PDA

View Full Version : Dog Guards Missing Toddler

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Has anyone else seen this story? Apparently, a 2-year-old girl went missing overnight and was found being guarded by her dog, Thunder, a black lab. Good boy, Thunder!

(There's a slideshow at the site.)

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/3477398/detail.html

Missing Toddler Found Guarded By Family Dog
Girl, Dog Disappeared From Family's Back Yard

POSTED: 11:25 am EDT June 30, 2004

BETHLEHEM, Ind. -- Some 90 people searched through the night for a missing 2-year old girl before she was found safe Wednesday morning with a family dog on an Ohio River bank.

Daisy Smith was found more than a mile from her home by a Clark County conservation officer taking part in a search that began after she and the dog disappeared from the family's back yard about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Conservation Officer Andy Crozier found the girl about 6:30 a.m. after following dog tracks that led him to the family's Labrador retriever at the site about 25 miles northeast of Louisville, Ky.

"I found the tracks and just followed them," Crozier told The Evening News of Jeffersonville. "When I first found the girl she appeared fine, but obviously scared. The dog was a little hesitant to let me get near her, after I made up to him a little bit he let me bring her to safety."

Emergency management workers examined the girl at the home of her parents -- Les and Cheryl Smith.

"You couldn't believe how happy I was when I heard," Les Smith said. "My wife called me at work last night and told me what had happened, and ever since then you can't even describe what's going through your mind. When they told me that they found her, it was unbelievable."

Conservation Officer Mac Spainhour said the family dog was to thank for the girl's safety.

"This girl has a guardian angel," Spainhour said. "And it's the dog. He stayed with her throughout the night, and in the end he led us to her."

Cheshirekatt
07-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Ah, that story warmed my heart. :)

gini
07-01-2004, 11:06 AM
How did a two year old get a "mile" away from her home. That is an awfully long way for a little one to travel.

Thank God she was alright!

christrev
07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
That's a lovely story, I dread to think what would have happened if the dog hadn't been with her all night. they must be really close friends.

I hope that dog gets a BIG treat for looking after his "baby"

chris;)

lute
07-01-2004, 12:40 PM
one of the people that looked for the child is a friend of mine. he told me about it the day after it happend. ofcoarse i had to point out the dog in the story, and how dogs are so wonderful.:D

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-01-2004, 12:45 PM
I read that story in the paper this morning..

WHAT A GOOD DOG!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Good puppy!!!

Cincy'sMom
07-01-2004, 03:52 PM
We saw that on the 11 o'colck news last night. I told Ralph, one more reason to have dogs :)

Jadapit
07-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Great story!! Awhile back a little boy and his family were camping and the little boy and his puppy (the pup was a pit) took off and they got lost. The puppy led the boy right back to where they were camping. Both the pup and little boy were tired but other than that they were just fine.

Dogs are just awesome arent they!!!:)