing Dennis...

I had the little Comodore 64 word processor thingy. Of course we didnt have the printer but...we could save to disk though! Oooo Disks lol.

sirrahbed
07-02-2004, 09:28 AM

oh NO! Don't get him started! Would this "group" be black powder folks? Hubby likes the mountain man stuff:D He has his clothes and everything - homemade leather hat and things to wear around his waist to hold black powder stuff - possibles bags I think? Sometimes he drags me to things called Rendezvous Meets and everyone there is dressed like a mountain man or an Indian and they cook like old timers and sell their stuff, have hatchet throwing, shooting and all that. When he goes out to target practice - his targets are not round circles - they are BUFFALO:D
Well, he IS a history teacher and likes to go back in time as well sooooo don't get him started!! :rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
07-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Sorry Debbie!! Trust me, I don't get it either...I've been to a few events and the only thing fun I thought was throwing axes...

This is a black powder group except the ones out here shoot deer. There arent any buffalo close enough lol.

Something about bathing in an ice cold river and wearing leather in 90 degree heat seems...well uncomfortable :p :)

I'll just watch and buy some of the neat craft stuff, Dennis lol

sirrahned
07-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
oh NO! Don't get him started!

Did I tell you about how I used to hunt ten miles barefoot in the snow?

sirrahbed
07-02-2004, 09:41 AM
This is a black powder group except the ones out here shoot deer. There arent any buffalo close enough lol.

All HE hunts are deer too. He just *pretends* they are buffalo:p The rendezvous things are OK but I still giggle at all these grown men! (especially the "indians" in their loin cloths) I have never dressed up because I'd just be stuck at camp in hot dresses/bonnets and stirring a dutchoven of something over the fire!! I used to shoot with him but I always get a bruised shoulder and powder burns. There *is* something kinda cute about having my very own mountain man though;)