PDA

View Full Version : Argh! :( Daphne problems...

wolfie
06-30-2004, 04:13 PM
She's back now, but Daphne ran away - AGAIN. :( I didn't even know that she was outside. The invisible fence is just not working for her. She doesn't care about the shock.

*sigh* When I let her out I stay out with her, or at least keep an eye on her, but it's so hard keeping track of where she is when there are 5 other people in the house that let her out. I try to be the only one to let her out - but that's impossible. I asked my mom about getting a real fence and she said that she'd have an answer by the fall. Well what are we supposed to do until then!? :(

I think she runs away because of her 'boyfriend' - a dog that lives the next block over. She loves him so much, and she spends hours waiting for him to come into the yard, so she can play with him. But my grandma shoos him away. So she probably thinks that the only way she can play with him is to run away? I think...

From now on I will be tying her up or walking her on a leash outside. And telling my family to do the same.

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe if I take her for a run every day? Or does she need a playmate, so she won't have to run away to play with another dog? Cocoa doesn't like to play. Daphne paces and whines when she's in the house, and when she's outside she sleeps and waits for her boyfriend the whole time. Or runs away. :(

Kfamr
06-30-2004, 04:42 PM
I think the only thing is to get a real fence or go out with her everytime you let her out.

MariaM
06-30-2004, 04:49 PM
If you do get a real fence, make sure it is a good one. There is no point on spending alot of time making a fence that won't keep her out. Our fence can't always hold Major. I mean, it's definately high enough, but there are places where the ground is uneven, that Major can dig, and does dig, under.

molucass
06-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Those invisible fences hardly work anyway....

One of my friends who works at a vet clinic told me about these people who brought their beagle in who had been hit by a car... And they just couldn't understand how the dog got out of the invisible fence... :rolleyes:

I hope poor Daphne doesn't end up getting hit.

I agree with Kay, you need to just go with her everytime she goes out.

We have a tall 8 ft. wooden privacy fence that they can't get out of, but I still go out everytime my pups go out. I don't want to take any chances of anything happening. :(

It probably would help though to take her for a long walk/run or just take her out and play with her a lot everyday. It will help tire her out. That's what I have to do with Felony or he becomes destructive in the house and gets in to everything unless he's in the crate of course...

Good luck with that pretty girl. :)

christrev
06-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Wolfie, my sympathies with Daphne's escapes, it is so worrying whe our dpgs go "walk about" I would definitly go ahead with a proper fence, but as said before make sure it's strong enough to hold her.

Another alternative is to tie her up with a very long lead, but I don't really like to see a dog tied up so.......

I good long walk each day will really help to occupy her and keep her fit and alert, with plenty of opportunity to play and run about etc.......not just a walk round the block 2 or 3 times a day on a lead. Keep her occupied is the key & perhaps even take the "boyfriend" on walks with you?!!

Anyway hope things get better for you. Chris

primabella
06-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Oh no! :( I think the best thing to suggest is to get a real fence. I hope your mom goes for the idea sooner than the fall.

Do you allow her to play with her boyfriend at all? Like, face to face? And it sounds like she does have a lot of energy so maybe daily walks could help her out too..? Good luck.

wolfie
06-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone. Hopefully we'll get a real fence soon. Until then, I'll try taking her for long walks a lot.

Originally posted by primabella
Do you allow her to play with her boyfriend at all? Like, face to face?

I do when I'm out with her, but my grandma doesn't, and she's usually the one outside.

stacwase
07-01-2004, 08:05 AM
I understand how difficult it can be, trying to do something when there are five people who aren't cooperating. It can be so frustrating.

Maybe you can talk to your Mom about setting a new rule - "if you let her out, then you have to go catch her and bring her back in". People might be less likely to let her out if they have to spend their time trying to catch her.