PDA

View Full Version : Does This Story Make Any Cents To You?

RICHARD
06-30-2004, 12:24 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~2242841,00.html

-------------------------

A penny for your thoughts?:confused:

catland
06-30-2004, 12:51 PM
which part, that he saved all those pennies, or that he's moving to Oregon?;)

RICHARD
06-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by catland
which part, that he saved all those pennies, or that he's moving to Oregon?;)

I just bit my tongue...;) :eek: :confused: :o

lv4dogs
06-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Gosh how I hate anything that has to do w/ the government.
I really think it is B.S. you should NEVER have to pay to exchange money.
It has nothing to do w/ me & it pi**ed me off royally.

I kinda know how he feels, I save all my change & turn it in yearly for my vacation, it is usually about a couple hundred or so, mind you there are many quarters, nickels & dimes too & it is hard to turn them in now-a-days.
This world is so messed up it is redicualous.

I'd be stubborn too as I would never pay money to turn in my money.

On a happy note, Oregon is one of the best states here so I hope he enjoys it there.

Cataholic
06-30-2004, 04:34 PM
While it might be beside the point, you gotta wonder WHY someone would do this. Of all the things to devote one's time to, he devoted it to collecting pennies? With such devotion, such drive, such singlemindedness, too bad he didn't spend it (get it) on something a bit more worthwhile(another money pun).

On the point, why should a bank (or any other currency center) accept 'freely' that which would cost them money to work through? I can't give my tires back to Firestone without a charge, can I? We pay to get rid of trash, don't we? We pay to recycle, or at least I do. I can't call Sears and tell them to come pick up the fridge, I am done with it, can I? Why not? I bought it from them...

I think the point is similar. Why should a private entity, like a bank, "have" to accept a ton of pennies without a service charge affixed to it? It costs the bank money to accept these coins. Why should the bank suffer for this man's ill-conceived collection?

RICHARD
06-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
While it might be beside the point, you gotta wonder WHY someone would do this. Of all the things to devote one's time to, he devoted it to collecting pennies? With such devotion, such drive, such singlemindedness, too bad he didn't spend it (get it) on something a bit more worthwhile(another money pun).

On the point, why should a bank (or any other currency center) accept 'freely' that which would cost them money to work through? I can't give my tires back to Firestone without a charge, can I? We pay to get rid of trash, don't we? We pay to recycle, or at least I do. I can't call Sears and tell them to come pick up the fridge, I am done with it, can I? Why not? I bought it from them...

I think the point is similar. Why should a private entity, like a bank, "have" to accept a ton of pennies without a service charge affixed to it? It costs the bank money to accept these coins. Why should the bank suffer for this man's ill-conceived collection?

I think you missed the point entirely....

He's a male.

Males do stupid things.

Males collect stupid stuff.

At the county fair I came across a collection of barbed wire. Neatly attached to a board with label-dated and sorted by type.

I got the idea it wasn't a woman who collected this pieces of wire-

Therefore, the reasoning behind collecting pennies will be forever a mystery to you.
;)

------------------------------------

Remember,

This is a California story.:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :( :)

moosmom
06-30-2004, 05:39 PM
That is THE dumbest thing I have ever heard of!!! Banks are getting so ridiculous these days! They won't take any large amounts of change unless they're rolled, they charge you a fee to use your OWN money when using your ATM card in a store as ATM as opposed to a charge card.

They should be ashamed of themselves!! I say either take all the pennies to a copper place to see how much he could get for them, or, if he REALLY wants a John Deere, take his pennies there and put them as a down payment.

No wonder people stuff money in their mattresses!! :mad: