PDA

View Full Version : What do you call a carbonated cold beverage?

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I got this idea from various posts and since we have folks from all over the world...and since I have lived all over the world:D
I will start....in Texas...no matter what the brand is..if it is carbonated ..it is a coke!!:D
What is it called where YOU live???

NoahsMommy
07-01-2004, 12:26 PM
I call it soda if I'm talking about it in general.

If I want something, I call it by product name...Pepsi, Sprite, etc.

:D

Uabassoon
07-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I call it Coke it doesn't matter if it's s sprite because it's all called coke :) But since I moved to Az I realized people get confused when I offer them a coke and will say no I want ____ (another soda of their choice) So I started to call it soda, but most of the time I forget and I still call them all Coke.

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Me and my friends are nerd types so we usually call it "Carbonated beverage + caffene" or my particular spin "Caffinated degreaser" :rolleyes: Wait staff at resturants don't seem to get the joke though...

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
COKE: .. even if it is a pepsi product.. if it is a carbonated drink... it is a coke!! :D

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Back in the 60's we lived in NewHampshire and I remember that carbonated drinks were called "tonic" - are they still???:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
COKE: .. even if it is a pepsi product.. if it is a carbonated drink... it is a coke!! :D

another southerner:D ..you and Laura!!

Uabassoon
07-01-2004, 12:34 PM
I miss how at a lot of resturants in Tx they will ask "What kind of Coke would you like?"

molucass
07-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Yep, that's what we call it! A coke!! :D

Lol... Texans are strange.. ;)

aly
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm in Texas so its COKE all the way! I giggle to myself when people say pop, soda, or cola. You can tell they're not from these parts! :D

molucass
07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
the "pop" one is what gets me... lol... that's definitely different! :p

Aspen and Misty
07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Soda...

Thats Funny...What Kind Coke would you like!! LOL. If we said Coke down here they would just bring you a Coke. :)

Ash

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by aly
I'm in Texas so its COKE all the way! I giggle to myself when people say pop, soda, or cola. You can tell they're not from these parts! :D

*LOL* POP...

I had a friend in highschool from New York that called cokes = pop and your front yard the = front lawn

Once i went to a restaurant and they asked me what FLAVOR soda I wanted.. ... :confused:

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Growing up in South Carolina my grandmother would say yall pick up some "cold dranks" over yonder at the store. Although she was usually referring to RC cola or sweet tea. (They went best with moon pies)

Uabassoon
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
I LOVE RC Cola and moon pies :) yummmm.....

Dogz
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
I usually call it pop. Some people call it soda. Kind of like sucker and lollipop...

ChrisH
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
*LOL* POP...

I had a friend in highschool from New York that called cokes = pop and your front yard the = front lawn.
We call it Pop, :D unless it is actually Coke, then it's ... Coke! :D

And Sara, we call such things front lawn and/or front garden, also backyard and/or back garden! :D

Chris

sirrahned
07-01-2004, 01:07 PM
UMMM..I love coke...Has anybody ever put peanuts in your coke????

Dogz
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by sirrahned
UMMM..I love coke...Has anybody ever put peanuts in your coke????

Peanuts in coke? LOL, it sounds... interesting. I will have to try it one day. :p

I have a question for you Southerners. :p What if you want a Pepsi or a Dr. Pepper? What do you say then? Or is there ONLY coke down there? :o :confused:

Logan
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
I have put peanuts in a "Coke" before, Chris!!!!! :) What a great thing to do!!!!

I call the drinks by name. No "pop" or "soda" for me. If I'm drinking a Diet Coke (my preference), by George, I call it by name!!!! Same for Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, etc. :)

Logan

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dogz

I have a question for you Southerners. :p What if you want a Pepsi or a Dr. Pepper? What do you say then? Or is there ONLY coke down there? :o :confused:

If I am ordering in a restaurant where i have to be specific I will order sprite... or whatever.. but if I am just going to the store for a sprite or mountain dew or whatever.. I would tell someone I am going to buy a coke.. even if i am not actually buying "coke"

:D :D :D

this thread is fun!!

Logan
07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Sara is right. We ask for it by name. :)

jazzcat
07-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Growing up in South Carolina my grandmother would say yall pick up some "cold dranks" over yonder at the store. Although she was usually referring to RC cola or sweet tea. (They went best with moon pies)
ROFLOL!! That is what my Father in Law calls them "cold dranks". He talks about when he was young the loved RC Colas and Moon Pies. LOL!!! That's pretty common here in East TN.

I call it all coke too and then I'll be more specific like Sprite, Mountain Dew...

aly
07-01-2004, 01:41 PM

As Sara said, if ordering at a restaurant, people will order specifics like Sprite or Dr. Pepper.

But if I'm going to my fridge, I'd say "I'm getting a coke" even if I pull out a Diet Dr. Pepper.

And sometimes you'll hear:
"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Sprite please!"

Doggirl
07-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Soda all the way. My friend calls it pop, but I always call it soda.

Dogz
07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by aly
And sometimes you'll hear:
"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Sprite please!"

LOL! That sounds strange to me. Up here, Coke is Coke, Sprite is Sprite...

I actually never knew that people called it a "Coke."

Karen
07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
New Englander here - it's soda.

MariaM
07-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Everyone here calls it pop.

Randi
07-01-2004, 01:52 PM
In Denmark we call all these "sodavand" - vand = water. However, if you drink a Coca Cola, we normally refer to it as a "cola".

Felicia's Mom
07-01-2004, 01:53 PM
I say "pop." If ordering in a resturant, I say the name.

slick
07-01-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't really drink pop/soda/carbonated beverages unless there is booze in it. I find them all too sweet.

In my neck of the woods it's called pop.

Tiah
07-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Coke.
When people say "pop" it makes me cringe. LOL :p

moosmom
07-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Since moving to Michigan, I've learned a totally different language here.

In Connecticut, carbonated beverage is called Soda. In Michigan they call it Pop.

Lollipops in CT are called Suckers in Michigan

Shopping carts in CT are called Buggies in Michigan.

binka_nugget
07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Pop here.

I've never heard someone call it a Soda around here. I never knew other people still did. :o

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Out here in the west :) it is "soda," unless you are asking for something specific.

Cinder & Smoke
07-01-2004, 03:12 PM

Hey all you "Ole Ph@rts" ;) ...

Member When...

"Coke" and "Pepsi" ONLY came as COKE or Pepsi...

"Orange Chush"...

"Dad's" and "A&W" ROOT BEERS...

and when they ALL came in real GLASS Bottles? -
with Bottle CAPS that needed an *Opener* to get the darn thing off??

Then along came CANS - STEEL Cans withOUT "snap-tops"...
so you had to find a Church Key to get into the dang CAN!

"Those were the Daze..." :D

:rolleyes:

/s/ Ole Phred :p

carole
07-01-2004, 03:33 PM
I am a little confused, but in NZ all carbonated drinks would be anything ranging from coke to sprite, to fanta,lemon and paeroa, all sweet fizzy drinks, we don't call them pop, or even sodas, we have ice cream sodas, which are usually sprite and ice cream mixed together.:)

CatMama78
07-01-2004, 03:44 PM
I'm from Texas and they are called Coke :) It wasn't until I went to college out of state that I realized that's not what all sodas were called, lol.

Cincy'sMom
07-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by molucass
the "pop" one is what gets me... lol... that's definitely different! :p

That is what I have always called it :)

I do remember the glass bottles, Phred. It wasn't all that long ago :)

anna_66
07-01-2004, 04:00 PM
I've always called it "pop". Never ever heard of it being called coke:D

Christiansmommy
07-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Soda here. But b/c my husband is a jokester...when asked at a resteraunt what he wants to drink, he always says, "the house cola"...since some places serve Coke and some Pepsi. :)

Robyn

Kfamr
07-01-2004, 04:07 PM
I call it soda...... or carbonated syrup.:p

Whenever we go out to eat my dad always says that he wants a coke. By that he means Coke or Pespi. If they don't have coke, they ask if Pepsi is fine. :p He's learned to say "May I have a cola" instead.:p

aly
07-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by moosmom

In Connecticut, carbonated beverage is called Soda. In Michigan they call it Pop.

I have a lot of extended family in Michigan and an uncle in Connecticut so I've heard all of these. When I was little, I used to just crack up at the way my relatives talk.

I call them suckers btw (as I think most Texans do)

Also, there's the access road vs the feeder road!

