PDA

View Full Version : My First Day At The Shelter!!

Laura's Babies
06-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I went by to set up a schedule for my helping at the shelter today and she was SO glad to see me and needed my help TODAY! There are only 2 people that actually work in there, one at the desk and one in the kennels and they were totally swamped and snowed under today.. So, I was there for 5 1/2 hours, cleaning the kitty cages to start and when done, I went back into the main building and the place was packed with people looking for pets!! I helped one sweet old couple find the baby kitty that they wanted to replace their old cat they just lost. They wanted a BABY, Baby and actually wanted a tabby but once they saw this little black and white, they HAD to have her. I think it was going to be HIS kitty more than hers because he grabbed that baby and would not let her have it and he walked out carrying it. It was just so sweet! Her name is "Baby".. I took 1 lady that wanted a medium size dog that was housebroken and she found her new baby to replace the one she had just lost too and took that beautiful dog home with a stop off at Pet Smart to get supplies for him. Then there was "the family", Mom, Dad, and the sweetiest little blond girl , about 4, that wanted a small dog and they found thier puppy and took her home.. My FIRST day and I SHOWED 3 and ALL three got ADOPTED!!

The animal controll officer was in and out bringing in, mainly cats and he brought in one that reduced the office lady, Sherry, to tears. The cat was old and blind, she did a quick eval of the cat and it's eyes and gums were yellow and it was so full of fluid that it just broke Sherries heart and she stared crying. That baby is not going to make the night she thinks. Then there was this other new one, a georgous long hair calico with a bob tail that was frightened to death... And there are tone of stories there as you all know, all day, in any shelter, sad, sad, stories of unwanted, uncared for pets...

The pretty calico that came in today while I was there. (They hope someone is looking for her)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p0c4f1d8bdeab77acd45a9d56aeb9ff44/f80c71c2.jpg

Of coarse, kittens galore. I let these out to run and play while I was cleaning their cage and they had a ball!! When I came back to take pictures, they were DEMANDING that I take them out again!!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p54b1062296c630397e25099bf5b6d2c5/f80c71b8.jpg

This is the "Cat Hut" where they keep the kitties. This is where I worked today.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p38e069c27dc69cbba43466d42f485c07/f80c71d3.jpg

I am happily wore out! Midnight update... Doing 100% better and I am letting her out under close supervision to "mingle" with my other babies and so far, so good!

kimlovescats
06-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh Laura ... sounds like you had a very productive first day! You are going to make such a difference... gosh, you already have! You helped 3 babies find their loving homes!!!!:D Yes, there will be very much sadness, and it will be emotionally draining for you ... but remember we are always here for you to "dump" on!

Love and ((((HUGS))))

Kim;)

jazzcat
06-30-2004, 03:52 PM
Wow, one day and look at the difference you've already made for several lucky animals. I hope everyday is as positive for you and the animals.

I'm very glad to hear that Midnight is better and mingling. We need some good news around here.

catcrazylady
06-30-2004, 04:15 PM
I can't believe you just waltz in there and get three adoptions in one day!!! That is the most wonderful thing I have ever heard!! I knew you were and Angel and you helped prove it today!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
It's hard work cleaning cages so I know you put in a full day! Those kittens are adorable! Don't they crack you up climbing up the cages like that? It's really not funny because I would much rather see them free and happy in a home but kittens seem to make fun no matter where they are.
I'm glad you had a good day and I hope you have many many more! I know the kitties have to be thrilled that your there!:) :) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Wow, what a day! You go to just set up a schedule and next thing you know you've spent 5 1/2 hours there! :eek:

Big congratulations on the 3 adoptions - way to go! :D

That poor calico looks scared to death. I sure hope her owners miss her come for her soon. :( And yes, those kittens are adorably hilarious! Climbing all over each other, but it is sad too because the reason they're climbing all over each other is to get attention. :( But they're adorable so I'm sure they'll be adopted soon.

Good on you for volunteering like this! :D

CatMama78
06-30-2004, 05:34 PM
You are doing great work :). I think it would be very trying and hard to hear all the sad things that go in in a rescue place, yet rewarding to help so many animals. I honestly don't know if I would have the emotional stability to be a volunteer.....I have such admiration for all you rescue workers :)

And of course I'm glad to hear Midnight is doing very, very well.