PDA

View Full Version : Do You Feel Safer????

Edwina's Secretary
06-30-2004, 01:36 PM
I was just reviewing some real estate paperwork that requires signature in front of a notary. Okay. Then....according to the Patriot's Act a government issued identification must be examined by the notary and a photocopy included with the mortgage paperwork.

Then I was trying to get something done with the State of Illinois. I must go to an office with TWO pieces of identification, at least one of which has my photo and one of which has my social security number. Of course, to protect against identity theft, my driver's license does not have my social security number. So now, I must go to the bank to get my social security card out of the lock box to prove who I am.

Don't you feel safer already????

Barbara
06-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Sara I am sure you'll feel much safer if I have to leave my fingerprints at the immigration when I come next time.

If I come next time.:p

Edwina's Secretary
06-30-2004, 03:12 PM
What do you mean if ???? :confused: I'm planning a pool party next time...:p

lynnestankard
06-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Oh Goody Sara - don't you just love it when they make things safer?!! :eek: :eek: :( :( :D

I'm glad your powers that be are as S£^&*$ as ours!:D

Lynne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-30-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh yes, I feel much safer too. Our threat of terrorist attacks is higher than it's ever been. Boy do I feel safe! :rolleyes:

Barbara, how about this, I'll leave my fingerprints next time I go to Germany if you'll leave yours next time you come here. Then the world will be entirely safe and we'll still be able to visit each other. :)

Sara, if it helps any, I'm a notary so I could sign anything that needs to be notarized - and I won't ask for any ID at all. I'll know you by the little gray and white hairs on your clothes. ;) :D

But really, if you need anything notarized, just let me know.

Cataholic
06-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Hmmm...I am thinking, and thinking....and I just don't think my notarial duties mandate any sort of government issued ID.

I suppose if it were you, Sara, that needed something notarized, I would simply require two grey and white 'documents' as proof of who you are! Who needs any other ID besides the Ees?

Edwina's Secretary
06-30-2004, 04:20 PM
I sure hope the person who normally notarizes things for me can do it because she also has to notarize that we are married!!!! (Is that because we have different last names?????) Thankfully she danced at our wedding so that shouldn't be a problem.

Big yellow letter......"In order to comply with the U.S. Patriot Act, each seller must provide a copy of a government issued identification card that includes a photo."

Big Brother is watching!

Thanks Debbie. She hasn't returned my call so I may ask for your help.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-30-2004, 04:56 PM
You have to have a notary sign that you are married??!! I've never heard of that one before.....although my boss did have to provide his marriage certificate before the health insurance company would cover his wife and kids. :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder what scams people have pulled in order to require rules/laws like this. :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

lizbud
06-30-2004, 07:43 PM
I think a notary has to sign a document that says you are who
you say you are & can require any amount of proof (other I.D.
documents) to do that. :confused:

Anyhow, no I don't feel any safer now. Paranoid yes, safer no.
It's very hard (and uncomfortable) to hold ones breath for four
long years.:D

Barbara
07-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
What do you mean if ???? :confused: I'm planning a pool party next time...:p

Up to now my fingerprints are in no official file! And as all the worldwide gangsters etc. I don't want them to be in:cool:

Lillycat
07-01-2004, 06:51 AM
hmmmmm a pool party.....does that mean you have your new property?

smokey the elder
07-03-2004, 08:21 AM
As a Libertarian I find the Patriot Act incredibly UNpatriotic, and the Supreme Court tends to agree. It is not going to protect us from terrorists. Only proper police work/detective work will protect us from terrorists. All the Patriot Act is accomplishing is diminishing our ability to compete in the world. We cannot easily hire expat scientists; expats can't come and study at our schools and maybe take something good home with them. The gummint is censoring journal articles. Export controls are an abomination. I had to prove I exist; I was born at an Army base, for Pete's sake!!!

<end of rant>:p