Robyn, your husband sounds funny :)

Cinder & Smoke
07-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

I do remember the glass bottles, Phred.

It wasn't all that long ago :)

Oh how I *wish* it wasn't "THAT long ago..." :(

But since the "REAL" Glass Coke Bottles - are now considered :eek: ~
"Antiques" or "Collectables"... :(

Be Careful what you "remember", Amy...

You'll get tossed into :eek: the Ole Ph@rts Gang
here on Pet Talk!

Edwina's Secretary
07-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Generically speaking it is "pop" or "soda pop" my father would say.

Like Kay's father, I've learned to order "diet cola" (even tho I prefer pepsi!)

catland
07-01-2004, 04:21 PM
We call them "pop" or "soft drinks".

Coke and Pepsi are called by their proper names only. You never ask for a Coke and expect a Pepsi. You would definately NEVER ask for a Coke if you were wanting a root beer or any other non-cola beverage.:)

Water is called water.

popcornbird
07-01-2004, 04:44 PM
I call it cough syrup. He he he! Seriously though.....I don't like most sodas at all, and I think Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper.......all of those DARK sodas taste like cough syrup. I don't touch any black/brown soda. I can drink sprite, orange soda, cream soda, etc. if there's nothing else available, but Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, etc. is stuff I won't ever put in my mouth. I can't stand their taste and sweetness and bubbles. Yuck. :p

As to what we call them, I have called them *soda* throughout my life, and NEVER knew there were people that call ALL sodas *Coke*. How wierd! :p I've heard people calling soda *pop*, but never *coke*. Coke for me is just *Coke*, as in Coca-cola. Any other soda is *soda*.

Dogz
07-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

Hey all you "Ole Ph@rts" ;) ...

Member When...

"Coke" and "Pepsi" ONLY came as COKE or Pepsi...

"Orange Chush"...

"Dad's" and "A&W" ROOT BEERS...

and when they ALL came in real GLASS Bottles? -
with Bottle CAPS that needed an *Opener* to get the darn thing off??

Then along came CANS - STEEL Cans withOUT "snap-tops"...
so you had to find a Church Key to get into the dang CAN!

"Those were the Daze..." :D

:rolleyes:

/s/ Ole Phred :p

When we went to South Dakota, we went to an "old time" Western town. They had some different little shops. At the outside of one shop, you could buy pop. They came in glass bottles. Of course they weren't from your time ;) but I thought it was kind of neat.

At our grocery store, we can still get "Crush" and "Dad's" pop in the glass bottle, too. :)

Cinder & Smoke
07-01-2004, 05:02 PM

... They came in glass bottles.

Of course they weren't from your time ;)

:eek:

"... from YOUR time..."

BYTE your Lip!!

:(

carole
07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
You can buy coke a cola in the small 600 ml glass bottles here in NZ.

Dogz
07-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

"... from YOUR time..."

BYTE your Lip!!

:(

I'm just playing with you, Phred!!

Slap my hand please!

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Has anyone seen those little mini soda cans?

Pffft I need about 20 to wake me up some mornings lol

CountryWolf07
07-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Coke!

slleipnir
07-01-2004, 06:07 PM
lol I call it pop. Or just the name of whatever it is (ie: pepsi, coke, mountain due) My dad would be on my case if I called everything coke haha

neko1
07-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I call it soda if I'm talking about it in general.

If I want something, I call it by product name...Pepsi, Sprite, etc.

Me too:)

heinz57_79
07-01-2004, 07:17 PM
I call it soda... my cousins, being from the midwest, call it pop, but with their accents it kinda sounds like PAP. :)

Sirrahsim
07-01-2004, 07:34 PM
I call it soda. None of this southern stuff like caling everything "Coke" for me!

