PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an outdoor pond?

teenster3
06-30-2004, 09:38 PM
We put a pond in our backyard going on 2 years ago & we can't keep the darn thing clean! We bought the kit from Menards (it's a 300 gallon kit). We have 6 Koi fish in there & we want to make sure to keep the water clean & safe for them as well.
Does anyone know about them & if so, how do you keep them clean? We've tried chemicals & water lillies but they haven't seemed to help much! The algae grows so fast it's hard to keep a handle on it.
Any suggestions???:confused:

BitsyNaceyDog
06-30-2004, 10:04 PM
We have a small fish pond outside, only 4 gold fish in it and the only thing that seems to keep it clean is this (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9655&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030158&bmUID=1088650773698) external UV light. We has an internal one (in our filter) but it was not near as effective. It's kind of expensive but well worth it.

dukedogsmom
06-30-2004, 10:14 PM
just the swimmin' pond

Logan
06-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Oh dear. I am no help because I don't have a pond.....YET.....but I sure want one!! One day, maybe, I'll have a pond.

Hope you get it figured out. I am a member of a Pond Group on MSN. Maybe someone there could help you. Here is a link:

http://groups.msn.com/TheOldGardenPond

Obviously, you will have to join to be able to participate, but maybe you can get some answers there.

Good luck!

Logan

Fox-Gal
06-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Yeah we have one. It takes us two filters, one on each end to keep it half way clean and lots of plants. ;) Ours is out in the open so it get sun all day and that just makes the algea worce. They do sell this stuff that you pour into your pond that blocks alot of the sun rays, helping with the algea problem. I wish I could remember the name of it, I never know till I have to order it again. :o I get it from Dr. Foster and Smith online pond catalog, if you want to check out there. They aslo sell this hay like stuff that helps.

Do you have fountain's in it to move the water around? That also helps. The filter doesn't move the water enough some times. Also it depends on how many gallons of water a min it filter. Even though it might say it can handle the amount of water you have, we found out that's not always true. Always go bigger.

Thats about all I can think of right now, the pond is more of my husbands thing.

kimlovescats
07-01-2004, 07:02 AM
YEP ... gotta have a UV filter ... very worth the $$$$

You can see it in the back ... the green cylinder thing and the hoses that go into the pond!
;)

catmandu
07-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I would love one, but the Interior,of the Hotel, and the Food comes first!

Dogz
07-01-2004, 01:07 PM
We have quite a large pond in our yard. We haven't done anything to keep it clean yet though because it is far enough away from the house. My mom really wants to build a bridge across it. She also wants to get some of the things named here to keep it clean and put fish in it. One day. ;)

Fox-Gal gave a lot of good ideas. I will have to keep this thread in mind so I can use it when the day comes.