PDA

View Full Version : ? for animal rights vegetarians

lv4dogs
06-30-2004, 03:45 PM
This ? is for vegetarians that are vegetarians only because of the humanity for animals. If you are a vegatarian for other reasons (diet, health, texture or whatever) please if you have to answer at least add that you are not a vegetarian or a vegetarian for that purpose.

Do you peoples kill bugs? Ya know like mosquitos, flies, fleas etc? Or do you release them in the wild? Or do you only kill certain bugs?

I'm not trying to start an argument or provoke a fight of any kind, just something I have always wondered.

lynnestankard
06-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi I'm not a vegetarian - I hover!! Only eating meat about once a fortnight.

I DO kill "dirty" bugs i.e. fleas, flies etc.

I DON'T kill spiders, ladybirds (I think you call them ladybugs). Daddy-long-Legs etc etc.

I don't like the way animals are treated from birth to the abattoir.
The inhumanity visited on farm animals is gross. Their death is ghastly and mind-blowingly cruel.

Lynne

carole
06-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Sorry I am also not a vegetarian, I do only eat white meat, chicken to be exact, and to be honest if that chicken was killed in front of me, I would no longer be eating it.

I don't agree with how we eat animals, but I was raised on a farm and knew only that, I am unable to digest red meat, so that is probably the only reason I donot eat it anymore, I feel guilt all the time, I just try to put it at the back of my mind, and to be honest i do enjoy the taste of chicken.

I love my veges, but I cannot imagine just living on them alone, but I wish I could , it would ease my conscience some.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place it seems, mixed feelings and lots of guilt.

I Do kill flies and cockroaches,
ants,that sort of bugs, but spiders, beetles, praying mantis etc, and anything else get to live in my house,

lv4dogs
07-01-2004, 03:33 PM
just bumping

G.P.girl
07-02-2004, 01:01 AM
i am a vegeatrian, not only for animal rights reasons, but that's part of it, and i do kill bugs, if they aren't too big that it would make a big squishy noise,

heinz57_79
07-02-2004, 01:09 AM
I'm not a vegetarian, but I do tend to stay away from red meat as a general rule of thumb. Every once in a while I"ll get the hankering for a burger or a steak or something, then I'll indulge. :) But *I* don't usually kill bugs... I'll leave that to my gf. :D I don't work well with anything that has more than 4 legs. We have these beetles here now that are a good 4" long... if I wasnt afraid they'd jump up and try to eat me I'd probably kill them. Instead I hand the broom to my gf and let her do the honors. If she pushes it outside, great, whatever. Usually we'll try to get the bug outside before we kill it. The one exception to this rule is ROACHES!! If I see a roach, it WILL die. I don't care if I have to use the entire can of RAID. It will be dead. Very dead. Beyond dead. I will use RAID, and torch the sucker if i have to. :D

Kirsten
07-02-2004, 03:16 AM
I am a vegetarian for animal rights reasons, and I'm not killing bugs, spiders or other insects as long as they are harmless. I have to admit I'm killing wasps when they come to into my apartment because I'm terribly afraid of their stings, so I'm doing that to not only protect myself, but also my cats. And sometimes I'm killing mosquitos during the night when they are bugging me, but most of the time my cats do that for me! ;)

Kirsten