Sheesh, both of my parents are from the south, but I find most things about the south annoying and slow... Where did I come from? Lol

sirrahved
07-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Since moving to Michigan, I've learned a totally different language here...

lol I'm from Michigan... and I've NEVER heard anyone call a shopping cart a buggy! Maybe this is because I'm from Amish country and buggies are rampant. If you said "A buggy ran into my car in the parking lot" it would be too confusing!

sirrahved
07-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Dad-

Every time I've EVER heard you talk about pop, you call it a beer! Or aren't you willing to own up to this?:D

dappledoxie
07-01-2004, 07:50 PM
I call any of them coke. Even weirder b/c I don't care for coke, the actuall drink. I'm a Pepsi person, lol!

sirrahbed
07-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by carole
I am a little confused, but in NZ all carbonated drinks would be anything ranging from coke to sprite, to fanta,lemon and paeroa, all sweet fizzy drinks, we don't call them pop, or even sodas, we have ice cream sodas, which are usually sprite and ice cream mixed together.:)
:D Ok Carole - if you are going to the store to buy an assortment of things like Coke, Sprite and Fanta - collectively, what is it you are buying?? Cold drinks? Carbonated drinks? Soft drinks?:D ;) :p If *I* am going, I am buying an assortment of cokes!!

RubyMutt
07-01-2004, 09:39 PM
I'm a soda girl.

I hear it called both pop and soda around here.

Never Coke though... that's so weird :eek:

QueenScoopalot
07-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Back in the 60's we lived in NewHampshire and I remember that carbonated drinks were called "tonic" - are they still???:rolleyes:

another southerner:D ..you and Laura!! Then where the heck am I from? :confused: :confused: :confused: I call it tonic. Yankee term around these here parts!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-01-2004, 09:46 PM
I was born in western New York and lived there until I was 13. We called it pop up there. When I moved to Florida everyone laughed when I said pop, so I started saying soda. When I got married I started saying coke a lot (for everything) because that's what Justin's family calls soda, and I picked it up.

I only drink sprite though, I don't like any other flavors. Mostly I drink water or milk, or sometimes juices.

leslie flenner
07-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Well I'm from Illinois and when I moved out here to Boston, it was a whole new language! I was used to soda, pop, and soda pop (sodie pop if you say it like Andy on Andy of Mayberry). My first day of work here, a birthday party was being planned. Everyone was already bringing necessary food dishes so I was told to bring the tonic. I asked, "Oh, we're going to have gin and tonic during work time?" I was stared at with no answer. In my head I thought "She doesn't mean hair tonic, does she?" The eventual response was, "Bring a 2 liter of Diet Coke".
Then it was learning:
Illinois vs Boston:
Washrag vs facecloth
liquor store vs packie
grocery shopping vs food shopping
milk shake (has ice cream in it) vs milk shake (is shook milk)
basement vs cellar
lunch vs dinner
rubber band vs elastic
I am sure there must be others but who cares.. Tonic was and still is the most baffling to me (but I SAY it regularly now!) And no ice cream in a milk shake!

QueenScoopalot
07-01-2004, 10:26 PM
When I was younger the tops were loops with a tab that you peeled right off the can. We used to make verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy long chains out of the old style pop tops! Long enough to play jumprope LOL! There were actually books that showed you how to make clothing from the pop tops. Talk about weird! :rolleyes: baby boomer here....

wolf_Q
07-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Calling every carbonated cold beverage a "coke?" Weirdos!! :p

I'll call it a coke If I'm getting coke. If I'm getting sprite (or apple beer which is my carbonated cold beverage of choice) I'll call it by it's name. Other than that it's either soda or pop. I think I say soda more, but I'm not sure.

krazyaboutkatz
07-01-2004, 11:55 PM
I call it soda if I'm generalizing. My mom has always called it pop though.:)
If I want a particular kind of soda then I call it by that name.:)

trayi52
07-01-2004, 11:58 PM
I call them Cokes!

Oh, by the way, could I have a coke please, and make it a Mellow Yellow?

Willie:D

shais_mom
07-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Its a

pop!

QueenScoopalot
07-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
Its a

pop! WELL POP..POPPPPPP..POOOPPPPPPPPPPP...It'll be! It is after all FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND! So POP AWAY!

shais_mom
07-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Since moving to Michigan, I've learned a totally different language here.

My travels to MI have resulted in.

"Down State" means just that, the southern part of the State where in Ohio we say, "down South/or southern Oh". Down South in Michigan mean *cringe* Ohio or lower.

Never heard it called a buggy tho.

A snowmobile/sled to Ohioans is a "machine" to my Michigan relation.

** A friend of mine, her husband works for Coke and She is originally from Georgia. Her son has grown up calling it "Coke". Except for if it is a Pepsi place of business, they said to Him we don't have Coke what do you want and he insisted on a COKE!!
He had to be snuck a Pepsi!! :p

This has given me an idea for another thread... Off to start it....

