PDA

View Full Version : Raw Diet Questions...

DogLover9501
06-30-2004, 03:44 PM
I am seriously thinking about switching Jasper to raw food, for his skin, and health.

I really need some support, as I have none, not even my vet, or my mom.

I just have a few questions...

Like what ammount to give him?

I have more, please all just add suggestions/opinions..anything, on raw diet.

Thanks

DogLover9501
06-30-2004, 06:21 PM
:( Bump, nobody feeds raw?

GoldenRetrLuver
06-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Oooh, this is the perfect question for Ashley [binka_nugget] LOL. She's a pro at this stuff. :)

DogLover9501
06-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Okay, thanks Julie, I'll PM her ;)

Shelteez2
06-30-2004, 07:42 PM
I suggest you look at this site and read through the Frequently Asked Questions. An added bonus is it's also a boxer site :)

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

Also I can't remember where in Canada you are located, but here is a list of raw suppliers in Canada. Maybe one of them is close to you.

http://www.lepus.reach.net/NRS.html

Good luck in your research........

I'll leave you with this link to a good friend of the shelties who was raised on a raw diet.....

http://www.geocities.com/shelteez_2/Jackson.html

guster girl
06-30-2004, 09:19 PM
You know that I feed Finn raw! :) I go more with the prey model diet, though, but, there are many diets to chose from. It depends on what you're comfortable with. I really just feel good feeding Finn this way. I can't explain it, but, it just seems right. I never felt right feeding dog food, even when I was young. Do a lot of research, join some raw feeding forums. There are some good ones on yahoo. I even joined anti-raw feeding forums, just to get both perspectives. I never posted, just read. As far as the amount to feed, it's more important to learn the ratios of what you're feeding (I feed raw meaty bones, meat, and, organs, I can't remember the exact ratios, though, that I read online) as how much you feed really depends on the dog. I know the guideline is something like 2 to 5% of the dog's weight, depending on the activity level of the dog. Finn gets about 2.5 to 3 pounds a day. His metabolism is ridiculous, though. Just experiment and watch Jasper's waistline. :) That's your best guideline. I think you'll like the switch! I've never really paid a lot of attention to breed specific diets, but, again, it's whatever you're comfortable with, because it is something that you oftentimes are alone in your endeavors. I'm lucky to have a vet that is a raw food advocate. Maybe you can look around for one that is, too.....Good luck!

DogLover9501
06-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Tasha-Thanks for those links, they're really helpful, and Jackson is gorgeous ;)

Kari-You and I have talked alot about raw diet ;), so are you saying that whatever I choose to feed is okay?? I mean as long as it has the nutrience? I seem to keep worrying that Im going to do something wrong!

I am very confused because of all the different opinions, and I don't know what feels right because I don't know much about any of this yet.

Like, I have heard that it takes 2 weeks to gradually switch them from kibble to raw, then I hear that its better to just switch them right over, cold turkey??

Also, do I mix veggies with the meat/RMB's?? Or do I seperate them? Do I need to add any extra things?? Like vitamins, oil/seeds???

I really hope I get the hang of all this, and I hope I can soon trust that I know enough to make the switch!

All suggestions/advice is very welcome

trayi52
06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
I don't have any suggestions, I was going to say you might talk to guster girl. You know this might work for Jasper. I hope it does, that would be indeed a miracle to finally find something that made his itching go away!

Willie:)

binka_nugget
06-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Haha, Julie! I've actually starting forgetting some things :o. I really should start researching again.

I generally fed 2.5% of their body weight. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I'd switch cold turkey. A lot of raw feeders say that mixing kibble with raw food is a big no-no cause they take different amounts of time to digest.

Feed whatever way you're most comfortable with. Not all meals have to be balanced. The idea is to feed a balanced diet over a period of time. When I fed raw, I mixed veggies with muscle meat for breakfast and RMB's, eggs, organs and such for dinner. But it's perfectly fine to feed one meal full of veggies and fruits and one meal with meat and bones. Whichever way works for you.

You don't HAVE to add supplements. Some do, some don't. I didn't but I probably will once we feed raw again.

I love our vet. He isn't against it or for it. He's completely neutral and only provides the information I need.

I wouldn't put my hopes up too high though. This isn't a miracle diet so Jasper may not get better. It varies. Kai and Kaedyn did very well on it. I'm dying to put them back on but we can't afford a much needed second freezer.

Cali knows a lot more about the diet than I do. Cloverfdx will probably be able to give you some good pointers too.

guster girl
07-01-2004, 12:05 AM
All I meant about feeding what you're comfortable with is to just go with your gut. And, do lots of research. I've talked to several people that have seen wolves, foxes, coyotes etc eat their livestock and have never seen them eat the stomach contents (like I had originally heard), so, I don't give veggies anymore as a daily necessary thing. It's not going to hurt them if you do, but, they really don't digest them all that well. You literally have to make it into a mush for them to get anything out of it. But, Finn gets pieces of veggies every once in awhile, if I am eating them. I haven't heard any substantial arguments that they need the veggies. It adds time preparing the veggies, but, if you think it's the right thing, then, go for it. :P

cali
07-01-2004, 08:49 AM
you should know I feed raw by now lol

Like, I have heard that it takes 2 weeks to gradually switch them from kibble to raw, then I hear that its better to just switch them right over, cold turkey??

the dogs age it what contributes to this, jasper I think(assuming I remeber his age correctly) should be old enugh to fast for 24 hours, to rid his body of the kibble toxins then switch cold turkey. going gradually is best for a dog that is not old enugh to fast, or for some reason cant.

I mixed veggies with muscle meat for breakfast and RMB's, eggs, organs and such for dinner. But it's perfectly fine to feed one meal full of veggies and fruits and one meal with meat and bones. Whichever way works for you.

yup, this is what we do, some dogs are more likely to eat the veggie mix with organ meats mixed in, but its not mandatory or anything. I would also feed fish at LEAST once a week, just canned fish like tuna and salmon is fine you just mix this in with the veggie slop. the meaty bones and veggie slop should be fed seperatly, some people feed bones in the morning and veggie slop at night, thats easier for them, the other way round is easier for us because my mom does not work till 1:30pm, however we do a lot in the evenings and the bones are quicker.

as for how much, dont bather, measure just takes up extra time, its really not that difficult to look at what your are pouring or look at bone and go, "ok this lookes about jaspers size.." lol we have 5 dogs to feed we dont bother measuring we just ay for example "this looks like a happy meal..." lol the idea of feeding a balenced diet every meal is ony somthing kibble companies made up to make every other diet sound bad. :rolleyes: it worked too, now people actually believe that lol I mean do you make sure every one of YOUR meals is complee and balanced every single day? no, what you eat balances out over time thats the idea with the raw diet(as someone already mentioned)