PDA

View Full Version : Where would Scout's spay incision scar be on her belly?

jazzcat
06-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Since all my girls came to me already spayed I don't know for sure where the scar would be. I'm asking because finally this week Scout has decided that belly rubs are good things but when I rub not too far down from her rib cage right in the middle I feel a small mass.

The rescue told me when I adopted her that she was pregnant when they spayed her and then she got a seroma or hematoma or something like that - something like a blood clot - on the incision and had to go back into surgery.

I'm just wondering if this place I feel is the scar. She doesn't act like it hurts when I feel around on it and it's kind of soft and under the skin, I think.

Like I said, she just this week finally decided belly rubs are good so that is why I'm just feeling it now. Should I worry? I took her to the vet last month and he gave her two thumbs up.

Lacey
06-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Ah! This is one I can help with! Let's see... *scrounges for early Zelda pics*

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v127/lacey5480/zelda_shaved.jpg

That should be about the area the spay scar would be in. :D

jazzcat
06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Ah, thank you Lacey! That is right where I feel it so that must just be the scar. Good to know. Jazz won't let me rub her belly much so I couldn't feel it on her and I don't feel a scar or anything on Disney.

That was very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to post the picture and Zelda is a wonderful model.

catcrazylady
06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
You couldn't have had a better model with a cuter belly to show off her scar!
I'm so glad you are now getting Scout belly rubs. That is wonderful!!:) :) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Peanut has the same thing and I only noticed it a few years ago since that's when she finally started allowing tummy rubs. I asked the vet about it because I was worried it was cancer and the vet said it's normal in spayed kitties and nothing to worry about. So I've just been enjoying all the tummy rubs ever since and not worrying. ;) :D

catlover4ever
06-30-2004, 02:32 PM
With Tigger and Tucker you can not even tell that they were spayed...but with Mystic she has a small mass/scar where her surgery was done.

With Mystic I scheduled her spaying and got a call later in the day from the vet that said there was no charge for his services...I thought I had hit the jackpot, but it turns out that whoever her previous owners were had been very nice to have her spayed and then threw her away. :rolleyes:

jazzcat
06-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
With Mystic I scheduled her spaying and got a call later in the day from the vet that said there was no charge for his services...I thought I had hit the jackpot, but it turns out that whoever her previous owners were had been very nice to have her spayed and then threw her away. :rolleyes:
How could anybody throw her away?!:( The better for you, right?? That is what happened with my parent's cat Miss Kitty. She just showed up one day and after a few weeks of feeding her outside I finally convinced my parents to take her in. When Mom and I took her to the vet for the first time he said she had already been spayed. We don't know if she was abandoned or set out but she's had a good home now for about 7 years.

prechrswife
06-30-2004, 03:34 PM
it turns out that whoever her previous owners were had been very nice to have her spayed and then threw her away.

The same thing happened with our Samson (except he was neutered, not spayed, of course.)

kimlovescats
06-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Completely normal! Now enjoy those tummy rubs .... and rub some for me too!!!!:D :D :D