Killearn Kitties
07-02-2004, 02:18 AM
I never knew that just ordering a soft drink around the world could be so confusing! Here they would normally be called soft drinks, cold drinks or fizzy drinks.

In Glasgow they call it "ginger" though.

carole
07-02-2004, 03:50 AM
I am with you on this one wolf q, why on earth would you call any other drink a coke, coke is coke, and fanta is fanta, strange, we are the same here Killearn Kitties, fizzy drinks or soft drinks or cold drink covers all the different kinds of carbonated drinks.

So tell me when you order at Mcdonalds if you want a sprite you ask for a coke hmmm more confused than ever lol.:confused: :confused: :)

lynnestankard
07-02-2004, 04:25 AM
This is funny!

When I was a kid (way back in the dark ages - old ph@rts gang!!) we called it - MINERAL!! Honestly! Sometimes Pop as well.

Now I refer to whatever I want by name - coke, fanta, sprite, lemonade etc etc.

Dennis - What is Moon pie?

KK - I wonder if the Glaswegian Ginger comes from Ginger Beer - 'cos YEARS ago most people I knew made their own - it was good too!

It nice to know even the Americans call the same thing differently!!! It's not just us!

Lynne

Killearn Kitties
07-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Aah, it maybe does come from Ginger Beer, Lynne! I'm glad you suggested that, because I've been sitting here hoping that no-one was going to ask me the origin of that one.:D

lynnestankard
07-02-2004, 04:50 AM
KK - He he he he - leave it to the oldies!! :D :D

Lynne

Sirrahsim
07-02-2004, 05:58 AM
here in Japan if we are off base we call it Coh-Kah Coh-la. A lot of Japanese people know some english, but apparently Coke and Soda aren't very common terms??

lizzielou742
07-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by carole
I am with you on this one wolf q, why on earth would you call any other drink a coke, coke is coke, and fanta is fanta, strange, we are the same here Killearn Kitties, fizzy drinks or soft drinks or cold drink covers all the different kinds of carbonated drinks.

So tell me when you order at Mcdonalds if you want a sprite you ask for a coke hmmm more confused than ever lol.:confused: :confused: :)

Carole:
In Kentucky, people here say Coke. Usually, it's only used in sentences like, "I'm going to the store to pick up some Cokes" and other general statements. If I go to McDonald's I say, "Can I have a #9 with a Large Sprite please?" Or whatever. Rarely will you actually have people ask for a Coke at a restaurant and mean something else.

I am originally from Dayton, OH and there it's all called "pop." I got laughed at my first few weeks of college in Kentucky and called a "Northerner" or a "Yankee" (yes people still use that term) because I said pop, so I started switching to saying Coke more and more.

Moosmom - my boyfriend says "buggy" too!!! (I say "cart" or "shopping cart"). He's from southeastern Kentucky. He also calls a skunk a "polecat" and his mom calls us "young'ns!!!" :D :D :D :D

sirrahbed
07-02-2004, 08:35 AM
QSA & Leslie - I am glad I found someone who calls them tonic ! I was pretty sure I remembered that from a long time ago but have not heard it again.
This thread has been fun:D

primabella
07-02-2004, 08:35 AM
We call it a soft drink around here, lol. Or by it's brand name.

When we went to Toronto, they searches us before allowing in a theme park and the guard asked me "Do you have any pop cans?" I was like, "What the heck are you talking about?" :p

sirrahned
07-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
This is funny!

Dennis - What is Moon pie?

A moon pie is a sweet treat made in the Southern US. It has been around for about 75 years. A moon pie is made of marshmellow and has a chocolate coating. It was best eaten while drinking a Royal Crown Cola. It is like a country "Caviar" for the masses. You can read it's interesting history at the link below....

http://www.moonpie.com/hist_text.asp

Blessings,

Dennis

sirrahned
07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by sirrahved
Dad-

Every time I've EVER heard you talk about pop, you call it a beer! Or aren't you willing to own up to this?:D

;)

sirrahned
07-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Ref: Why did I call coke "beer"?
;)

I used to tease my fellow teachers who were all "tea totalers". However, I loved to watch their reactions when I called coke "beer". I would say, "I had a "beer" before the morning staff meeting". They would all looked pleasently shocked. It was all in good fun. At one staff meeting they brought me a Root Beer.:)

By the way, I really was a tea totaler too while I worked at that school.

Erika
07-02-2004, 09:35 AM
We always call it pop, but i have a few friends that used to live in FL that call it soda.

lynnestankard
07-02-2004, 02:36 PM
A moon pie is a sweet treat made in the Southern US. It has been around for about 75 years. A moon pie is made of marshmellow and has a chocolate coating. It was best eaten while drinking a Royal Crown Cola. It is like a country "Caviar" for the masses. You can read it's interesting history at the link below....

http://www.moonpie.com/hist_text.asp
Blessings,
Dennis

Many thanks Dennis - all I can say is - Moon pie sounds delicious!:D Many thanks for the link.

Lynne

stacwase
07-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Pop!!

I used to make fun of my husband for calling it "soda". My family still laughs at him for that.

sirrahbed
07-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Many thanks Dennis - all I can say is - Moon pie sounds delicious!:D Many thanks for the link.

Lynne

SHEESH! I have been WANTING a moonpie ever since he wrote about them this morning:rolleyes: Soft cookies - gooey marshmallow middle - sweet candy coating :D He said he'll run get some when he is done working on a computer project. They used to make them with a maple coating but no more:( Those were my favorites - but I'll take 'em in vanilla or chocolate thank you! I'll even have a coke with it! Make mine a Dr. Pepper;)

catnapper
07-02-2004, 03:09 PM
I call it YUCK!
:D I used to drink too much of it so gave it up for Lent one year and haven't been able to tolerate the taste ever since. I wish I could do that with iced tea and ice cream!

LOL... really, everyone around here calls it soda, but when I lived in western Pennsylvania, they called it pop.

tatsxxx11
07-02-2004, 03:18 PM
In the northeast (most of it anyway) Coka, Pepsi, 7Up etc are all considered sodas. If you go to a store or restaurant you might ask "what kind of soda do you have." If you know, you ask for one by name.

Most of my friends from the midwest call it pop, which we all found funny!:D Never heard of a moon pie till I moved to Mass. They are BIG here:D But no candy type coating on these; they're more like a SuzyQ...devils food cake filled with a gooey marshmallow filling.

In NYC, if you ask for a soda, you get an ice cream soda. Anyone ever hear of an egg cream?:D (Ice cream soda without the ice cream)

I also found that anywhere outside of the New York area, a Danish is called a sweet roll!

And up here, milk shakes are frappes but they've never heard of a malt!

And sprinkles on your ice cream cone...Jimmies!:D

I think we already did the hero, sub, hoagie, grinder poll!:D

davidpizzica
07-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by molucass
the "pop" one is what gets me... lol... that's definitely different! :p If you are from Pittsburgh, EVERYBODY calls Coke, Pepsi, etc. POP!

cocker_luva
07-03-2004, 05:32 PM
up here near chi-town, we call it pop in general, but if specifically we call it by its name.

davidpizzica
07-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I call it YUCK!
:D I used to drink too much of it so gave it up for Lent one year and haven't been able to tolerate the taste ever since. I wish I could do that with iced tea and ice cream!

LOL... really, everyone around here calls it soda, but when I lived in western Pennsylvania, they called it pop. Catnapper, you were a good western Pennsylvanian!! lol lol!

davidpizzica
07-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
I've always called it "pop". Never ever heard of it being called coke:D Anna 66, it's pop in Pittsbugh, too!

Edwina's Secretary
07-03-2004, 06:10 PM
"Down State" means just that, the southern part of the State where in Ohio we say, "down South/or southern Oh". Down South in Michigan mean *cringe* Ohio or lower

In Illinois, "Downstate" means any place in the state of Illinois that is not Chicago or its suburbs. My hometown is geographically north of Chicago, but politically and socially "Downtstate"!

catfancier
09-28-2004, 01:37 AM
To elaborate on NZer Carole's comments - collectively, all our 'soda' is known as fizzy drink, fizzy or just fizz. We call each brand by its own name when we are specifying.
When I lived in NM, I'm pretty sure that they called it 'soda'.

I cannot understand how people can drink Dr Pepper or root beer! (To me, root beer tastes like fizzy mouthwash!) No offense intended. Cultural differences :)

We are still able to get fizzy in glass bottles in 250ml, 330ml and I think 600ml sizes, then it comes in plastic bottles at 1.5litres and 2.25litre sizes. I know that in the States they are available in 3 litre bottles as well!

guster girl
09-28-2004, 03:02 AM
It drives me completely bananas when someone says a "coke" but, then specifies another brand. I'm from South Carolina and can't remember for sure what I called it growing up. But, now, I call it soda. I live in Texas, though, and, hear the whole "I wanna Coke. Dr.Pepper that is." thing. Omg. It seriously makes me want to poke my own eyeballs out. ha ha. ;)

GraciesMommy
09-28-2004, 05:58 AM
I am originally from Arkansas and now in Texas for 5 years..they are all cokes to me..always have been and always will be!
And we have mashed tators..not creamed...fried green tomatoes are a must in Arkansas...can't get em here in TX tho...lol
Arkansas is the tomatoe state...they don't know a thing other than hot house here!

teenster3
09-28-2004, 12:59 PM
OK.....laugh at me!!!!!
My friends & I all call it....wanna guess?
"POP" all the way baby!!!!

teenster3
09-28-2004, 01:02 PM
***OK......LET ME ASK THIS......
What do you call a "mixed drink"?
I always LAUGH when one of my friends says: "Let's go out and get a "COCKTAIL"!!!!:D :) :p ***

PJ's Mom
09-28-2004, 01:22 PM
I live in Texas, and I call it "soda". To me, Coke is a brand name, and doesn't include every bubbly drink ever made. :D

micki76
09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm from Texas and they're all just cokes.

Teenster, I usually just call it a drink, or I specify which drink, Sex on the Beach, Pina Colada, Margarita. I hate the word 'cocktail'. :p

Thirsty now...

ParNone
09-28-2004, 02:04 PM
I personally think it's very logical to refer to them as "Cokes". Afterall Coke was the first, the rest are just imitators. And this is from someone who's a DP fan, not Coke. I view it as very similar to asking someone to Xerox something vs Copy.

Par...

snappy
09-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I call it a Soda - but then that is what I grew up with in south Jersey. Here in Ohio - it is all Pop to them.....I keep looking for their father ;)

As for the 'cocktails'.......I call them 'Adult Beverages'. After all - you are supposed to be an adult when you imbibe in one, and you are supposed to remember to act like an adult after the fact! :D

davidpizzica
09-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by teenster3
OK.....laugh at me!!!!!
:D Teenster3, in Pittsburgh, it's "POP" al the way baby!!!

nibblets
09-28-2004, 03:58 PM
I say Coke.
If I'm going to buy some at a store I say Pop.

My cousins in Illinois say SoDee.

Jods
09-28-2004, 04:23 PM
POP...
coke is a specific kind here
mmm I think I shall get myself a choose up! (lemon lime pop) yummmmmm

moosmom
09-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Before I moved to Michigan, I called it soda. Here in the midwest, they call it pop. I still call it soda and get strange looks.

guster girl
09-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
I personally think it's very logical to refer to them as "Cokes". Afterall Coke was the first, the rest are just imitators. And this is from someone who's a DP fan, not Coke. I view it as very similar to asking someone to Xerox something vs Copy.

Par...

Root beer came after Coke, too? Was Coke really the first one? I didn't even know that. Hm. It's just one of my pet peeves, sorry. And, as for alcoholic beverages, I usually just say "let's go out for a drink." I generally only drink shots, but, when I do have something else, I usually just say mixed drinks. BUt, at the bar, I always specify....martini, cape cod, etc. But, if I said Malibu Rum and Coke and then specified the kind of Coke I wanted was actually Sprite, they'd prolly spit in my drink. ;) ha ha. This thread is great.

swimma253
09-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

another southerner:D ..you and Laura!!

nahh! Its not just you southerners! I refuse to say, Ill have a pepsi please.... :rolleyes: thats another thing to add to the pet peeves list! :p lol

teenster3
09-28-2004, 06:36 PM
david p quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK.....laugh at me!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teenster3, in Pittsburgh, it's "POP" al the way baby!!!

**DAVID......
Glad I'm NOT ALONE in this!
So, what do YOU call a "mixed drink"?

cali
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
around here its usually "pop", often "coke", and occasionally "soft drink". :p any lemon lime cola is called "sprite" and some places will aske you is 7up is ok lol at a restraunt though you call it pop or soft drink, if you call is coke you will get a coke lol or you will get asked if pepsi is ok lol but for the most part the word is "pop" differnts kinds are like "orange pop" kinda thing you will NEVER hear someone call it a "soda" around here lol so thats the one that sound goofy to me ;) but really if you think about any word or name to long it will start to sound really goofy lol

davidpizzica
09-28-2004, 08:03 PM
david p quote:
OK.....laugh at me!!!!!

Teenster3, in Pittsburgh, it's "POP" al the way baby!!!

**DAVID......
Glad I'm NOT ALONE in this!
So, what do YOU call a "mixed drink"? Teenster3, even though I
don't drink alcohol, I'd still call it a mixed drink!!

sammy101
09-28-2004, 08:12 PM
"Pop" for me! i hate the word Soda Pop..no offence to anyone:p most canadians say "pop'!

ParNone
09-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Hey GusterGirl!

Rootbeer does predate Coke, but Coke is the first Carbonated Beverage. Rootbeer doesn't add carbonation to its recipe, until after Coke does. So the Real Thing really is Coke. :) I just wanted to point out that there is a logical reason for why people call'em "Cokes".

Par...

Felicia's Mom
09-28-2004, 08:16 PM
I call it pop , The only time I don't is at a resturant. There I say: "Coke or Pepsi, whichever you have."

christa
09-29-2004, 07:16 AM
In eastern Kentucky, it's POP! Bottles of pop are the best!

I crave pop . . . I quit drinking it in June and I crave it like candy!

CamCamPup33
09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
We call everything and anything Coke. :p

Coke/Pepsi taste pretty much the same to me, so i just call it coke. Sometimes when im at a resturant i'll say "Coke" and they will ask me, "All we have is pepsi" and i really did mean pepsi. :p

chrissycat21
09-29-2004, 08:00 PM
I call it pop if I'm not talking about anything specific, other than that I'll call it by its name; coke, sprite, pepsi, etc.

cocker_luva
09-29-2004, 09:31 PM
pop

RobiLee
09-29-2004, 09:33 PM
pop...or by its brand name.

Tonya
09-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Haha, this thread is funny. It sounds like some of you think "Soda" is hillbillyish or outdated. It is the opposite here! We call it "soda" and we laugh when people say "pop". Occasionally, people will say "soft drink", but that's usually restraunt employees. I hear people call it "coke" too.

flamepony12
09-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Haha, this thread is funny. It sounds like some of you think "Soda" is hillbillyish or outdated. It is the opposite here! We call it "soda" and we laugh when people say "pop". Occasionally, people will say "soft drink", but that's usually restraunt employees. I hear people call it "coke" too.

you took those words from me! :shrug: :p i guess us "californians" just basically call it soda.... :p

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-29-2004, 10:57 PM
I call it "pop".

Miranda_Rae
10-22-2004, 12:13 PM
We always call it pop...I think I was somewhere where they called it soda, and they asked me if I wanted soda, and I was like huh? :p Its interesting how its different in different spots. :)

wolflady
10-22-2004, 12:27 PM
LOL LOL What a funny thread! It is so interesting to see what people call "coke" in all the different places!

Since I live in California, people always laugh when I ask if they want a "pop" or a "coke". Most people out here call it soda, but since I'm from Indiana originally we always called it "pop" or "coke". Funny! I thought I was the only one that called pop "coke" as a general term. I don't care if it's a pepsi, sprite, root beer, or whatever...it's all coke! :D LOL LOL If I ask for a coke, I usually don't even mean Coke, I just want a pop! LOL LOL :D
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/pepsi.gif

tatsxxx11
10-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm with Tonya. In the tri-state area, NY, NJ, CT, any carbonated drink, exept seltzer, is called soda. If you want a Coke, you ask for Coke, or Pepsi, or 7-Up, whichever one you want. I remember the first time I read someone refer to soda as "pop" and thought it so goofy:D Then again, I found out that in other parts of the country, a Danish is called a "sweet roll." It's a big country!:D